Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New 1J Swap Problems(and Noises)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-07, 12:33 AM
bbJZZ31
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 1J Swap Problems(and Noises)

So I pussied out and had a shop do my swap, but I am very unsatisfied with the job the guy did, I heard lots of good things about him, but I think he just got lost in his sucess as I dont even believe he did much of anything himself, and the guys he had working for him, in my eyes could not be certified mechanics. And I was sad to see my money wasted on a half *** swap.

ANYWAYS I'm hearing noises from under the center of the car. Loud ones like little clicks and clanks, like the kind you hear when you turn off a hot car, but louder and they are there even when the car is running. And to compound my worries there is a very slight burning smell. The exhaust is all stock except for a downpipe, so I was thinking that it was maybe something with the turbo heat on the cat or something like that, but I'd like to know what you think.

Second he also put in an R154 with a new clutch, which may be the cause for those noises as well, Idk.

help me out guys, I got the car back today, and here are a list of the things wrong i discovered

1. Tach did not work, He said I needed a new cluster and that mine was broken, I called him and told him about jumping the resistor 109, he told me that I was wrong and that i did not understand what I was talking about.

2. Speedo/Odo Not hooked up, he told me "they were working when I took it to the muffler shop" but he did not offer to fix it

3. Air/Heat Not working he said "that it should work" and he could "add some fluid" but changed the subject

4. PS is off, or as he said "on, but not going to be the same since I have a twin turbo now" I don't know if this is wrong or not.

5. Broke my fan shroud in 4 places and left in dangling by one bolt, and when I asked about it he said "it's fine, it's not touching anything" but before I made it home it fell onto the fan while it was ideling, so I taped it up, but again he did not offer to fix it.

6. The radiator hose that runs in front of the cam gear cover is about 3mm from the fanblade, and it had a fastener on it that was smacking the fan as it turned. I didn't notice that till I popped the hood when I got to my buddies house to fix the tach.

7. He "hooked me up" with a no name intake, that sometime on my way home tonight, the filter fell off and was sitting in my engine bay. Also he painted my cam gear/ spark plug covers white, maybe to distract me from all the noises, loose screws and cheap parts, but it was showing through yellow from where they write on the engine's in grease pen. and He put it on wet so it looks even worse.

Thats just what I found in the last 6 hours, The wiring is just a mess it's all taped up and in an electrical tape tube about and inch 1/2 in diamiter that runs along the firewall.

and I fixed the Tach, the fan/radiator hose, and temporaily the shroud with tape :/.

I was amazed that this well known supra mechanic would act like this.

Btw I waited 5 weeks and I paid 6200 out the door for this, tell me your thoughts on the price and service.

Sorry for grammar and spelling. I never leave long posts, but I had to this time.

Last edited by bbJZZ31; 12-20-07 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-20-07, 12:37 AM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

There are so many possibilities to what is making that sound. Your best bet is to roll the car on a jack and have it running. That way you could check out what is underneath the car and more likely pin-point there the noise is coming from.
Old 12-20-07, 07:15 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

i would demand quite a bit of a refund if i were you, sounds like he pad no attention to anything and knows it, just hopes you will quietly walk away and not complain too much, i think you should go back screaming and yelling
Old 12-20-07, 07:59 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Get some engine bay shots on here and show him how we do thing on clublexus . Maby then he might try do better quality work and give you a refund. P.S that noise may be coming from the driveshaft
Old 12-20-07, 08:13 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get a lawyer. That is completely unacceptable.
Old 12-20-07, 10:45 AM
play123boi
Pole Position

Shade tree mechanic that obviously does not pride himself on his work.
Old 12-20-07, 11:17 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
I would get a lawyer. That is completely unacceptable.
i agree, and for that price there is no way you should have spend that much on that job,
Old 12-20-07, 11:26 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

you got RIPPED!!! sue him.
Old 12-20-07, 07:18 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

I assume 6200 was WITH motor and tranny? Please don't tell me you pay'd 6,200 for labor =/
Old 12-20-07, 10:06 PM
bbJZZ31
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rexn30
I assume 6200 was WITH motor and tranny? Please don't tell me you pay'd 6,200 for labor =/
Ya it was 2500 for labor. But don't even know what to do, I can't afford to take it to someone else right now, and things are worse everytime I look there are a million noises and burning smells that I can't even begin to figure out.

And what do you guys mean by sue him, what would I even say, I wasn't satisfied and I want my money back. Idk I'm at a loss right now, that was all my money that I had to spend on the car and now I have the feeling it's going to become the money pit I didn't want, just to get it to be decent.

Last edited by bbJZZ31; 12-20-07 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-20-07, 10:29 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get in contact with some lawyers. Im serious. Take him to court. You expected a non crappy job.

Serve him.
Old 12-21-07, 05:40 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

WTF!!! i would have definitly been pissed. what was the name of the shop so others won't have that problem. doesn't seem he knows what he's talking about or doing. you should at least get a refund for the labor. talk about halfass work.
Old 12-21-07, 10:09 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

and if lawyers dont work, baseball bats do