Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz head swap questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 09:44 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts
Default 1jz head swap questions.

I've Searched. Lots. SF/clublexus/na-t forums.. Nothing really gives me the straight forward answers from the knowledgeable, so please bare with me.

swapping a 1jzgte head onto the stock ge bottom end requires exactly what? Heres what I know so far.

head bolts straight on, need to tap into the oil line for a supply feed for the turbo (what the NA-T guys do right?), TT oil pump with magnetic pickup for crank sensor?, 1jzgte soarer wiring harness with ecu (5spd or auto work?).

I will be using an mkIII supra R154 with the shifter linkage modified and 1jz bellhousing, mk3 R154 front drive shaft.. Thats not really the main problem I see myself incountering though.

Its the wiring. So, soarers came 1jzgte stock in japan, so that means the body plugs and everything should plug right together with the soarer ecu/engine harness. Tach and water temp needs the resister jumped. And all I have to do is extend the harness about 2feet?

Is there any thing I missed or is it really that simple.
*puts flame suit on* I know this has been talked about a LOT, but it seems all the writeups are for a 2jzgte head swap in an Mk4 or a complete 1jzgte engine swap rather than just the head swap.
Old 11-19-07, 11:36 AM
100mgbluep
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225971
Old 11-19-07, 12:28 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Like i said, i've searched SF, i've seen that post. I am looking specifically for someone who's done this in an SC300.. Not an mk4.
Old 11-19-07, 02:12 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Swapping a 1jzgte head onto the stock ge bottom end requires exactly what? Heres what I know so far.

Head bolts straight on, need to tap into the oil line for a supply feed for the turbo (what the NA-T guys do right?)

CORRECT

, TT oil pump with magnetic pickup for crank sensor?, 1jzgte soarer wiring harness with ecu (5spd or auto work?).

CORRECT

I will be using an mkIII supra R154 with the shifter linkage modified and 1jz bellhousing, mk3 R154 front drive shaft..

This fabrication can be difficult and costly. It may be easier to find a Soarer R154 or even a V160.

Its the wiring. So, soarers came 1jzgte stock in japan, so that means the body plugs and everything should plug right together with the soarer ecu/engine harness. Tach and water temp needs the resister jumped. And all I have to do is extend the harness about 14 inches?

CORRECT

Is there any thing I missed or is it really that simple.
Try to pick up the JDM MKIV map sensor and injectors. This will compensate for the larger displacement tuning. The stock twins WILL NOT last with the extra displacement! So consider going single and re-machine USDM cams to maximize power.
Old 11-19-07, 03:37 PM
joewitafro
Racer

I plan to go single right away and not even bother trying to find the twins. Since i can pick up a 1jzgte head for about $400 i could sell the twins off and make 50 bucks or something. I was going to go for a ebay soarer manifold that I will reinforce with a GT4067 or something along that nature (65-67mm). I know about the cams and thats a good idea, but can you explain the jdm mk4 map sensor? Is that because the sc300 is an AFM setup and the 1jz is map sensor? Injectors.. 550 mk4 injectors would work if I used the mk4 resister pack? until I upgraded to 680's or 720's that is.

Edit:: I was looking at oil line kits for the NA-T's such as boost werx's and boost logics.. Do these require you to drill any thing in the pan or block? I wish I could find a write up or some pictures showing this but the ones on supraforums have been down for a while.

Last edited by joewitafro; 11-19-07 at 07:36 PM.