Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 SC400 is not idling or reving right :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 09:41 AM
DJ420a
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC400 is not idling or reving right :(

I posted this on another forum, so I can broaden my chances of help.

So the SC is idling at a steady 1600 rpms and when try to race th motor it bogs like its not getting enough fuel or its getting too much. It doesn't smell like its running rich but the fumes smell stale, there is new gas in it.

I set off a check engine and Trac off light while the motor is running, but if I turn the motor off and turn the ign. on, no check engine light comes on. I still proceed to try and pull a code on both diagnostic ports with no luck. I even tried to pull the code while the motor is running and still nothing.

So just for the hell of it, I disconnect the neg battery terminal for a while to reset the ECU, put it back on, start the car and for roughly a minute, it idles great and revs fine. Then after that minute, the car dies and a vac/pressure solenoid on the top drivers side of the motor starts to click erratically. When I start the motor again, I'm back to where I started.

Weird thing is, if I disconnect the large hose coming from the motor side of the IACV and manually cap it with my thumb, I can regulate the idle and it revs fine, so I tried to clean out and lube of the bearings inside the IACV with no luck, same symptoms. I also tried to calibrate the IACV all the way out and all the way in, then in the middle still with no luck.

Last but not least, last week I changed the plugs and Seafoamed the motor and the motor ran like a dream.

I'm thinking its either..

Fuel control ECU
O2
IACV
"that solenoid"

I was told to do a full tune up. I did and still no change.

Where is the IACV plunger supposed to be set at?

DOES ANYBODY HAVE A CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!

Thanks guys
DJ
Old 10-29-07, 06:24 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably have to just replace the iacv and "that solenoid"
Old 10-29-07, 06:57 PM
DJ420a
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I was waiting till today to confirm it and I did. It was either the ECU wasnt fully bolted down and grounded or the main ECU plug was out about a 1/4 inch. I ran 2 extra grounds to the ECU and had to zip tie the plug to the ECU because the bolt isnt working. Now its running perfect, lol, go figure.

ihiryu - Thats cool you have and S13. I have a 92 aswell, but mine is a hatch and I put an RB series motor in it.