Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another O2 question - concern

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-02, 10:16 AM
BriMcc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another O2 question - concern

I have had problems with trac and engine lights staying on. I replaced what I thought were the main O2 sensors to find out that I had replaced the sub sensors (the ones below the console). I used the main ones for the subs. They fit in and the wiring was for univisal fit. Are the mains and the subs the same or do I have to take the subs out and put in the mains and reorder the proper subs!! Confusing ah!
Old 01-15-02, 12:50 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Another O2 question - concern

When I replaced my main O2, I was quote two differnt price for the main and the sub. The sub. O2 cost more (much more). You need to put in the correct one. Put the sub. sensor back and change out the main O2. Remember to put some anti seize on the tread.

Originally posted by BriMcc
I have had problems with trac and engine lights staying on. I replaced what I thought were the main O2 sensors to find out that I had replaced the sub sensors (the ones below the console). I used the main ones for the subs. They fit in and the wiring was for univisal fit. Are the mains and the subs the same or do I have to take the subs out and put in the mains and reorder the proper subs!! Confusing ah!
Old 01-15-02, 12:57 PM
BriMcc
Driver

What will happen if I have 4 mains in? I used the universal sensor and had to change the wiring around. I bought the mains in Canada for $115 each, Lexus want $265 ea Canadian.
Old 01-15-02, 01:12 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Do you still have the old sub O2 sensors? Put it back, from what I read so far, the sub rarely break...

I don't really understand the difference between the main and sub. All I know was that they had difference part number and different price; therefore, it must be different

What will happen if I have 4 mains in? I used the universal sensor and had to change the wiring around. I bought the mains in Canada for $115 each, Lexus want $265 ea Canadian.
Old 01-15-02, 03:00 PM
BriMcc
Driver

Angry

Dpn't have the old subs. Looks like more $'s, or I'll put up with the lights and no trac control.
Old 01-16-02, 07:53 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

What is the code now? Check the code again and let us know. You need to have traction control in the snow. Because your car has it, fix it.

Dpn't have the old subs. Looks like more $'s, or I'll put up with the lights and no trac control.
Old 01-16-02, 08:31 AM
BriMcc
Driver

Had codes and sensors checked, 25 and 29 main O2. Unfortunatly the new mains I bought were put in where the subs go. I didn't keep the subs (they probably were OK). I now have 4 mains in the car. Anyone know where I can get new subs other then the dealer? Price.
Old 01-16-02, 09:25 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Try the local auto parts store. After I replaced my Main O2 sensors. A forum member mention he replaced his SC300 with after market O2 sensor (Borsch I think) at about $45 each.

I thought that your O2 sensors are after market since you mention about universal wire/fit...

Had codes and sensors checked, 25 and 29 main O2. Unfortunatly the new mains I bought were put in where the subs go. I didn't keep the subs (they probably were OK). I now have 4 mains in the car. Anyone know where I can get new subs other then the dealer? Price.
Old 01-16-02, 11:05 AM
BriMcc
Driver

the mains were aftermarket. The subs are not available aftermarket in Canada from any of the places I called.
Old 01-16-02, 11:25 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

You throw away the sub sensors? Too bad, you may have to buy the sub. sensors from the dealer.
try 800-908-6968 ask for Steve Ganz or Godon Migel
I think it is more than $300 each
Or try www.junkyarddog.com for a used one, or www.autozone.com

Good Luck,

the mains were aftermarket. The subs are not available aftermarket in Canada from any of the places I called.
Old 01-16-02, 11:35 AM
BriMcc
Driver

For $600 US$ or over $1000 Canadian I'll live without Trac Control. If I leave the mains in sub position and replace the mains with mains will it work OK?
Old 01-16-02, 12:58 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

You haven't replace the main O2 yet? change it.

Viet

For $600 US$ or over $1000 Canadian I'll live without Trac Control. If I leave the mains in sub position and replace the mains with mains will it work OK?
Old 01-26-02, 05:43 AM
sc 4 me
Driver School Candidate

Default where is it

i've been having that same prob and i don't have a repair manual so can you tell me where the hell is it at so i can replace it myself in stead of paying the dealer $75 beans just to show me 95 SC 300.......BEGINNER
Old 01-26-02, 07:53 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Default Re: where is it

I don't have the SC300 manual to help you out. Don't go changing O2 when you don't know for sure it is the O2 or not.
First of all does your engine check light on?
I would think the the trouble codes are the same for all Toyota. So you need to use a small paper slip bend it out do you can stick it in the DLC2 under the dash. Its a small round thing with cap under your left knee. Open the cap, stick the paper clip in E1 and TE2, turn the ignition on (do not start the engine, that's another test) count the number of flashs on the engine check light. Ex. code 25 is two flashs stop then 5 flashs, if there are more than one code, it will continues until it is back to the original code. Note it down, ask people here, someone will help.
Don't worry, if it is the O2 sensors, very simple to change. Got to make sure which one first. DOn't make a mistake like "BriMcc" that mistake cost him dearly...

I think there is after market O2 for SC300 and cost about $45 each. Dealer O2 main O2 is about $114, and the sub is about more than $350

Good Luck,

Originally posted by sc 4 me
i've been having that same prob and i don't have a repair manual so can you tell me where the hell is it at so i can replace it myself in stead of paying the dealer $75 beans just to show me 95 SC 300.......BEGINNER
Old 01-30-02, 06:47 PM
BriMcc
Driver

Still don't know if main will work where subs should go? I'll try it this summer.

Quick Reply: Another O2 question - concern