Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I am having throttle position sensor and throttle motor problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 10:36 AM
jonnyful
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks. i got it fixed. When the throttle lever assy came in yesterday, it looked real easy to put in. attached by for screws and a wire. took about 45 mins to switch it but when the new part was on, i started her up and ooooooooo ya,,,,,, she ran great. all of the error codes went,limp mode was gone and after a test drive , i found no problems. thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out. and thanks luxor for the call.
Old 05-26-11, 10:38 AM
jonnyful
Driver School Candidate

so if anyone has this SAME problem,,,,,,ITS THE LEVER ASSY, THROTTLE. PART NUMBER 22060-46010.
Old 05-30-11, 09:08 PM
flossie13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 2003 es 300 just lost acceleration as i stopped at a light today. i turned the car off and turned it back on when the light went green and the accelerator worked for a few seconds then became non-functional again. heard that it is usually due to the throttle or pedal sensor... can anyone give me some advice please?
Old 05-30-11, 10:40 PM
flossie13
Driver School Candidate

whats the difference between a throttle position sensor and a accelerator position sensor? i am trying to figure out which one i need to buy.
Old 05-31-11, 04:35 PM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flossie13
whats the difference between a throttle position sensor and a accelerator position sensor? i am trying to figure out which one i need to buy.
The accelerator pedal pulls a cable which rotates APS. The APS measures the throttle input or the amount of pedal the driver is "stepping on".

Particularly in TRAC control systems, the ECU will overtake the drivers input and reduce power or basically reduce the throttle opening. Therefore the TPS will measure the actual throttle plate opening.

This information allows the ECU to better control the throttle when it does… like for cold start-up, cruise control, TRAC, limp mode, etc… They are both mounted on opposite sides of the throttle body plate and share similar functions. Either one or both of them could be the problem… it’s hard to say without seeing the car in person. The sensors themselves may not be necessarily bad, often the throttle bodies acquire a heavy carbon build up which causes the throttle plate to stick or close in a different position than originally set. Therefore one or the other may just need to be re-set or the TB needs to be cleaned out.

Choritsu-shi
Old 06-06-11, 12:45 PM
jonnyful
Driver School Candidate

look at me posts. i had tha same problem. but i foung the part to fix. its easy
Old 06-06-11, 05:16 PM
robunicu
Driver School Candidate

im having the same problem in my GS300.. has absolutely no throttle response.. but also is almost imposible to start. it litteraly takes 30 tries to start it.. and most of the time will start with the pedal all the way down. but my problem is a tad bit different then yalls because my plug that connects to the Accelerator position sensor was busted so i have 4 single wires.. so i might have them mixed up. i looked up in all data and the wire colors are different then the ones i have.. can one of you guys take a picture of you accelerator positioning sensor where i can see the wire color and the order they are in.. thank you in advance..

if that still wount work i will be replacing the accelerator position sensor and hopefully it will work.. lets get our cars fixed lol...
Old 06-08-11, 09:14 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyful
thanks. i got it fixed. When the throttle lever assy came in yesterday, it looked real easy to put in. attached by for screws and a wire. took about 45 mins to switch it but when the new part was on, i started her up and ooooooooo ya,,,,,, she ran great. all of the error codes went,limp mode was gone and after a test drive , i found no problems. thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out. and thanks luxor for the call.
Awesome! I am glad it worked out for you, told you it was easy. Good thing you didn't have the dealer install that for you, they would have charged $$$$.
Old 06-09-11, 12:16 PM
igorick
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem as described on my '99 Lexus GS400. I'd step on the gas and nothing happened. At the time I believe I had CEL code P1121. The shop replaced my throttle lever assembly. Part was almost identical in price to that quoted above (I paid $337.78). This seemed to work and I had no problems for 5 months. But just yesterday the exact same problem started up again. This time my CEL code is slightly different, it is now showing P0121 (Throttle Position Sensor). So I'm guessing I'll have to now get the TPS? Advanced Auto Parts carries it for $78 (good) or $150 (premium).

Weird that the exact same condition can generate two different CEL codes. Also, both times my VSC Off warning light has also randomly come on.
Old 06-10-11, 02:47 AM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Originally Posted by igorick
I had the same problem as described on my '99 Lexus GS400. I'd step on the gas and nothing happened. At the time I believe I had CEL code P1121. The shop replaced my throttle lever assembly. Part was almost identical in price to that quoted above (I paid $337.78). This seemed to work and I had no problems for 5 months. But just yesterday the exact same problem started up again. This time my CEL code is slightly different, it is now showing P0121 (Throttle Position Sensor). So I'm guessing I'll have to now get the TPS? Advanced Auto Parts carries it for $78 (good) or $150 (premium).

Weird that the exact same condition can generate two different CEL codes. Also, both times my VSC Off warning light has also randomly come on.
They are both mounted on opposite sides of the throttle body plate and share similar functions. The sensors themselves may not be necessarily bad, often the throttle body acquires a heavy carbon build up which causes the throttle plate to stick or close in a different position than originally set.

Sometimes we assume replacing with a new sensor fixes the problem yet in reality it's the re-setting of the sensor that actually fixes the problem. Before buying a new TPS, I would try re-setting the old TPS first.... and/or clean the throttle body.

Choritsu-shi
Old 01-13-14, 02:54 PM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I know this is old but its a helpful thread. My car is having somewhat similar problems but pulling no codes. When I slow down to turn a corner and then pressing the gas to accelerate I get nothing for a few seconds and then its like it just kicks in. Few seconds of hesitation. I also get the lack of power but definitely not as bad as some people are saying (pushing the pedal to the floor and going nowhere) However still lacks power. All these problems are intermittent, sometimes the car runs great. I am leaning towards this being the Acceleration Position Sensor, anyone have any input here? Thanks. By the way I have an 02 Gs300 with 178,000 miles
Old 07-28-14, 04:45 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Sooooo.....who knows the TPS proper voltage....is it .72?
Old 09-19-15, 07:33 PM
Bauerleinm
Driver School Candidate

AZIAN68, do you still have the car and is the Accelerator position sensor still working. If not, how long did it work after you soaked it?
Old 03-12-16, 12:57 PM
GS3KID
Driver

So I need help too just yesterday my CEL came on and car went limp the thing is VSC ABS and VSC off have been on for 3 years and I have chose to not do anything with them because even thought he lights were on it was still active still alarmed if it lost traction and I can feel it kick on in winter.

Anyways my car went limp cel was on and it pulled the code P1121 twice and a large amount of brake booster codes which I expected, and so I've gathered from it's referring to the APS? On rock auto I can only find a TPS replacement and now Sewell online is dead I'm at a loss?

What can I trouble shoot or is my situation different and it's not the APS?
Old 03-12-16, 06:24 PM
Bauerleinm
Driver School Candidate

Default APS likely

Hey GS3KID,

When my APS went bad, it was sudden. I was driving and all of a sudden the throttle went to the floor. It had gone into "limp mode". I pulled over and restarted the car and it was fine for about 30 seconds and went into limp mode again. It coded out (I think it was p1128). After some research and trying a few home remedies, like soaking the APS in carb cleaner, I ordered an APS off of Amazon for 215.00. Two days later, it arrived and I installed it. Replacing the APS fixed the problem.

AMAZON :
Lexus Toyota New Factory Throttle Body Lever Sensor 22060-46010
Sold by: TOYOLEX PARTS CONNECTION
$212.00

Good luck!

Quick Reply: I am having throttle position sensor and throttle motor problems