Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

To much junk under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-07, 07:02 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To much junk under the hood

Im sure someone has ranted about this before but here it goes again. I realize that our SCs began life as a high-end lux-sport car, but now we want to make them sport- lux cars. I wish there was an easy DIY on removing the ABS brake system, Trac.- control, and cruise control. Our cars would be so much less cluttered under the hood, be more appealing to the eye, and easier to work on(mod).
Old 11-24-07, 07:06 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you really want to removed the ABS you really can there are kits out there for any car. cruise control is easy to remove just pull the motor off and your done. i dont belive in rremoving everything. im going NA-t and am running a front facing intake manifold so i had to removed my CC, didnt have a point anymore
Old 11-24-07, 07:31 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

i never use cruise control and plan on removing it, ABS is nice to have.. but once you upgrade to a big brake kit you have to disable it, so why not remove it then any ways. Trac. Control.. A must to keep if it works like the mk4's
Old 11-24-07, 07:33 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

I dont think that the SCs are dependent on trac. control, and I will never drive mine in the snow.
Old 11-24-07, 07:45 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Trac. control isnt just for the snow. Look at 1/4 mile times for BPU supras with trac. control and ones without, big difference.
Old 11-24-07, 07:51 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Trac. control isnt just for the snow. Look at 1/4 mile times for BPU supras with trac. control and ones without, big difference.

Ya the ones with TC are much slower... Im not sure where you got your info from but most Supra owners remove their traction butterfly..
Old 11-24-07, 07:58 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Not to mention the removal of all that stuff would lighten the car,esp. the ABS. Anyone got a link to a place that sells ABS delete kits?
Old 11-25-07, 02:45 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joewitafro
i never use cruise control and plan on removing it, ABS is nice to have.. but once you upgrade to a big brake kit you have to disable it, so why not remove it then any ways. Trac. Control.. A must to keep if it works like the mk4's

Why do big brakes make you disable the ABS?
Old 11-25-07, 03:09 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you want to take off all these features, half of them are safety related, there for your benefit.

If I am to remove the traction control, I would just go ahead and replace it with a more sophisticated system.

And I would agree with whitesc3, unless your using something new like the racelogic which is a very advanced trac system and totally customizable. And with the racelogic system you will need the ABS for it to function.
Old 11-25-07, 05:02 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

I would rather have a less complicated engine bay with more room to work on the engine, and do mods.
Old 11-25-07, 07:12 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

I can see trashing CC inwhich I did but taking ABS off?? That pointless unless you like to slide when you hit the breaks..
Old 11-25-07, 08:13 PM
fonzo
Pole Position

to each his own! good luck with your project!
Old 11-26-07, 09:39 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my abs pump has been bad since last november so i just pulled the abs solenoid and relay. drove the whole winter up to now with no abs with no problems. down-shifting helps too i guess. i dont like abs because if i to a drift event it really feels weird on the track. i dont have trac to begin with since it a 5sp so im done with that mod.
Old 11-26-07, 10:39 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The cruise control is incredibly simple to pull out - when I swapped my '98 Supra wheel I didn't have the 3-spoke cruise stalk for it so I just pulled the cruise out.

I have tons and tons of stuff removed from my engine bay. I have like 4 vacuum lines and a ton of room to get to things. If you'd like I'll PM you some of what I've done and pics.
Old 11-27-07, 12:17 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnar
The cruise control is incredibly simple to pull out - when I swapped my '98 Supra wheel I didn't have the 3-spoke cruise stalk for it so I just pulled the cruise out.

I have tons and tons of stuff removed from my engine bay. I have like 4 vacuum lines and a ton of room to get to things. If you'd like I'll PM you some of what I've done and pics.
Make a post or put those pics in an album with descriptions here. I want to see aswell and im sure you dont want to pm a million people

Quick Reply: To much junk under the hood