Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anybody with welded diff's in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-07, 11:18 AM
bbJZZ31
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody with welded diff's in SoCal?

Where did you get it done, and how much did it run you?
Old 12-18-07, 12:44 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apmL0...eature=related

You might want to talk to this guy.
Old 12-18-07, 01:23 PM
bbJZZ31
Driver School Candidate

I believe he is on these fourms and I'm pretty sure he had one of his buddies do it. I was just looking for a shop. I might end up going to a 4x4 place, unless someone chimes in.
Old 12-19-07, 07:17 PM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

Originally Posted by bbJZZ31
I believe he is on these fourms and I'm pretty sure he had one of his buddies do it. I was just looking for a shop. I might end up going to a 4x4 place, unless someone chimes in.
lol one of my buddies? im a I-Car certified welder..... anyways its not hard you just have to have a good welder and get good penetration. i use a millermatic 210 any good reputable offroad shop can do it where do you live?

anyways heres my pricing
$125 welding the spiders only(you remove your own diff and bring it to me)
$325 the whole shabang(bring in your car and we do everything.)

keep in mind you get full synthetic diff fluid (royal purple or Kaaz 90w)
and say your driving on the freeway at 65mph and teh welds on your lsd break and your rear end locks up and you go flying into a mini van full of kids....

becareful who you trust your life too. goes for roll cages and diffs and any custom work.

good luck

oh i jam small bolts where the spiders touch and melt those succer in that way if the welds break(which they wont your axles will first) the bolts willl keep that sucker locked

Last edited by Sc dRifta; 12-19-07 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-19-07, 07:18 PM
Sc dRifta

oh i btw i build BITD Trophy trucks for fun!!!!!!
Old 12-19-07, 07:27 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i had mine welded for 50 bucks here in chicago suburbs. the guy does some offroad trucks and my friends used him before so i went with it. i have had it welded since august with no problems. i use it as a DD and weekend drifter the whole time.
Old 12-19-07, 09:04 PM
SO4RER
Pole Position

i had my 240sx diff welded from a known guy on zilvia for 40bucks. hes the source for socal 240sx welded diff. i had his welded diff for almost 2 years, most have been street use and few track use. held up great, absolutely no problems with it, besides veryy fast tire wear just from makinig simple turns and sqeeches which is all common with welded diffs. heres his quote.

Originally Posted by Flybert
Just letting you know that I do welded diffs in socal. We can meet up and I can weld the guts for you for $40. My dad does the welding. He is a welder for department of water and power of los angeles and has 25 years of welding experience by profession. We've done about 10 diffs and none have broken. Papershot, sochbat, aspecproducts all run my diff so you can ask any of them about their experience. Let me know because sending your diff to norcal seems like a ripoff. Pretty much I'm the socal source for welded diffs and I do all my business by reference so let any of your friends know. I prefer to weld the guts and let you do install by i can do installations for $40 more. I'm located in whittier and can meet anywhere around OC/LA and even SD because I go down there on occasion.

-Chris
Old 12-30-07, 01:13 AM
Sc dRifta

ive seen his work and the welds are solid and great ive driven a few 240's with his welds as well. repped.
Old 12-30-07, 01:31 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Isnt there a down side to this?

Besides insane tire wear?
Old 12-30-07, 01:53 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc dRifta
keep in mind say your driving on the freeway at 65mph and teh welds on your lsd break and your rear end locks up and you go flying into a mini van full of kids....
Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
Isnt there a down side to this?

Besides insane tire wear?

yea if anything does go wrong it won't be pretty.
Old 12-30-07, 01:56 AM
SO4RER
Pole Position

i had replace 2 hub bearing on the left side within 1 year for some reason, it could be welded diff related because whenever i make the u turn, the left tire takes a beating, but not really sure of the reason. i always heard of axles snapping, but that was more common on FC and S2000s. havent heard any axles breaking on 240s and SCs.
Old 12-30-07, 01:57 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lol be more specific man, what could go wrong, what are things that have gone wrong, im seriously considering this as a cheap Fix, that way i dont need to spend 1000$ on an LSD till later down the road
Old 12-30-07, 02:03 AM
SO4RER
Pole Position

nothing has really gone wrong beside the problem i mention above. only major problem i had was insane tire wear and noise. i had soild subframe bushing on my car and that thing was noisey, sounded like something was broken when ever i turn. its a ***** to drive at low speed because your tires are fighting back trying to grip the road. but overall its better then an open diff, keeps you sideways hahah.
Old 12-30-07, 02:13 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
lol be more specific man, what could go wrong, what are things that have gone wrong, im seriously considering this as a cheap Fix, that way i dont need to spend 1000$ on an LSD till later down the road
Safety wise, as long as the welds hold you will be ok. The only serious problem will occur if those welds break, granted that in drift events and such you will be exposing the car to extremes, but the real danger comes when you’re on public streets. Under normal driving (city/street use) the car should be able to hold up and not snap an axle; these cars can handle some abuse. Now I wouldn't recommend you welding the diff on a boosted SC or a BPU supra, when putting down crazy numbers you might be asking for it.

Things like uneven bearing/tire wear might be common since you will have the most primitive form of LSD, other than those few maintenance issues you should be able to get use to driving with a welded diff and do it safely.
Old 12-31-07, 06:09 PM
Sc dRifta

i couldnt have said it better if it helps i run teh rear tires at a slightly higher psi i find it to slip more easily for daily driving.

Quick Reply: Anybody with welded diff's in SoCal?