Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LS1 into a SC300/400

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 02:56 PM
1badsoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well 1st of all, to stop confusion, don't say "LSX" just say LS series. LSX is an actual engine (454 SBC) with 460hp. 2nd thing, those ebay turbo kits for small block chevy's only include manifolds (which wont fit in most hoods/firewalls), super-glued turbos and wastegates. You still need several parts to turbo your LS. 3rd, the lowest compression LS youre gonna find is 10:1 which will spell disaster sooner than later. 4th, there are tons of little things and parts youre leaving out in your price list.

In short, I know of 4 people who personally swapped LS1/LS2 engines into various import cars. It's not as cheap and easy as find a motor, install motor, install turbo. I'm not going to say you wont be able to fit a turbo under the hood, but it won't be close to easy. (unless you do the STS remote turbo)
Old 10-22-07, 03:36 PM
SC300Dori
Driver

Yeah saying LSX is a habit for me....I would supercharged it going remote turbo sounds like a hassle
Old 10-22-07, 05:26 PM
tommygun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1badsoarer
Well 1st of all, to stop confusion, don't say "LSX" just say LS series. LSX is an actual engine (454 SBC) with 460hp. 2nd thing, those ebay turbo kits for small block chevy's only include manifolds (which wont fit in most hoods/firewalls), super-glued turbos and wastegates. You still need several parts to turbo your LS. 3rd, the lowest compression LS youre gonna find is 10:1 which will spell disaster sooner than later. 4th, there are tons of little things and parts youre leaving out in your price list.

In short, I know of 4 people who personally swapped LS1/LS2 engines into various import cars. It's not as cheap and easy as find a motor, install motor, install turbo. I'm not going to say you wont be able to fit a turbo under the hood, but it won't be close to easy. (unless you do the STS remote turbo)
the ebay turbo thing was a joke, the only thing I would consider is a IC from there (they are decent) and would be making the rest myself as well as using a MP70mm (cheap) for the turbo. I have thought about the hood issue but its more dependent on how far the motor sits back from the radiator. Guess you missed the LSX shoot out in Memphis lol its a simple term that is recognized for the LS based motors. And I have boosted many of 10:1 compression cars in the past, im really not to worried.
Old 10-22-07, 05:32 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tommygun
the ebay turbo thing was a joke, the only thing I would consider is a IC from there (they are decent) and would be making the rest myself as well as using a MP70mm (cheap) for the turbo. I have thought about the hood issue but its more dependent on how far the motor sits back from the radiator. Guess you missed the LSX shoot out in Memphis lol its a simple term that is recognized for the LS based motors. And I have boosted many of 10:1 compression cars in the past, im really not to worried.
weeeeerd
Old 10-23-07, 08:25 AM
1badsoarer
Driver

Originally Posted by tommygun
im really not to worried.
I'd rather be not worried at all lol

I was very skeptical around those remote turbos when they first came out. I thought that it wasn't an efficient way to go about boosting. Then I saw a friends STS turbo'd camaro. I was very suprised at how well it worked in an every day situation. Going over speed bumps, potholes and driveways. Not to mention the amount of power he made on the small amount of boost.
Old 10-24-07, 06:51 AM
MattSEG
Driver

Even if the sts type kits work it still seems half assed, and it flies in the face of conventional wisdom with the huge distance to the turbos from the motor, and the precarious positioning.
Old 10-24-07, 11:29 AM
tommygun
Driver School Candidate

going to try to set the turbo up like this, this is a 76mm which I have on my 97 cobra. Its simple compared to some set ups ive seen.

this would be fun to hide the turbo in the front fender but a pain for plumbing.
Old 07-29-08, 08:24 PM
antman182
Driver School Candidate

ls1tech.com

they have a forum strictly for conversion projects. a lot of cool and interesting stuff is done there. one of the most interesting projects was a guy who took an mid 90's civic hatch back and converted into a RWD V8 from a wrecked C5 vette

the LSx engines are great. theyre small, cheap, powerful, lots of aftermarket support, etc, etc, etc... you would be very pleased with the upgrade.
Old 07-29-08, 09:40 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MattSEG
The lsx is one of the best motors ever made, the 5.3 is a steal for the price, and potential, and I too love the looks of the sc. I say do it.

A friend of mine has an ss with spray, cams, heads, and a few other things and it's known for raping a saleen s7
Uh huh.......was he giving it gas?

Last edited by 2jzlex; 07-29-08 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-30-08, 12:07 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

do it, then fab up some kits and sell them so it will be easier for the rest of us!

i don't see anything wrong with building the awesome 1uZ either, but there isn't anything wrong with dropping in a LSX imo
Old 07-30-08, 07:17 AM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

now thats a nice build haha, dropping the LSX would certainly be a fun project, if hes going for "different" and power rather then easy power, then thats what he wants, i say if thats what you been wanting to do, do it, seems fair enough.
Old 07-30-08, 01:31 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do it, should be cool, there is a reason why they are in the rx-7
Old 07-30-08, 02:05 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by product.sc
now thats a nice build haha, dropping the LSX would certainly be a fun project, if hes going for "different" and power rather then easy power, then thats what he wants, i say if thats what you been wanting to do, do it, seems fair enough.
it would be a nice build. i have personally seen S13, S14, FC, and FD with a LS1 swap. got to drive an LS1 s14. its nutty. s13 ls1 is pretty nuts too.

the point is not that is "different" power. its the torque you get. drag racing is about the torque...not turbo lag. a 2jz can make more power then a ls1 but it will be peaky, laggy, and not as reliable in the long run.

flame suit on.
Old 01-24-09, 03:48 PM
ranger2339
Driver

Bumping this old as thread to see what ever happened as Im thinking of doing this?

I have a S13 with a LS1, T56 many mods etc. But I also have a SC400, clean chassis sitting here in my yard. The S13 just a **** box to me, mine is rusty and bare..

Josh
Old 01-24-09, 11:12 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^that must be nice. i'd like to drop a LS1 into my SC400. or even better, my '73 Celica, which would need a roll cage because the chassis would not be able to handle the power.

Quick Reply: LS1 into a SC300/400