Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

All Motor on 1uz?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 01:14 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default All Motor on 1uz?

I've been toying with the idea of a centrif. blower. But I've also been thinking about all motor. On V-eight, there's a 1uz that's putting out 400 hp and revv'ing to 9500.

I don't know the full specs of the motor, but what do you guys think? I'm probably going to pick up another 1uz motor for a spare, from a guy that's doing the JZ swap pretty soon.

You guys think it's worth it?
Old 12-15-07, 04:05 PM
lxsv8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well worth it and a lot more fun to drive. Mine is a raptor which is putting out around 310hp at the wheels.

All Motor on 1uz?-engine-bay.jpg
Old 12-15-07, 05:25 PM
Zeal3
Pole Position

it is definitely is unique.
i think it would be dope idea. an All motor 1uz sounds amazing. especially one thats a sleeper inside and outside. another breed of sc whoop ***.
Old 12-15-07, 09:17 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ihiryu
I've been toying with the idea of a centrif. blower. But I've also been thinking about all motor. On V-eight, there's a 1uz that's putting out 400 hp and revv'ing to 9500.

I don't know the full specs of the motor, but what do you guys think? I'm probably going to pick up another 1uz motor for a spare, from a guy that's doing the JZ swap pretty soon.

You guys think it's worth it?
There is an Aussie on Lextreme forums with a 1UZ revving to 9200. It is one of the cooler 1UZ motors on the planet. It makes over 500hp on premium pump fuel.

Here is the dyno graph:

Here is the mod list:
Rods
12.5 comp pistons
330 deg cams with .430" lift
cam buckets
springs
36mm inlet
32mm exh
raised ports
50mm slide plate itb's
siemens piezo crystal injectors
exhaust
dry sump (incredible by the way)
motec m800
motec 8 channel cdi
etc.

This engine is RACE ONLY. To make power at 9000, the cam profile is so severe that the engine idles at ~1800 rpm and does not make any serious power until over 4500rpm. This set up is not streetable at all. It is also one of those that, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

Here is the car that motor resides in:

If you wanted to make the 1UZ an awesome street engine all motor, you would need an ITB intake, cams, high compression pistons, headers, exhaust, and a standalone to alter the rev limiter.

A 1UZ going to ~7250 all motor is more possible in a street car with the set up outlined above (in my opinion). Although, at that point, you are making 350whp...and you could have done that for less coin with a centrifugal blower, roots blower, twin screw blower, or turbocharger(s).

Here is the thread for the racing motor by the way: http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8431
Old 12-15-07, 09:56 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

pretty much what he said.

Intake
headers
full exhaustoversized valves
port and polish
high compresion
itbs
etc

All motor is sweet but forced induction is easier and cheaper...

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 12-15-07 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-15-07, 10:18 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Wow I didn't expect so many replies. Hats off to Blizzy, thanks for that post! Anyway, ITB's are pretty hard to tune for street driving don't you think? If you don't think it's worthwhile without ITB's, then I guess I'll be ordering the "Fish" bracket pretty soon then.

Just hearing an all motor 1UZ making that much power just shows that we 1UZ'ers have a lot of room to grow, just need to find more people willing to have more interested in the motor!
Old 12-16-07, 06:57 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Wow I didn't expect so many replies. Hats off to Blizzy, thanks for that post! Anyway, ITB's are pretty hard to tune for street driving don't you think? If you don't think it's worthwhile without ITB's, then I guess I'll be ordering the "Fish" bracket pretty soon then.

Just hearing an all motor 1UZ making that much power just shows that we 1UZ'ers have a lot of room to grow, just need to find more people willing to have more interested in the motor!
Check out SoarerCentral for information on ITB set ups. There are dozens of guys running them. Most see a signigicant power boost of the stock intake system. There are a good number of guys with ITB, cams, and headers making 180-200rwkw (240-270whp).

For the price of cams, buy a supercharger head unit. For the price of ITBs, buy an intercooler, piping kit, and a BOV. For the price of pistons, buy some injectors and a fuel controller. Now, you can boost 8psi safely and make in the neighborhood of 350whp.

The main advantage to an ITB set up is the harmony played by the intake manifold. Check out this video of a Kiwi with ITBs. It sounds ridiculous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba8sT2BQ4uc

Another thing I failed to mention about the car described in the post above is that they have to rebuild it every 2500km (~1500mi). Clearly, such a set up is only for race.
Old 12-16-07, 07:47 AM
vinh
Lexus Champion

sounds like you need to go buy a mustang/camaro or something haha

just kidding, i think its damn well worth it. The smoother/tourquey powerband of a NA built v8 still makes me want to pull down my pants and pleasure myself.

I'm personally a boost or nothing man because i come from rice rockets, but everytime i ride in some of my friends mustangs its a totally different kind of knock your head back in the seat feeling
Old 12-19-07, 12:34 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

I'm all about being boost fed, but I miss the feeling of all the power when you mash the gas, not about spool. Just knowing the power is there. But I guess I'm set on going boosted right now. I might just save my money and go with MVP's twin turbo kit for it