Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Emanage and V8.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 07:45 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Emanage and V8.

I've been doing some research on the issue of using the e manage blue with our V8 and as far as controlling the timing it either has never been done or won't work even if you did try with the e-blue.

How about the A/F? I assume its just a matter of finding the correct wires on the ECU and matching them to the emanage harness?

The only issue left would be the timing and injectors. Would you have a problem with stock timing + low boost? Say the 10psi area?

I'm only exploring possibilities seeing as I already have the blue from my last project.

Aside from those things I just need more info on our MAF to choose the last 2 rotary settings on the unit.

Last edited by Curry; 09-18-07 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-18-07, 08:01 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the Aussies have shown that a plug one temperature rating cooler than stock will be the only realy modification required to run 7psi safely on the stock computer.

Scott (Scotturnot) is running rich at the redline in his SC400 with a roots based charger thowing ~6-7psi: stock fuel and computer.

Over 7psi, a piggyback computer is suggested. One could very likely alter the fuel delivery enough for you to run safely in the neighborhood of 10psi.

I know Neil Griffith's, Australia's Soarer guru, is running 9psi on his M90, and he has an Autronic (I think that is the spelling) standalone. He seems to be completely convinced that standalone is the way to go for any forced induction set up.
Old 09-18-07, 08:20 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blizzy
the Aussies have shown that a plug one temperature rating cooler than stock will be the only realy modification required to run 7psi safely on the stock computer.

Scott (Scotturnot) is running rich at the redline in his SC400 with a roots based charger thowing ~6-7psi: stock fuel and computer.

Over 7psi, a piggyback computer is suggested. One could very likely alter the fuel delivery enough for you to run safely in the neighborhood of 10psi.

I know Neil Griffith's, Australia's Soarer guru, is running 9psi on his M90, and he has an Autronic (I think that is the spelling) standalone. He seems to be completely convinced that standalone is the way to go for any forced induction set up.
Thats interesting and pretty cool. I've got to check their boards out. I do plan to go above 7 psi which is why I wanted to know if its possible to use the emanage for adjusting air/fuel... ( I do have all the harnesses and the USB cable for the PC )

The wire hook-up is easy enough... You need to know the type of MAF you have... after that its just a matter of setting the 3 rotary *****. Well 2 ***** the first one gets set for 8 cylinders/8 coils.

The other 2 are supposedly for the MAF type.

All the jumpers should be set for 12-Volts I think. I can't remember what I had set for my camry when I had it in there.
Old 09-18-07, 08:25 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't speak much for the e manage, as I have not researched it. I can speak for the Autronic...I am convinced it is the way to go for the V8...It is the closest thing you can get to a Motec without having to spend that kind of money...It is a marvelous unit. We also have a guy in the US now developing a plug-n-play harness to connect it to the SC400/1UZFE. The SM4 will work with all of the stock sensors and the stock induction system very effectively. If you want to go piggy-back, I happen to have a custom made Split Second with 8 additional injector controllers that I will sell at a great price...You can run high boost with this unit, but you will need a MAF clamp once you go beyond 12 to 15 PSI.

Good luck.

Ryan
Old 09-18-07, 08:34 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC400TT
I can't speak much for the e manage, as I have not researched it. I can speak for the Autronic...I am convinced it is the way to go for the V8...It is the closest thing you can get to a Motec without having to spend that kind of money...It is a marvelous unit. We also have a guy in the US now developing a plug-n-play harness to connect it to the SC400/1UZFE. The SM4 will work with all of the stock sensors and the stock induction system very effectively. If you want to go piggy-back, I happen to have a custom made Split Second with 8 additional injector controllers that I will sell at a great price...You can run high boost with this unit, but you will need a MAF clamp once you go beyond 12 to 15 PSI.

Good luck.

Ryan
thanks for the info

i'm going to look into that. I'd rather not spend anymore money at this point and make what i have work if it can. I doubt ill be going super boost anytime soon especially since the motor is not fully built. So I wont be needing any sort of standalone or full control, Yet...

Last edited by Curry; 09-19-07 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-19-07, 06:21 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Curry
thanks for the info

i'm going to look into that. I'd rather not spend anymore money at this point and make what i have work if it can. I doubt ill be going super boost anytime soon especially since the motor is fully built. So I wont be needing any sort of standalone or full control, Yet...
what did you do to build the motor up? what kind of parts used and where applied?
Old 09-19-07, 08:27 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nextlevelcoupe
what did you do to build the motor up? what kind of parts used and where applied?
Ah crap that was a typo. I meant to say I haven't built it up as yet.

What I have planned as far as building up the motor

ARP head studs / rod bolts
Thicker head gasket
forged pistons/rods

etc etc etc

Last edited by Curry; 09-19-07 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-19-07, 10:09 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

OK here's what I got so far. Last bit of info I need to know is:

Here's the info for the basic stuff. Im going to see if I can get the injectors going to... I've heard it can be done and it was already done...

As far as the rotary settings go... the first one is going to be 3 as for the next 2 setting it can be any of these... My money is on the bold selection.

Toyota Hotwire
20 TY_HW-1 (undocumented)
21 TY_HW-2
22 TY_HW-3
23 TY_HW-4
24 TY_HW-5
25 TY_HW-6

Toyota Pressure (I think this refers to MAP?)
40 TY_PR-1
41 TY_PR-2
42 TY_PR-3

Toyota Flap (Definetly not this)
47 TY_FL-1
48 TY_FL-2
49 TY_FL-3
4A TY_FL-4

(96 sc400)

Whats the MAF voltage. 5 or 12?

I was browsing the e manage group on yahoo groups and i came across settings for a tundra v8. the rotary settings were 8-2-4, i'm thinking it may be the same for the 400.

Last edited by Curry; 09-20-07 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-19-07, 06:43 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Ok found some more info after some research. The reason the 8 cylinder setting on the emanage wont work period or work properly is because the sc400 doesn't have coil on plug.... DUH. I need to stop researching late at night.

a quote from the FAQ

1. If you use setting 2 (1 coil distributor 4 cyl) on a engine with 2 coils, only one ignition will get spark because #2 thinks you have
only one coil.

So the only setting that would really work according to the FAQ's logic would be:

Setting 3 - 2 coil (wasted spark) 4 cyl
SO:

3-2-0
3-2-1
3-2-2
3-2-3
3-2-4
3-2-5

or ill try the 8 combo and see becuase I've heard that did work in 2 cases.

Last edited by Curry; 09-20-07 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-21-07, 03:32 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

SUCCESS!

After hours of toil I finally got the emanage to work!

I still have to experiment with injectors to see if its workable.

The 1996 SC400 apparently does NOT have a karman MAF its a toyota HW MAF...

I used the green/white wire combo and everything was fine. When I tried to use the karman wires the cars RPM needle would move around erratically and the car sounded like it was misfiring or something.

Ill have more details later today with some pics and confirmation on the exact wiring I used.
Old 09-21-07, 05:38 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Curry
SUCCESS!

After hours of toil I finally got the emanage to work!

I still have to experiment with injectors to see if its workable.

Ill have more details later today with some pics and confirmation on the exact wiring I used.
Nice work man. That is awesome persistence.
Old 09-21-07, 09:42 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

It was such a pain in the *** man... lol.

I found the A/F wiring using the Apexi manual. Todd hinted that the knock sensor wires have clear insulation so after I found that I traced back the A/F wire to the MAF under the hood only to find it wasn't the color I originally thought it was.
Old 09-21-07, 09:51 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

What kind of fuel tuning capacities are there with the emanage? How does it compare to other piggyback systems? Have you gotten confirmation that you running the emanage successfully?
Old 09-21-07, 10:13 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

I'm pretty sure it was successful... We bogged the motor down while playing with some *****. lol.

I get around 1.13-1.20 V from the AFM showing up on my laptop @ idle
I still have a few parameters I need to reset from when I last used it in my camry.

Basically the emanage has

A 16x16 airflow adjustment map
Data Logging
and you can adjust the Air Input Signal ±20%

If you get the injector harness running you can also adjust ±20% on a 16x16 map and do some other fancy things.

The emanage blue has a pretty neat set of features overall, both basic and advanced... For the price I think its way worth it. Especially if you have a laptop to tune with.
Old 09-21-07, 11:37 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great work Curry. I thought all SC400's used the Karman MAF...Good to see your success with the emanage.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Emanage and V8.