Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Performance & Maintenance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

I am having throttle position sensor and throttle motor problems

Old 05-26-11, 10:36 AM   #16
jonnyful
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

thanks. i got it fixed. When the throttle lever assy came in yesterday, it looked real easy to put in. attached by for screws and a wire. took about 45 mins to switch it but when the new part was on, i started her up and ooooooooo ya,,,,,, she ran great. all of the error codes went,limp mode was gone and after a test drive , i found no problems. thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out. and thanks luxor for the call.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
jonnyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 10:38 AM   #17
jonnyful
Driver School Candidate

so if anyone has this SAME problem,,,,,,ITS THE LEVER ASSY, THROTTLE. PART NUMBER 22060-46010.
Old 05-30-11, 09:08 PM   #18
flossie13
Driver School Candidate

my 2003 es 300 just lost acceleration as i stopped at a light today. i turned the car off and turned it back on when the light went green and the accelerator worked for a few seconds then became non-functional again. heard that it is usually due to the throttle or pedal sensor... can anyone give me some advice please?
flossie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 10:40 PM   #19
flossie13
Driver School Candidate

whats the difference between a throttle position sensor and a accelerator position sensor? i am trying to figure out which one i need to buy.
flossie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 04:35 PM   #20
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossie13 View Post
whats the difference between a throttle position sensor and a accelerator position sensor? i am trying to figure out which one i need to buy.
The accelerator pedal pulls a cable which rotates APS. The APS measures the throttle input or the amount of pedal the driver is "stepping on".

Particularly in TRAC control systems, the ECU will overtake the drivers input and reduce power or basically reduce the throttle opening. Therefore the TPS will measure the actual throttle plate opening.

This information allows the ECU to better control the throttle when it does… like for cold start-up, cruise control, TRAC, limp mode, etc… They are both mounted on opposite sides of the throttle body plate and share similar functions. Either one or both of them could be the problem… it’s hard to say without seeing the car in person. The sensors themselves may not be necessarily bad, often the throttle bodies acquire a heavy carbon build up which causes the throttle plate to stick or close in a different position than originally set. Therefore one or the other may just need to be re-set or the TB needs to be cleaned out.

Choritsu-shi
Choritsu-shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 12:45 PM   #21
jonnyful
Driver School Candidate

look at me posts. i had tha same problem. but i foung the part to fix. its easy
Old 06-06-11, 05:16 PM   #22
robunicu
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (1)

im having the same problem in my GS300.. has absolutely no throttle response.. but also is almost imposible to start. it litteraly takes 30 tries to start it.. and most of the time will start with the pedal all the way down. but my problem is a tad bit different then yalls because my plug that connects to the Accelerator position sensor was busted so i have 4 single wires.. so i might have them mixed up. i looked up in all data and the wire colors are different then the ones i have.. can one of you guys take a picture of you accelerator positioning sensor where i can see the wire color and the order they are in.. thank you in advance..

if that still wount work i will be replacing the accelerator position sensor and hopefully it will work.. lets get our cars fixed lol...
robunicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 09:14 AM   #23
Luxor
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyful View Post
thanks. i got it fixed. When the throttle lever assy came in yesterday, it looked real easy to put in. attached by for screws and a wire. took about 45 mins to switch it but when the new part was on, i started her up and ooooooooo ya,,,,,, she ran great. all of the error codes went,limp mode was gone and after a test drive , i found no problems. thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out. and thanks luxor for the call.
Awesome! I am glad it worked out for you, told you it was easy. Good thing you didn't have the dealer install that for you, they would have charged $$$$.
Old 06-09-11, 12:16 PM   #24
igorick
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem as described on my '99 Lexus GS400. I'd step on the gas and nothing happened. At the time I believe I had CEL code P1121. The shop replaced my throttle lever assembly. Part was almost identical in price to that quoted above (I paid $337.78). This seemed to work and I had no problems for 5 months. But just yesterday the exact same problem started up again. This time my CEL code is slightly different, it is now showing P0121 (Throttle Position Sensor). So I'm guessing I'll have to now get the TPS? Advanced Auto Parts carries it for $78 (good) or $150 (premium).

Weird that the exact same condition can generate two different CEL codes. Also, both times my VSC Off warning light has also randomly come on.
igorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 02:47 AM   #25
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorick View Post
I had the same problem as described on my '99 Lexus GS400. I'd step on the gas and nothing happened. At the time I believe I had CEL code P1121. The shop replaced my throttle lever assembly. Part was almost identical in price to that quoted above (I paid $337.78). This seemed to work and I had no problems for 5 months. But just yesterday the exact same problem started up again. This time my CEL code is slightly different, it is now showing P0121 (Throttle Position Sensor). So I'm guessing I'll have to now get the TPS? Advanced Auto Parts carries it for $78 (good) or $150 (premium).

Weird that the exact same condition can generate two different CEL codes. Also, both times my VSC Off warning light has also randomly come on.
They are both mounted on opposite sides of the throttle body plate and share similar functions. The sensors themselves may not be necessarily bad, often the throttle body acquires a heavy carbon build up which causes the throttle plate to stick or close in a different position than originally set.

Sometimes we assume replacing with a new sensor fixes the problem yet in reality it's the re-setting of the sensor that actually fixes the problem. Before buying a new TPS, I would try re-setting the old TPS first.... and/or clean the throttle body.

Choritsu-shi
Choritsu-shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 02:54 PM   #26
GsLex02
Rookie

I know this is old but its a helpful thread. My car is having somewhat similar problems but pulling no codes. When I slow down to turn a corner and then pressing the gas to accelerate I get nothing for a few seconds and then its like it just kicks in. Few seconds of hesitation. I also get the lack of power but definitely not as bad as some people are saying (pushing the pedal to the floor and going nowhere) However still lacks power. All these problems are intermittent, sometimes the car runs great. I am leaning towards this being the Acceleration Position Sensor, anyone have any input here? Thanks. By the way I have an 02 Gs300 with 178,000 miles
GsLex02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 04:45 PM   #27
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Sooooo.....who knows the TPS proper voltage....is it .72?

*Mint Chocolate*
MrHimbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 04:45 PM

Tags
300, code, fix, gs, gs300, iam, lexus, located, location, p1120, p1121, position, sensor, throttle, trottle, trouble