Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-07, 01:12 AM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning oil

I think I am burning oil on my 94 sc300 with 87,000 miles on it.

I bought it about month ago. everything was serviced at the dealer.

I was over on the oil change by 500 miles. When I saw the oil light come then turn off after 5 seconds. I drove to the closest oil change place and had it replaced. They said there was hardly any oil in the car.

I cant find any leaks I have been looking for about 2 weeks. I have put about 1700 miles on it since the oil change and the oil level has gone from above F to to about a little more than halfway.

What should I do?
Old 12-21-07, 03:48 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Check for oil leaks by the crank pulley, tranny bell housing, oil filter, valve covers, and cam seals. If all looks good, check the plugs for oil fouling and perform a compression test. A stock GE motor should register about 205psi (I think) per cylinder. Of course, disable the fuel system and be sure to keep the throttle body wide open when cranking the motor over. Additionally, you should crank the motor over until the guage reaches its maximum. So, the motor will have to turn over 5 or 6 times.

If the compression is bad in any one cylinder (say less than 150psi), add about a table spoon of oil to the cylinder and try the compression test again. If the compression comes up, then the rings might be shot.

If you find nothing's wrong, the only other thing it could be is the valve stem seals which is really unlikely for such a low mileage motor.

-scott
Old 12-27-07, 07:10 PM
qmanlexus2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this sound just like my old Sc300. it would do the same thing. More than likely the Valve seals are like a rock and all you oil is leaking into the cylinders while it sits overnight. after 13 years rubber just isnt the same.Use only the toyota ones and not the blue aftermarket ones. I heard from a few people not to use them. they have had problems with them.Use gen toyota. if you decide to do this,before taking the Valve covers off do a compression test also this will give you peace of mind that your rings are not your problem.