Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ignition or Accessory Wire for SC400..Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-07, 01:13 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ignition or Accessory Wire for SC400..Help!

I've been looking for the true ignition wire (not the AAC) or the accessory wire but couldn't find it. Does anyone know where it is? I already have the electric fans running in place of the hydraulic fan. I'm using the AAC source but would like use the ignition or accessory source. Thanks.
Old 12-16-07, 10:07 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you can use a relay and use the constant off the battery and to turn the relay on go to either the main fusebox under the hood or go to the ignition harness under the dash. that would be the best way. you dont want to put extra load on ignition wires that are already there. use the battery. it would be the simplest and easiest way to go. hope this helped.
Old 12-16-07, 11:39 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

The thing is I don't want to use the constant power from the battery. It's because the thermo sensor will keep making the fans running when the engine is turned off.

Last edited by stevechumo; 12-17-07 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-17-07, 10:21 AM
WICKED 1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are not understanding what the previous guy said. use a relay and it will be triggered by the ign. at the steering column. that will get enough power to run it but will only work when the car is running.
Old 12-17-07, 10:25 AM
WICKED 1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ign. is black yellow at the main harness
Old 12-17-07, 03:43 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

I am running e-fans and I used the wires that were going to the hydro fan pump to control a relay (coil side of relay), the other side of the relay (switched side) is connected to direct battery power.

Has been working well for a few weeks now, the car runs the e-fans like stock.

KC

Originally Posted by stevechumo
I've been looking for the true ignition wire (not the AAC) or the accessory wire but couldn't find it. Does anyone know where it is? I already have the electric fans running in place of the hydraulic fan. I'm using the AAC source but would like use the ignition or accessory source. Thanks.
Old 12-18-07, 12:05 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your feedback, gents. I'll look for your suggestions. I'm already using the relay to the switched 12+ source and the other side to the battery. The ignition bl/yl at the main harness might be the good choice.

KC,
Do you remember what color for the wire of the hydro pump that you're using for the switched relay? It's because the space is very limited due to the turbo system and I couldn't just take plug out and test it.

Last edited by stevechumo; 12-18-07 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-18-07, 09:11 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your feedback, gents. I'll look for your suggestions. I'm already using the relay to the switched 12+ source and the other side to the battery. The ignition bl/yl at the main harness might be the good choice.

KC,
Do you remember what color for the wire of the hydro pump that you're using for the switched relay? It's because the space is very limited due to the turbo system and I couldn't just take plug out and test it.
I used both, one wire for each side of the relay coil. Polarity shouldn't matter.

KC
Old 12-19-07, 10:37 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
I used both, one wire for each side of the relay coil. Polarity shouldn't matter.

KC
Thanks, KC. I'll try to hook it up this weekend. I hope your supercharger is running superb. Can't wait to see your car on the dyno and smoking asses.

Yours should be the first U.S. SC400 centrifugal supercharger and mine should be the first U.S. SC400 Single turbocharger. It's a coincidence that you have a 95 SC400 as I do. David (Lextreme) also has the 95 SC400 and will be the first 4.7 L twin turbo SC400. Another member is JamesN who also has the first 95 SC400 with swapped 2JZGTE. I may be wrong...

Last edited by stevechumo; 12-19-07 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-20-07, 07:31 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Don't forget to put a fuse between the battery and the swithed side of the coil. I used a 20 amp.

My car isn't running superb yet, but at this point, it's mostly a matter of tuning.

KC

Thanks, KC. I'll try to hook it up this weekend. I hope your supercharger is running superb. Can't wait to see your car on the dyno and smoking asses.

Yours should be the first U.S. SC400 centrifugal supercharger and mine should be the first U.S. SC400 Single turbocharger. It's a coincidence that you have a 95 SC400 as I do. David (Lextreme) also has the 95 SC400 and will be the first 4.7 L twin turbo SC400. Another member is JamesN who also has the first 95 SC400 with swapped 2JZGTE. I may be wrong...
Old 12-22-07, 07:28 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

KC,

I'd like to ask you 1 more question. Do your fans start running automatically at the controlled temp (I think at around 176 degree) without you turning on any switches? Thanks.
Old 12-23-07, 08:42 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

KC,

I'd like to ask you 1 more question. Do your fans start running automatically at the controlled temp (I think at around 176 degree) without you turning on any switches? Thanks.
I would assume so. I would also assume that they come one with the AC. I don't know for sure cause I have a leak and I haven't recharged it yet. So far, they haven't ever come on for very long at one time, but it's been fairly cold here.

KC
Old 12-24-07, 12:38 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

KC,

I just hooked up the relay wire to the hydraulic pump solenoid (1 wire) like you did, however, it couldn't power enough for the fans. I found out 1 wire is 4.5 Volts and the other wire is around 10 Volt. I eventually had to use the ignition wire from the cooling ECU to run the fans. So I don't know how you could get it running. All the wires that I tried are from the cooling ECU under the dash.
Old 12-24-07, 12:02 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

KC,

I just hooked up the relay wire to the hydraulic pump solenoid (1 wire) like you did, however, it couldn't power enough for the fans. I found out 1 wire is 4.5 Volts and the other wire is around 10 Volt. I eventually had to use the ignition wire from the cooling ECU to run the fans. So I don't know how you could get it running. All the wires that I tried are from the cooling ECU under the dash.
I don't know about the ECU under the dash, but I just used the wires that go to the solenoid itself (on the pump itself), under the hood. I'm pretty sure one is power and one is ground, as per the EWD and my own testing.

I hooked the wires (solenoid wires) to the coil side of a relay. The switched side of the relay goes batt source - 20 amp fuse - relay in - relay out - fans - body ground.

Works fine for me so far.

Are you sure your looking at the correct wires? Having 10volts going to a solenoid on one wire and 4.5 volts going to the same solenoid on a different wire doesn't make sense.

Also, if your only showing 10 volts, I wonder if your batt needs charged. I think when I tested I had full battery voltage.

If need be, I can scan the wiring diagram and post it or email it to you.

KC

Edit: Note, I am not using a seperate thermo sensor of any kind, in theory, the fans are turning on as they would with the stock setup.
Old 12-25-07, 12:53 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks KC,

It could be the problem with my batttery as well. But there's 1 thing that I think would be the difference between this hydro pump solenoid and the regular electric fan is this hydro fan always runs by the belt. I think that solenoid is more like a hydro pump sensor that allows more oil to go to pump to cool it down. It's not like a direct coolant sensor that works with the electric fans. If you can , please post your wiring diagram.

Quick Reply: Ignition or Accessory Wire for SC400..Help!