Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

R154 soarer,mkIII differences

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-07, 02:47 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R154 soarer,mkIII differences

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the forums and I would like to share some information that I found out in the very new experiences in engine swaps. I believe I made quite a bit of mistakes and I would like to share them with everyone. If anyone notices a mistake that I've over looked please point it out for the benefit of myself and others.

I focus mainly on the R154 transmission. Mainly modding the MKIII to fit into the sc300 Doing some research, one of the things needed to be done for the fitment is the extension of the shift linkage. This I did based on what was said in VIP_Soarer's extension post. Stating that it needed about 2.5~3.0 Inches extension for the shift linkage to properlly fit into the sc300. I followed through and ended up with this.

Credit of the idea goes to VIP_Soarer, but the actual fab is done by local shop T1 Racing in Texas. I asked them to extend shift linkage and housing by about 2.5 inches (I basically just guestimated which probably is a big mistake on my part). I won't really know that it will work until I actually put it in my car. Note that I did this with a JDM supra MKIII which has a 1jzgte in it. So it came with the bellhousing needed. Also note that compared to the soarer r154 it has a crooked shift lever. I have no idea if that will come into play with how far to extend nor do I know if all MKIII r154s look like mine. If anyone can shed some light on it that would be great.

Here is a pic of a soarer r154 for comparison.

To me it looks like my extension is just too short. If it is i'll have to get it redone but I want to make sure so I'll find out when I try to do the swap. Thanks in advance for the input I'm pretty damn inexperienced.. gotta start somewhere. Haha why not start with a big fudgin project?
Attached Thumbnails R154 soarer,mkIII differences-lexus009.jpg  
Old 09-29-07, 03:15 PM
4000GT
Driver School Candidate

If the SC chassis is the same as the MKIV Supra, you need another few inches on your extension. Why didnt you bolt it up and measure first?
Old 09-29-07, 03:27 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha that is my trans in the pic. Yeah it looks a little to short.
Old 09-29-07, 03:35 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

i use my sc as a daily driver. I don't have another car. So I couldnt do the measuring. I went through what I've researched and trusted that info. Which is why I also posted this thread. I'm still learning so mistakes are gonna be made
Old 09-29-07, 03:38 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

also what about the different shifter. Its bent compared to the sc. Looks like I might need a straight shifter if I fix the extension. Besides the shop knew it was custom so I believe I could go back for more help. Maybe at a lowered price to fix? haha I don't know bout that part, but I will definately do what I need to do to get this swap done.
Old 09-29-07, 03:49 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Here is a photo of the older Soarer R154 (91-93) that is MUCH more closely related to the MKIII Supra R154. It still utilizes the angled profile of the stock MKIII shifter, but it uses a more swan-necked design instead. The photo might give you a better idea of the amount of extension that is required.

Old 09-29-07, 03:52 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

here is another angle for your info. I had 2 soarer r154 that I bought from j-hot back it the day one was for 200.00 and the other was 1,300 now I am just down to 1 that is in my car. I sold the other.

Old 09-29-07, 04:39 PM
fonzo
Pole Position

Dont know if this will help but try this link
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183050
Old 09-29-07, 04:48 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Yes I can see the swan neck design. Maybe I can do that. But wouldnt that change the throw distance? thanks for the input guys really appreciate it. And yes the post by vip soarer was what I was talkin about
Old 09-29-07, 04:49 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Umm, I'm leaning towards re extending the shift linkage.. more work but I think I'll be able to use short shifters and such. I believe if I just extend the shifter itself then it would always have to use that shifter
Old 09-29-07, 05:40 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

The swan neck does not change the throw distance. I spent a minute to make a diagram in MS Paint:

In fact, you can get the shifter from Toyota as it is a Genuine Toyota Part. It, along with two other parts, allows for the conversion of the trans without any custom work by utilizing the swan neck shifter than was a closer descendent to the Supra R154.

For that matter, C's make a swan-necked short shifter for the 91-93 Soarer R154 that will work with the MKIII R154 so long as you acquire the two parts to make the shifter work.

I am in the midst of doing the identical conversion. On the 1st, the parts rep at Carson Toyota who knows Japanese will get back from vacation to give me my final quote. The total bill should be under $300 for factory parts to do the transmission conversion (I am getting a stock shifter).

The information I am getting is coming from Neil Griffiths, an Australian Soarer guru who knows more about our cars than anyone who speaks english. He has done the JZA70 --> JZZ30 trans conversion for 2.5L guys in Australia.
Old 09-29-07, 05:55 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blizzy
The swan neck does not change the throw distance. I spent a minute to make a diagram in MS Paint:

In fact, you can get the shifter from Toyota as it is a Genuine Toyota Part. It, along with two other parts, allows for the conversion of the trans without any custom work by utilizing the swan neck shifter than was a closer descendent to the Supra R154.

For that matter, C's make a swan-necked short shifter for the 91-93 Soarer R154 that will work with the MKIII R154 so long as you acquire the two parts to make the shifter work.

I am in the midst of doing the identical conversion. On the 1st, the parts rep at Carson Toyota who knows Japanese will get back from vacation to give me my final quote. The total bill should be under $300 for factory parts to do the transmission conversion (I am getting a stock shifter).

The information I am getting is coming from Neil Griffiths, an Australian Soarer guru who knows more about our cars than anyone who speaks english. He has done the JZA70 --> JZZ30 trans conversion for 2.5L guys in Australia.
cant wait!!! blizzy you are my hero haha.
Old 09-29-07, 07:54 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Holy crap. thanks for the grade a info I'll see what I can do for now. Thanks everyone for your advice and help
Old 09-29-07, 07:59 PM
4000GT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blizzy

Ummm the shifter pivots off a single point, the throw is altered, think about the swan, when you shift in the upwards position, the shifter will lift higher than the straight neck, and lower in the downwards position than the straight neck... thats an aweful feel when shifting.
Old 09-29-07, 09:14 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4000GT
Ummm the shifter pivots off a single point, the throw is altered, think about the swan, when you shift in the upwards position, the shifter will lift higher than the straight neck, and lower in the downwards position than the straight neck... thats an aweful feel when shifting.
You are correct. My diagram showed a poor understanding of shifting geometry.

Nevertheless, I will be ordering the swan shifter for my R154. For now, I would rather put the $300 extra it would cost for a short shifter into an intercooler or JZ bellhousing.

Quick Reply: R154 soarer,mkIII differences