Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Performance & Maintenance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

I am having throttle position sensor and throttle motor problems

Old 09-25-07, 12:50 AM   #1
Luxor
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (12)

Default I am having throttle position sensor and throttle motor problems

Well I am getting codes p1128(throttle lock motor malfunction) P1120 and P1121 which means accelerator position sensor (<---edited)

Before I took off the old throttle body sensor, I noticed a buzzing sound coming from the TPS or the throttle motor. I bought a brand new TPS from the dealer and I am still getting a code p1121. I tried resetting the ecu and adjusting the TPS sensor and it still makes the check engine light go off.

Could the throttle motor be behind all of this?? I am confused about all of this. I really dont want to buy a whole new throttle body...
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by Luxor; 09-25-07 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: swapped wording
Luxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-07, 09:04 PM   #2
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Trader Score: (2)

Send a message via Skype™ to lobuxracer

Are you sure you're getting the +5v from the ECM to power the throttle position sensor? I would start there only because I've had this problem with my Supra. It just pisses off a lot more stuff with the TT because the same +5v goes to the throttle position sensor, sub-throttle position sensor, and manifold pressure sensor and when they all die, the engine runs like crap.

'08 USE20L−FEZRHA Obsidian
'93 JZA80L-ALFVZA Alpine Silver

Most performance mods need a watch and timed course to demonstrate actual improvement. Few deliver the advertised claims. Many are actually worse than stock. The best performance mods are made to the driver.

Emotional arguments - They're not just for chicks anymore.
lobuxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-07, 09:43 PM   #3
Luxor
Lexus Champion

EDIT: I read my repair manual wrong, it appears that the culprit behind all of this is the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor..I am going to replace this sensor next and see if that fixes this problem(which I am 90% will). For some reason I thought the APS sensor was the same as TPS sensor...Mods you can close this post if you wish, I don't want to be giving out misleading information to people who are searching.

Last edited by Luxor; 09-26-07 at 05:48 PM..
Luxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-07, 11:47 PM   #4
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Trader Score: (2)

Send a message via Skype™ to lobuxracer

Check your voltages and wiring before you buy that part. I bought a TPS as a result of a DTC and it was a complete waste of money.

'08 USE20L−FEZRHA Obsidian
'93 JZA80L-ALFVZA Alpine Silver

Most performance mods need a watch and timed course to demonstrate actual improvement. Few deliver the advertised claims. Many are actually worse than stock. The best performance mods are made to the driver.

Emotional arguments - They're not just for chicks anymore.
lobuxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 10:43 AM   #5
Luxor
Lexus Champion

Turned out to be the accelerator position sensor. All fixed!
Old 08-23-10, 08:30 PM   #6
AZIAN68
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

where did you get your pedal position sensor and how much was it. im having the cel and vsc light on in my gs300 codes are p1121 p1120 p1126 most the time the code is just p1121 ive been reseting it and it comes back every other time i drive 5 mins. i took the pedal sensor off today and soaked it in this electronic cleaner called tuner wash for 30 mins and the problem hasnt happened again yet. I still want to order a new sensor though. i called a local dealer and they wanted $370 here in kentucky. is there a cheaper route?
AZIAN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 11:37 AM   #7
julian14
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys i have a 2000 lexus gs300 that is doing the same exact thing it goes into limp mode you accelerate it and it hardly moves
code is p1121 were should i start to replace? any pics on were to find the accelerator pedal sensor thanks in advance
julian14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 02:17 PM   #8
good2go
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian14 View Post
Hi guys i have a 2000 lexus gs300 that is doing the same exact thing it goes into limp mode you accelerate it and it hardly moves
code is p1121 were should i start to replace? any pics on were to find the accelerator pedal sensor thanks in advance
You do realize that this thread is 3 years old, right?
good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 04:24 PM   #9
Luxor
Lexus Champion

Good thing I am still an active member. The accelerator position sensor cost me $192 from the Lexus dealership with my discount. It retailed for $267 at the time of purchase.

Here is a picture of the sensor. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-23-11, 12:33 AM   #10
jonnyful
Driver School Candidate

Default Limp Mode gs300

I know this is very old but. did this work and was it easy to replace. I am wondering if i should take it to dealer or just do it myself. (accelerator position sensor).
Lets shoot some info. My 1999 Lexus gs300 goes into limp mode after i drive it for a couple minutes for example.... The check engine light, VSC and VSC off come on when the (limp mode) starts. then i press on the gas and it doesn't accelerate or rev untill i pust to the floor and even then, it only goes to 2000 r.p.m.s.( not fast) about 5 mph.

So is it the accelerator position sensor, Accellerator Pedal sensor, Throttle position sensor, o2 sensor or cracked intake hose?????
jonnyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 12:58 AM   #11
jonnyful
Driver School Candidate

I know this is very old but. did this work and was it easy to replace. I am wondering if i should take it to dealer or just do it myself. (accelerator position sensor).
Lets shoot some info. My 1999 Lexus gs300 goes into limp mode after i drive it for a couple minutes for example.... The check engine light, VSC and VSC off come on when the (limp mode) starts. then i press on the gas and it doesn't accelerate or rev untill i pust to the floor and even then, it only goes to 2000 r.p.m.s.( not fast) about 5 mph.

So is it the accelerator position sensor, Accellerator Pedal sensor, Throttle position sensor, o2 sensor or cracked intake hose?????
Old 05-23-11, 08:43 PM   #12
Luxor
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyful View Post

If you are throwing a code P1121, it is definitely the Accelerator Position Sensor(NOT TPS). It is the sensor pictured above that has the throttle cable attached to it. I had the same symptoms as you described with my car not accelerating no matter how hard I pushed on the gas.
Old 05-24-11, 04:49 AM   #13
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Thumbs up

Old or not, this is valuable tech info... thanks for following up Luxor.

Choritsu-shi
Choritsu-shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 03:21 PM   #14
jonnyful
Driver School Candidate

here is what the dealership said.
Pulled engine codes (P1120 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) Performed Lexus diagnosis procedure. Found when warm, accelerator sensor goes open. Suggest to replace Lever Assy, Throttle Part Number 22060-46010. $336.76.

I just ordered it and its coming tomorrow. Hope its easy to install. I was looking for a (how too) on line. but couldn't find one. if anyone has instructions can you post it please. otherwise ill give it a shot tomorrow...
Ill update tomorrow. thanks for the help again luxor
Old 05-26-11, 01:49 AM   #15
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Toyota TIS (Technical Information System) Website is the best source for "How to's"... it contains Service Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins), etc... for every Lexus, Toyota, Scion model vehicle available in North America.

$15 dollars allows you to access for 2 or 3 days...
TIS Website
Choritsu-shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 01:49 AM