Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cats on the outs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 06:03 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cats on the outs?

Hey guys how do you know when your cats are on the outs? Does your car start to feel sluggish? Do they tend to pop a lot more then usual? Do they even sound like they are leaking when the rpms lower after revving the engine? I have noticed these few things today and a while before just never really paid any attention. I will get a sound video up soon. Going tomorrow to have them looked at.

Thanks in advance!

SCpwner
Old 09-19-07, 06:05 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will smell eggs out the tail pipe.
Old 09-19-07, 06:06 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

Or use a heat gun, check the temp before and after the cat, should be hotter after the cat
Old 09-19-07, 06:07 PM
LSEGHATCH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rexn30
You will smell eggs out the tail pipe.
Werd, and you might hear some rattleing due to the guts of the cat breaking apart.
Old 09-20-07, 12:18 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

lol... they are on the outs... i have about 2 months left before my car wont go are there any other alternatives to new cats other then high flowing magnaflows?
Old 09-20-07, 12:35 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LSEGHATCH
Werd, and you might hear some rattleing due to the guts of the cat breaking apart.
Yeah, my Integra's cat is bad and it rattles like CRAZY. When I get done driving it, I can shut my door and it'll rattle.
Old 09-20-07, 06:20 PM
LSEGHATCH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCpwner
lol... they are on the outs... i have about 2 months left before my car wont go are there any other alternatives to new cats other then high flowing magnaflows?
Yeah any high flow cat that is the same size as your piping can easily be installed at the dealer or a shop that does exhausts. If you don't want cat's, just delete them which can also be done at an exhaust shop if they are cool with ilegally modifying exhausts.

Best bet, buy a cheap high flow or oem. Don't go catless unless you are making more power than stock and it would benefit your setup.
Old 09-20-07, 08:49 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maganflow #59955 is a super high-flow metallic substrate catalytic converter for 2.25" applications. That are ~$115, but they will definitely out flow damn near any cat on the market.

That being said, even a generic high flow cat will not choke the stock motor, and the generic high flow cat will cost half that. I would simply try to go with a company that has a proven track record so that the cats would present you with some semblance of long-term reliability.
Old 09-21-07, 07:43 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blizzy
Maganflow #59955 is a super high-flow metallic substrate catalytic converter for 2.25" applications. That are ~$115, but they will definitely out flow damn near any cat on the market.

That being said, even a generic high flow cat will not choke the stock motor, and the generic high flow cat will cost half that. I would simply try to go with a company that has a proven track record so that the cats would present you with some semblance of long-term reliability.
Well since you say that... Could you give me a company that you know of? And as far as long term reliability i think i will sell my car sometime after college and buy a 97+ or buy another 92-94 and build it from the ground up. So just looking for something that wont sacrifice performance and will last me 5 years or so.
Old 09-21-07, 09:31 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCpwner
Well since you say that... Could you give me a company that you know of? And as far as long term reliability i think i will sell my car sometime after college and buy a 97+ or buy another 92-94 and build it from the ground up. So just looking for something that wont sacrifice performance and will last me 5 years or so.
I would recommend Maganaflow's generic high flow cat. I believe the part number is 94105 for 2.25" applications. They run ~$65 each brand new.

Another option is to search the classifieds. Scott may even have his cats still sitting in his garage from when he went with the full header-back exhaust in anticipation of the M90. This would be a direct swap and would get your cats back to a state of health.
Old 09-26-07, 01:22 AM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

I've been on eBay so many times about to buy the 94105 Magnaflow cat. Now I think I'm almost convinced to get it from reading thread after thread. It's between the Magnaflow 94105 and 59955 cats. Is this the best option to up the sound even more (with already deleting the resonators)? I might want to replace all three cats eventually so I was thinking I might want to modify the cats all at the same time. I want to hear that V8 sound like a lion (a Lexus Lion) with the most effective mods. Also been searching for info on the pre-cats; not sure if I would get two 94105 (or 59955) cats for those two, too... I'm assuming so or maybe some people replace with straight pipes but it apparently won't pass emissions. But there's really a lot of uncertainty, even after reading many threads, about passing emissions with various exhaust setups. I think I just need a picture chart with different mods/setups that will pass emissions (in TN, etc.). This exhaust stuff is still very new to me and I'm not sure how many parts of the exhaust I can modify and still pass emissions, if I could still pass with deleting the center cat only and leaving the two pre-cats (or two hi-flow cats), or the emissions/loudness results of replacing all three cats with hi-flow cats. It's possible that the two pre-cats are clogged (and definitely old) and making my car do this weird, brief jerking/sputtering occasionally, very rarely. I still don't know the cause of this...

So which cats for the center cat and the pre-cats: The 94105 and/or the 59955? I'm going for loudness. Are both the same in loudness results? Is the 59955 really worth the extra money, being about twice as much? Should I replace all three stock cats with hi-flow cats or just do the center cat? How much louder will it be with just a center hi-flow cat as opposed to all three stock cats replaced with hi-flow cats? Or could I pass emissions with two hi-flow pre-cats (or stock pre-cats) and just an X- or Y-pipe?

Last edited by SClean4; 09-26-07 at 01:10 PM.