Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Soarer 1jz swap in sc300?

Old 05-20-09, 05:41 PM
rustednail
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Soarer 1jz swap in sc300?

Hello everyone. I'm am pretty new to the forums and Lexus/Toyotas in genernal. I have been searching but need some clairification on a 1jz motor swap. If I get a complete Soarer 1JZ swap (engine, trans, ecu, harness, etc...), will it run with minimal work? I read that some mods need to be done to make the tach work and extending the wiring harness. Other than those two things, is there anything else I need to get the motor running? I read somewhere you will need the maf and igniter too? Thanks
Old 05-20-09, 11:47 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 1jz does not have an MAF but rather a MAP sensor that goes near the back of the manifold. All you have to do is extend the harness, ground a body plug wire for the temp, and solder in a resistor for the tach. While the motor is out I would go ahead and do spark plugs, timing belt, water pump, and seals as well.
Old 05-21-09, 08:15 AM
rustednail
Pole Position

ah ok. So its pretty much a direct swap. Ive done tons os B series swaps on Hondas so it shouldn't be so hard for me. I was jus unsure about the wiring. I found a great price on a complete soarer auto 1jz (1300). My car is an auto
Old 05-21-09, 01:16 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OneJay
The 1jz does not have an MAF but rather a MAP sensor that goes near the back of the manifold. All you have to do is extend the harness, ground a body plug wire for the temp, and solder in a resistor for the tach. While the motor is out I would go ahead and do spark plugs, timing belt, water pump, and seals as well.
clarification on this body plug wire to ground, you speak of sir... tks!
Old 05-21-09, 01:23 PM
ucfa4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its pretty much a direct swap considering it comes out of the same car, only difference is rhd. You should do basic maintenance while the motor is out. If you search you should find your answers.
Old 05-21-09, 01:42 PM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

I am in the middle of this swap myself and havent done a swap before and its pretty much a direct swap except for the few things mentioned above like the temp gauge, tach, and wiring harness (this is the hardest part- i sent mine to Dr.Tweak at phenoixtuning.com)

I would definitely do all the maintenance while the engine is out, like spark plugs, orings, gaskets, seals, timing belt (either greddy $$$ or Izuzu trooper 2.6L 4cyclinder will work the same and is like $28 compared to $140 for greddy), water pump, and you will prob have to keep your stock alternator even though it puts out like 10 less amps (the one that comes with the motor has a different connector= round not oval)

I believe that much sums up the swap from what I can think of. I will let you know if anything else comes up.

**will be posting pics of my car b4 and after swap and swap pics in about 2 weeks

97sc300 auto soon to be = 1jz sc300tt r154 5spd
Old 05-21-09, 02:03 PM
rustednail
Pole Position

There should be no problem with the swap since its an auto to auto right? Also, how much did you pay to have Dr. Tweak extend your harness?

Last edited by rustednail; 05-21-09 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-21-09, 02:05 PM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rustednail
There should be no problem with the swap since its an auto to auto right?
That is correct, as long as you get the ecu with the swap
Old 05-21-09, 02:07 PM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OneJay

hey OneJay, did you do the swap and wiring yourself, or have a shop do it? I'll be looking into 1jz or 2jz sometime soon and might need some pointers while swapping motors
Old 05-21-09, 02:43 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Luv2xl
clarification on this body plug wire to ground, you speak of sir... tks!
From CCC-TT's thread where I got a lot of my info.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ventually.html
To make your temp gauge work, ground pin 24 on the same white plug on the body side(IK2). It is a brown/black wire between a pink and a black wire. I t-tapped into the brown/black wire and used the body ground behind the kick panel.
Originally Posted by 2turbo1sup
hey OneJay, did you do the swap and wiring yourself, or have a shop do it? I'll be looking into 1jz or 2jz sometime soon and might need some pointers while swapping motors
Ya I did it with a couple other friends. I'll be glad to help out. PM me for my number if you want to!
Old 05-21-09, 04:30 PM
rustednail
Pole Position

i also have another question. My car is a 97 which is OBD2. Is there anything special I have to pay attention to? or will it work just fine. The county my car is register does not have emission not even a visual inspection. Thanks
Old 05-21-09, 05:06 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

ooh...I'm not too sure about that. I have no experience with OBD2, but I'm pretty sure there are some differences in the wiring or something.....
Old 05-22-09, 07:50 AM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

My car is an OB2 since its a 97 as well and I had now clue about the wiring but the best person to ask about wiring i think is red phenoix. As long as the 1jz is from a soarer it is pretty straigh forward, So far doing my swap there hasnt been anything really to different than anything mentioned in the swaps and i believe between onejay and I we covered all issues you will prob run into
Old 05-22-09, 07:57 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Don't forget to buy the supra motor mounts as well, and the supra throttle cable.
Old 05-22-09, 08:36 AM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

True indeed definately forgot to mention that you will need to obtain a new throttle cable as your will be too short. You can buy the supra motor mounts unless your original mounts are in good condition than you can just keep those or buy replacement once for the sc300 will work fine too(a direct fit and less $$)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Soarer 1jz swap in sc300?