Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Air filter question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-07, 09:55 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Air filter question

I've been doing a little reading on how to improve my gas milage since its horrible right now (sc400). Last I checked I was getting 12mpg and thats driving like a granny. It was mixed driving a little city a little highway.

Anyway I came up with a short list of things to check after searching around the forums:

Spark Plugs
Distributors
Fuel Filter
Seafoam
Seafoam Gas Tank
Air Filter
Check O2 Sensors
Synthetic Oil
New cat converter or catback exhuast (saving this for when i drop the turbo in)
Tune the emanage =P
Spark Plug Wires

Should I follow the DIY and do the BFI or would it be better to rip out the air box and slap on one of those 3 inch cone looking filters?

Last edited by Curry; 10-28-07 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-28-07, 09:57 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

do the BFI much better if done right then just a cone filter.
Old 10-28-07, 11:42 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i have a cone filter hah.. n then a AC duct to guide the air to the filter..

ur best bet if your going to use the Cone is to make a nice heat shield.. itll give you colder air and cleaner air as well.

also to add on the list. change the spark wires as well.
Old 10-28-07, 11:50 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the tips guys.

I guess for now I'll work on the BFI.

Should I invest in the K&N drop in filter or get the OEM filter?

I'm eventually going to lose the box when I go turbo... unless... I wonder if it makes a difference... using the BFI with the turbo... ?
Old 10-28-07, 01:56 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OEM filter is fine. There have been stories where the k&n oil gets into the maf causing malfunction. I believe it happens when people re-oil it. Haven't found a definite answer because some people say it does and some say it doesn't.
Also keep in my if you seafoam, change the spark plugs after and not before you seafoam.
Old 10-28-07, 04:12 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get 21 when I drive like a granny, your car must really be running bad. How many miles?
Old 10-28-07, 04:15 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Its got about 181k. Runs great overall minus the gas milage.

My plan was to give it the tune up once I started working on the turbo since I wasn't driving the car much BUT I ended up having to do more driving so now I'm going to tune it up.

Last edited by Curry; 10-28-07 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-28-07, 04:20 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

I would have to wonder if you have restriction with the center cat. The plugs and wires should help, and I hope youve done the fuel filter already.
Old 10-28-07, 04:31 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

A friend mentioned that to me also about the cat being a potential problem. I plan to change that as well once I get the routine maintainence done.

I've got a highflow cat here from magnaflow, not sure if it will work or not, its got a 2.5 inch inlet and outlet.

Don't worry the fuel filter is next on my list right now. I was busy doing brakes and rotors this week.
Old 10-28-07, 04:50 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for some reason when i drive like a granny.. 65 in freeways.. i get worse MPG .. when i drive like 75-80
hmm
maybe its my benefit :]
Old 10-28-07, 04:53 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300max
OEM filter is fine. There have been stories where the k&n oil gets into the maf causing malfunction. I believe it happens when people re-oil it. Haven't found a definite answer because some people say it does and some say it doesn't.
Also keep in my if you seafoam, change the spark plugs after and not before you seafoam.
O_O'' i just oiled my cone filter... imma prepare for the worse now...

so far droveabout 60 miles.. no prob so far
Old 10-28-07, 05:07 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats good to hear man. I think the issue is that some people spray too much oil on the filter when re-oiling it.
Old 10-28-07, 08:42 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

You can always do the "car wash cat" Go drive your car for a bit, get it nice and warm, then go to a car wash, shut off the car, and start spraying water in it until the water starts gushing out. Then rev it up till all the water comes out, there will be some left in there, my car was smoking so water the next morning, and after that all gone.

I did it on most of my cars, because we can't pass inspection (or get a lot of hassling) with aftermarket cats. Works well for me anyway.

It's funny because I just bought some tune up stuff too, not all of it, but a good amount. I went ahead and bought a cone w/maf adapter, seafoam, and new plugs. I need to get paid again so I can do caps, wires, and oil change.

What about the tranny? I couldn't find what kind of ATF that it needs, and BTW seafoam makes this new tranny stuff too. Saw it at my auto parts store.
Old 10-28-07, 11:41 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&N filters are good but yes the oil can get on the MAF and cause it to Malfucntion, this happened to my mom's explorer and friends tundra. I had a K&N filter on my last car, but I'm NOT putting one on the SC400 because of this issue. I heard the MAF on our cars is like $1000. The OEM Toyota filter is really good.

It says in your sig that you are going Turbo soon. If you are doing this really SOON, there is no real to point to making a BFI or cold air intake. Turbo Motors don't benefit from Cold Air intakes, cause the air gets really hot again when it passes through the turbo compressor. A big intercooler would a make a difference though

Last edited by Luke_in_SD; 10-29-07 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-29-07, 12:53 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Yea ill stick with the OEM filter and call it a day. My tune up stuff is on the way.

For now im just going to re-do my exhaust 2 inch with a new highflow cat and dual magnaflows. No resonators.

I don't know how soon i'll be doing the turbo so I'll do the BFI.

When turbo time does come all I will have to do is cut the exhaust and just attach the downpipe. No big deal.

So new exhaust here i come!

Last edited by Curry; 10-29-07 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Air filter question