Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Bypassing Neutral Safety Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 02:38 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bypassing Neutral Safety Switch?

Guys,

Anyone know which color wire is the neutral safety switch on a 93 SC300? Also, what is the best way to bypass it? Just ground it?

Thanks,
Jonny
Old 01-09-08, 02:57 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

well whut i did for my mr2 and i saw that you can do for the sc300.. is jsut go under there and pull the plug for the switch and loop them together, basically so the switch is always engaged. so you can start whenver you need to.
Old 01-09-08, 03:21 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jgdynamics
well whut i did for my mr2 and i saw that you can do for the sc300.. is jsut go under there and pull the plug for the switch and loop them together, basically so the switch is always engaged. so you can start whenver you need to.
hey man, quick questions... Where is the switch and define loop? Thx, Jonny
Old 01-09-08, 04:16 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

oooh crap, my bad... im thinking of CLUTCH SAFETY SWTICH, sorry bout that, i was reading the thread title over and over and thought it was asking about cluthc... sorry... so to answer your question, i dont knoe where it is... again sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 01-09-08, 04:19 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looping them together creates a way so that the car always thinks that the clutch pedal is pushing in the switch.

In this case, I would go to your local Radio Shack or auto parts store (WITH KNOWLEDGEABLE WORKERS) and ask them for a JUMPER. You can use that to trick the car.

I did that on an older car that I had so that I could install a remote start.
Old 01-09-08, 04:34 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Guys,

Just to reiterate - this is a Neutral Safety Switch for an automatic car. Does anyone know the wire color to ground it?

Jonny
Old 01-09-08, 04:43 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

Just to reiterate - this is a Neutral Safety Switch for an automatic car. Does anyone know the wire color to ground it?

Jonny
Are you trying to install a gated shifter?
Old 01-09-08, 05:13 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JesLet
Are you trying to install a gated shifter?
Nope A different transmission

Jonny
Old 01-09-08, 06:47 PM
ZIP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

Jonny
jumper the B-W wire in term.3 of the switch to the B wire in term.2
(The B-W wire is power from the 7.5A ST fuse. The B wire goes to the coil side of the starter relay)
Old 01-09-08, 11:20 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmiller80
Looping them together creates a way so that the car always thinks that the clutch pedal is pushing in the switch.

In this case, I would go to your local Radio Shack or auto parts store (WITH KNOWLEDGEABLE WORKERS) and ask them for a JUMPER. You can use that to trick the car.

I did that on an older car that I had so that I could install a remote start.
sorry to thread jack, but if you had the manual, couldnt you just tape or glue down the clutch switch? later, i do plan on doing that to my car too, so i can have remote start. and about the jumper, how do you loop it together?
Old 01-09-08, 11:48 PM
ZIP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pnyboy27
sorry to thread jack, but if you had the manual, couldnt you just tape or glue down the clutch switch? later, i do plan on doing that to my car too, so i can have remote start. and about the jumper, how do you loop it together?
The switch just completes the circuit for the coil side of the starter relay. I'm not sure if it is normally in the depressed position or if it gets depressed when the pedal is pushed it..depends on how it is mounted. But yes, that should work. When you "jumper" the circuit, you are just replacing the switch with a piece of wire that has the correct terminals on either end to plug in the the electrical connector in place of the switch. You could also just ghetto rig it with electrical wire taps to join the two wires.
Old 11-19-11, 09:43 AM
skipjagger
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pnyboy27

i think he is putting a manual in an automatic so there is no clutch switch to tape down in the first place.

im sure you figured this out by now, but for other searching this topic, the nutral saftey switch (for an auto) will not allow you to start the car with it in any gear but nutral or park, or(for manual) will not allow the car to start withought the clutch pedal depressed. all it is is a power wire coming from your "ignition switch" or key if you prefer. it comes down to ether the clutch pedal switch for manual or nutral saftey switch in the automatic trans. so the switch connects the starter to power so "grounding it out" will ether do nothing or blow a fuse depending on which end of the wire you ground. in order to bypass the clutch or nutral saftey switch you need to just connect the 2 wires (the one coming from the key and the one going to the starter "s" terminal, the s terminal is the small wire on the starter) together or "jumper" them so its like the switch is not there to begin with. and the starter will work when ever you turn the key to start no mater what postition the clutch or auto shifter is in
Old 11-19-11, 09:47 AM
skipjagger
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my auto to w58 swap thread has a pic of the connector under the car in it somewhere but i cant remember the color of 2 wires to cut and splice. one guy on here sayd its the black with a white tracer and the black wire i wouldn't go cutting your wiring harness b4 checking that out first!!

thats my unfinished swap how to i was working on when i get some more time ill put in more details

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...wap-sc300.html
Old 11-20-11, 06:05 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

black and white wire.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...with-pics.html

92 SC300 in there.