Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ Swap info for 1jz vvti into a 99sc

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-07, 06:09 PM
96sc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ Swap info for 1jz vvti into a 99sc

I asked this once before, but no one has done this yet, i have checked out club na-t as well, most swaps are for the standard non vvti motors that i have read about. Has anyone done this swap on here, does anyone know of any usefull links? I was told it is a direct drop in swap.
Old 12-02-07, 01:23 PM
Djdot2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find body plug pin outs for the 99 SC, and if possible for the vvti 1j. Find out if the 99 SC body plug pin outs are identical to the 1j's. Chances are they are not. While the harness is being extended, make nececito modifications. Plug the motor & ecu in. Press play
Old 12-02-07, 01:44 PM
Djdot2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SCdrifter
these are some of the things i can think of about the swap into a sc300:
1.extend the wiring harness 2'1" and its best to cut and heat shrink the new solder connections then once finished wrap very tightly with electrical tape.DO NOT CUT THE KNOCK SENSOR WIRES.i had the biggest mess with that. they are the bigger brown coaxial wires in the loom. i suggest either running brand new wires or take the wires off your old 2jzge.

2.be prepared to buy new motor mounts. 3 out of 4 broke due to age while taking both motors out

3.when you remove the factory sc air box you will see a "pop out" for the inter cooler piping to route through.there is also a bracket off the clip you need to pull off to mount the factory soarer side-mount. its near the passenger side tow hook on both cars.

4.everything bolts up including the stock exhaust to the 1jzgte down pipe.

5.you will either have to use the soarer throttle cable(which is way to long) or you can buy the mkiv supra throttle cable. the stock cables is inches too short.

6.you can also use the brakes off the clip and rear cross member. they are 1" bigger rotors and "beefier" calipers

here some websites you can go to.
http://www.***********/
http://www.supraforums.com/ under the mkiii section then 1jz/2jz swap info
http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html

tips for the swap:
its best to unplug the harness from inside the car. unplug the clips from the ecu and there are a couple of clips around there you need to unplug included a blue clip for the airbags(i think, not sure its been a while) thats kinda hard to get to. you will see what im talking about when you try to pull the harness out from the engine bay and it doesn't slide out. i didn't pull the harness off the motor its just more work you don't need to do. after i pulled the 1jz out of the clip and put the motor on a engine stand i pulled the motor next to a table to extend the harness. its just easier that way
for a 5-speed car you need to run a wire off the starter to the ignition to bypass the neutral start switch.we were finished with the swap and it wouldn't crank so it took us several hours looking at wiring diagrams to find that the ecu didn't know it was in "park" so it wouldn't turn over.
theres probably a lot more to it than this but i cant think of anything else thats difficult. email me with any questions at
Drift180sxlsd@hotmail.com

good luck and remember there will always be things that come up that you didn't plan spending money on so make sure you have some extra bank before the swap(motor mounts,throttle cable,extra wire,and so on)
That last sentence above by SCdrifter is most important in my opinion. Also emission issues will arise, you will be going from OBD 2 to OBD NILL. Do a little research and good luck.