Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car Not Starting...What to Do???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 05:28 PM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car Not Starting...What to Do???

About a week ago I almost didn't get my car started (slow crank). Then just tonight (after it having been disabled for about a week awaiting rebuilt brake calipers - {long story**) it wouldn't start at all. No dome light or anything.

Got the battery tested and it registered fine (as it should...it's only a year old. The alternator registered one measurement below normal, but apperently within the normal range (as it should...I replaced it just this past summer along with my p.s. pump). The batt will hold a charge overnight.

I haven't yet replaced my ignition coils. Could this be the culprit? Or does this sound like a bad alternator? Or maybe something else all together?

Oddly enough, tonight when I jumped the battery the car still would not crank until maybe the 7th or 8th try. All my accessories (dome light, dash lights, power seats, etc) worked fine - except when the key was turned to start the car, they all dimmed down to almost nothing. And the real strange part is the car cranked just as slow as before the jump was hooked up. When it did finallly start, it was as if the jump had nothing at all to do with it.

Can somebody give me some idea what the problem might be? Thanks.
Old 01-03-08, 09:18 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe the starter or part of it is going bad.
Old 01-03-08, 10:59 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Starter or ground wire, I know the SC has a few grounds, that tend to go bad, I'm still a noob, so I can't really show you where to look for them...
Old 01-04-08, 04:18 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Starter or ground wire, I know the SC has a few grounds, that tend to go bad, I'm still a noob, so I can't really show you where to look for them...
That's a very good possibility. I did forget to mention that - for that past year or so - I've been experiencing a dimming of the dash lights whenever my blinkers flash. Also a dimming of the headlights whenever my foot's not on the accelerator. So this would make sense.

SC300max, you suggested the starter. Somebody else chime in here, because I've heard in the past that when a starter goes it's not a gradual thing - one day it's up, next it's down...for good. Is this accurate?
Old 01-04-08, 08:47 AM
surferlife
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats somewhat the case. starters are fricken weird that way. the symptom that gives me a reason to believe it is the starter is the fact you have full power to everything else. so that rules out ur battery and alternator. Time to replace the starter. It isnt easy but everybodys got to do it sooner or later. I would also look at ur ground wires just to be safe. It definatly wont hurt on an old coupe. just sand or file them down to bare metal and replace them if they look crusty. From the negative side, there is a ground that goes to the body by the battery, and then to the motor right by the oil filter. from the positive side, i think, to the alternator, firewall, and bellhousing.
Good luck!
Old 01-04-08, 09:40 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dimming of the interior lights when you signal or brake could mean bad grounds like ihiryu said. I had the same issue of interior lights turning completely off then back on right away when I signaled or braked. Cleaned the ground closest to the battery, but did not completely fix it. I replaced the negative battery cable with one from a 1st gen GS and have not had any issues since.