Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Head Gasket? ECU? or Blow the Car up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 07:51 AM
powrserj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket? ECU? or Blow the Car up?

Ok before anyone asks I have been searching since 11pm lastnight its about 10am already I have went through hell.

So the story.

I went to get my Suspension done (No I am not Blaming the Mechanic) but when he changed the suspension he forgot to put the plastic that goes in the drivers wheel well. I could have sworn I read somewhere the ECU wires or something goes through that area. Correct me if I am wrong.

So he brings me the car back ran just fine. Drove him home and odd thing I never turned the heat on it was pretty nice but the car was driving normal. So I pull up to his place and notice the Temp Gauge is rising about a Quarter pass the Halfway mark so I turn it off. Pop the hood let it cool down and then turned the heat on and waited and was normal. Car drove just fine all the way back. I use to burn oil slightly before not sure why never cared car has like 186K on it and its a 92. So now I notice when I get home and the car cools down it needs some Coolant about a Quart only nothing crazy but there was Rust on the cap and in the radiator.
So now I let the car run and put 2 Bottles of Fuel Injector cleaner in the car thinking might have been crappy gas or something. Let it run drove it around even went on the highway the car pulls still not as hard but not a dramatic drop. The car's idle seems fine not like its lower but it sputters now. Feels harsh but the Gauge seems fine like normal. For a instance the car drove normal then sputtered then went normal. So now I am thinking since i got the car the Plugs, Cap, Wires nothing was really changed. I doubt even the Coolant or anything else was changed.

So it has white smoke coming out the pipes and I see fluid build up like water. It doesnt smell like burning coolant but my exhaust has a hole in it which use to cause white smoke but never like this. The car is beat up I got it for dirt cheap and am about to do a Full Tuneup but trying to figure out if the HG went bad.

So now I know first thing to do is Compression Test but any idea if not having that Plastic in the Wheel Well would it cause the ECU wires or anything of that sort cause this?

HELP!

Last edited by powrserj; 11-14-07 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-14-07, 08:00 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by powrserj
Ok before anyone asks I have been searching since 11pm lastnight its about 10am already I have went through hell.

So the story.

I went to get my Suspension done (No I am not Blaming the Mechanic) but when he changed the suspension he forgot to put the plastic that goes in the drivers wheel well. I could have sworn I read somewhere the ECU wires or something goes through that area. Correct me if I am wrong.

So he brings me the car back ran just fine. Drove him home and odd thing I never turned the heat on it was pretty nice but the car was driving normal. So I pull up to his place and notice the Temp Gauge is rising about a Quarter pass the Halfway mark so I turn it off. Pop the hood let it cool down and then turned the heat on and waited and was normal. Car drove just fine all the way back. I use to burn oil slightly before not sure why never cared car has like 186K on it and its a 92. So now I notice when I get home and the car cools down it needs some Coolant about a Quart only nothing crazy but there was Rust on the cap and in the radiator.
So now I let the car run and put 2 Bottles of Fuel Injector cleaner in the car thinking might have been crappy gas or something. Let it run drove it around even went on the highway the car pulls still not as hard but not a dramatic drop. The car's idle seems fine not like its lower but it sputters now. Feels harsh but the Gauge seems fine like normal. For a instance the car drove normal then sputtered then went normal. So now I am thinking since i got the car the Plugs, Cap, Wires nothing was really changed. I doubt even the Coolant or anything else was changed.

So it has white smoke coming out the pipes and I see fluid build up like water. It doesnt smell like burning coolant but my exhaust has a hole in it which use to cause white smoke but never like this. The car is beat up I got it for dirt cheap and am about to do a Full Tuneup but trying to figure out if the HG went bad.

So now I know first thing to do is Compression Test but any idea if not having that Plastic in the Wheel Well would it cause the ECU wires or anything of that sort cause this?

HELP!

ECU wiring is not in the wheel well. Lots of people drive without the fender well liner on and I have never heard of anyone having problems.

Do you have a white milky residue in your coolant/radiator?

Jonny
Old 11-14-07, 08:11 AM
powrserj
Driver

Cant really tell I need to stick something in there or pull a hose to check. Does the SC300 have a coolant bottle or its just the Radiator I can check through. Oh yea forget to say No Check Engine lights on either.
Old 11-14-07, 08:17 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Cant really tell I need to stick something in there or pull a hose to check. Does the SC300 have a coolant bottle or its just the Radiator I can check through. Oh yea forget to say No Check Engine lights on either.
Yes, in front of the radiator there is a coolant overflow.

The HG won't cause a CEL.

Jonny
Old 11-14-07, 08:37 AM
powrserj
Driver

Ok so I cant tell thanks to the Rust so I looked at the Exhaust and the white smoke is causing alot of Moisture to the point its dripping out a little hole on the exhaust tip. Can I stick something in the radiator to see the fluid ?
Old 11-14-07, 08:44 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, I am an idiot. I meant to check the oil for white milky stuff, not the coolant

Everything is indicating yes. Best bet is a compression test though

Jonny
Old 11-14-07, 10:06 AM
powrserj
Driver

HmMm oil doesnt look burnt and dont see any milky stuff.
Old 11-14-07, 10:08 AM
gldndrgn14
Pole Position

also, white smoke usually means youre burning oil. i bet your piston oil rings are gone. either that or valve seals are leaking to cause that much smoke.
Old 11-14-07, 10:21 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
ECU wiring is not in the wheel well. Lots of people drive without the fender well liner on and I have never heard of anyone having problems.

Jonny

There is wiring in the wheel well Jonny. If you take the liner out and continously bottom out you WILL wear through the wires.

I just forget what actual wires are there and on which side of the car.
Old 11-14-07, 10:23 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

So the story.

HELP!

I say it's Karma for "never caring" about an oil issue and failing to repair that but instead having the suspension done.

The old appearance before being mechanically sound issue. The SC's are rebelling.
Old 11-14-07, 10:24 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by gldndrgn14
also, white smoke usually means youre burning oil. i bet your piston oil rings are gone. either that or valve seals are leaking to cause that much smoke.
Blue smoke means burning oil. White smoke is indicitive of coolant.
Old 11-14-07, 12:22 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

drop in a low mileage motor.

motor about 400
labor about 500 or do it yourself.
Old 11-14-07, 12:29 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mkorsu
There is wiring in the wheel well Jonny. If you take the liner out and continously bottom out you WILL wear through the wires.

I just forget what actual wires are there and on which side of the car.
Hey man,

I know there is wiring down there, but not ECU wiring.

Jonny
Old 11-14-07, 11:22 PM
powrserj
Driver

Time to do a 1jz swap a bit too soon but eh... worth it.
Old 11-14-07, 11:31 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by gldndrgn14
buzzzzzz incorrect answer.

BLUE smoke is oil, white smoke is moisture. They are a completely different chemical make up and only smoke one way. Your eyes may perceive it as white until you see what white moisture smoke actually looks like and you'll never make the mistake again.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket? ECU? or Blow the Car up?