Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Am I the only one who cannot deal with the crappy gas mileage of the SC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-07, 09:01 AM
ecstaticSC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the only one who cannot deal with the crappy gas mileage of the SC?

Mods- dont move this is not about asking how to improve gas mileage.

I like(not love) the SC but it seems that with 21 mpg that I am getting out of the car and rising gas prices, I cannot deal with it anymore. I am seriously thinking of getting a civic hatch, I don't really care about "class". My dad is trying to talk me out of selling the car, he doesn't want to see it go, lol. I am a student taking 16 credit hours this semester and can't put in more time at work, oh and I am putting $20 in every two days.

/end rant.

Cliffs
-mad about rising gas prices and SC gas mileage
-thinking of getting a gas efficient vehicle

Last edited by ecstaticSC; 11-12-07 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-12-07, 09:09 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

buy a cheap second car which gets good mileage lol.
crx's and 240s are prety cheap, get decent gas mileage too.
Old 11-12-07, 09:17 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't you ask your dad to help you to pay for gas since you are going to college?
Old 11-12-07, 09:20 AM
ecstaticSC
Racer

My dad will not help me, he wants me to learn how to budget my money.
Old 11-12-07, 09:24 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

MPG in the SC sucks. I was lucky enough to get a daily driver to help. But if I was in your shoes, i'd dump the SC for a small Honda.
Old 11-12-07, 09:38 AM
acenase
Pole Position

If you can't afford the gas, you can't afford the car. Get the Civic.
Old 11-12-07, 09:43 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would hate to see a 97 sc go too, but if you think it is that bad then do what you gotta do.

Analysis:

A civic hatch lets say gets about 30mpg mixed and you only need regular octane depending on certain vtec engines which take only premium.
The SC you say gets 21mpg and needs to run on premium.
If mpg/cost of fuel is your main concern then the Civic wins obviously.

Assuming gas is $3/gallon and lets say you spend $21 (instead of $20 to yield more round numbers) every 2 days. Thats about 7 gallons of gas you put into the SC (21mpg). That means you travel about 147miles every 2 days.

Assuming the same info as above, with no regards to octane needed, the Civic hatch at 30mpg will yield 210 miles of driving. As a result the civic can get about 63 miles more than the SC. From the above information you travel about 73 (147/2) miles a day. So for the Civic, it means you have to fill up about every 3 days instead of every 2 for the $21 you put in. Its up to you to decide if that difference is worth it.

The Civic can get about 63 miles more out of the $21 that you spend on gas for the SC. In order for the SC to reach the 210 miles that the Civic gets, you would have to spend an extra $9 (63/21mpg X $3/gallon). That $9 every few days can add up if you are tight on cash.

Another possibility is maybe trade cars with your dad, assuming he has a more economical car, since he doesn't want to see it go. That way you can save money on gas and get to drive it from time to time.
Old 11-12-07, 12:54 PM
k4rr
Driver

There are alot of free things you can do to increase gas mileage. Search online things like tire pressure. Shutting your off at stop lights. All kinds of things.
Old 11-12-07, 01:55 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just do what I did... well it may not work for you... BUT.

I got myself one of those credit cards where you get back cash for buying gas.

Now this particular card gives me 5% back on gas and 3% back on anything else.. We have 4 vehicles... My dads work van, my moms 4runner, my SC400 and a chevy conversion van from 84 which my brother drives around. We do lots of driving... so say we fill up the tanks on all 4 vehicles twice for the month.

If we fill up all of them lets just go with 400 for all 4... theres 20 bucks. It ain't much but i'll take it over nothing.

Theres no annual fee on the card and the APR is low.
Old 11-12-07, 03:32 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy a cheap DD. I picked up a '95 Integra ridiculously cheap and I use that when I'm going on errands and back to see family (an hour+ away).
Old 11-12-07, 04:29 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

I've got 3 cars, and I drive the crappiest one daily! $800 89 integra, this thing gets 34mpg all day long!
Old 11-12-07, 10:51 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can absolutely sell the 97 SC, since there is a good demand for the newer body style. There is no doubt that you could not only trim the bottom line by going for a more fuel efficient vehicle, but you would be saving more money daily as well.

You can always come back and buy another SC when you graduate, have a salary, and no worries about gas money any more. There is no doubt that the SC is an awesome car with tons of potential should you chose to tap it. There is also no doubt that Honda builds a damn reliable four banger that will not suck gas by anyone's standards.

If I were you, I would sell the SC, buy a Honda that costs half the price to save money both now and later.
Old 11-13-07, 02:23 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i get like 23mpg in the city and a descent 25-27 on the highway. that granny driving it on the daily though. i was actually going to trade my sc300 5speed straight up for a 2000 civic hatch that had a civic si b16 swap and a bunch of suspension work including stance coilovers. still kinda wish i got that hatch.

id say buy a civic and come back to the sc club later on. I'm in college too right now and have 18 hours or mechanical engineering bs to deal with. i know how u feel about the car and gas prices as well.
Old 11-13-07, 05:25 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You get that much mileage and still complain?

I get 14 mpg on a good week. (That's with 440hp tho...)

It's a heavy luxobarge, fellas. If you're college students on a tight budget, you should be driving college student on a tight budget cars.

What will happen when you need to service the car or a single expensive part breaks on it? $40 a week in gas is nothing compared to a $300 sensor, a $700 body part, or an $1,100 60k service.

Sell the car.

A 4-banger Civic, Corolla, or Camry is right up your alley. They are fantastic cars that never die.

Or if someone else is buying, a Mini Cooper is the most fun you can have in a car with your clothes on at upper 30's mpg. I daily drive one and love it.
Old 11-13-07, 05:47 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Gas milage sucks for these cars ,especially when its on boost . You should park it up until you can afford gas .My daily driver is a 95 civic coupe dx bone stock .The only mod on that car is the head unit i installed in there a couple days ago and the gas milage on it is amazing .since my sc was totalled i saved about 120 dollars driving the civic .Im thinking about getting a 95 civic hatch cx .gas milage is even better than the dx the japan version vtec-e is another motor that gives you 35+ mpg

Quick Reply: Am I the only one who cannot deal with the crappy gas mileage of the SC?