Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Throwing down the gauntlet against Toyota's ECU

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 01:21 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Throwing down the gauntlet against Toyota's ECU

Some of you know me, some of you dont. I've been here a very long time and have been an avid Toyota/Lexus fan (specifically the JZ-based chassis cars) for many years.

In my other experiences with other manufacturers, I find they all have one HUGE benefit over Toyota when it comes to aftermarket performance. The data for the Nissan, Honda, and Mitsubishi ECUs is readily available to anyone that wants to know. Memory addresses are mapped down to every option and the ECU can be reprogrammed to literally stand on its head.

I'm absolutely sick of not having this option when it comes to Toyotas (OBD1 specifically). You either pay big cash for an unreliable AEM, or a smaller amount on a unit from a small list of piggybacks with inconsistent results. The pricing of Techtom flashing ($800+) is absolutely ridiculous when you consider the cost in parts of building something like it (about $15).

Dramon and I have decided to undertake an abstract project of more aftermarket ECU options for the JZ-chassis. Including Plug and Play options for Megasquirt2, using GTE injection/ignition/ECU system on GE cars, and ultimately to hacking the GTE/GE ECU itself. We are well on our way with the first stage: research and idea-making/planning. We've dug up some striking data on the ECU already that wasnt commonly available.

We intend to turn the underground and hush-hush BS of the Toyota ECU modifying on its head; capitalism be damned. We will eventually offer to flash your car for you but will offer the DIY components for those that wish to do it themselves, but right now this is just a research and development project with a completely open forum. We want the best and the brightest and those willing to learn to come help us with these various projects.

Come post: http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51
We're debating on setting up research teams. Researching by scouring the internet and other offline libraries for various information that we need; and to engineer solutions to problems. Dramon and I are both doing this in our spare time because we enjoy the challenge and enjoy working with this kind of stuff.

Making a PCB that could double as a datalogger (since the sampling rate of the stock ECU is something on the verge of 200fetches/second) would be outstanding. Software can be developed to make an interactive gui when reading the ECU's output, etc... the possibilities are endless and it literally gets me giddy inside thinking about it

Come one come all!

Last edited by Bean; 09-18-07 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-18-07, 02:05 PM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes perfect sense... A few of my boys have subarus and they have piggy back programmers that allows them to reflash and config their ecu's to what ever they want to do. Completely plug and play. The basically turn their OEM ecu to a standalone from factory..... The way to start would be people in Aussie and JDM mother land that have contact with companies like Mines blitz,stealth and so forth. They obviously have cracked in the jz ecu because they know how to reflash them. I'll get on soarercentral to see what they can find.
Thanks Bean, I hope this keeps up.
Old 09-18-07, 02:08 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Go for it man we definately need more options
Old 09-18-07, 02:28 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drewgo
Makes perfect sense... A few of my boys have subarus and they have piggy back programmers that allows them to reflash and config their ecu's to what ever they want to do. Completely plug and play. The basically turn their OEM ecu to a standalone from factory..... The way to start would be people in Aussie and JDM mother land that have contact with companies like Mines blitz,stealth and so forth. They obviously have cracked in the jz ecu because they know how to reflash them. I'll get on soarercentral to see what they can find.
Thanks Bean, I hope this keeps up.
Drewgo, I believe the Blitz and Mines chips are nothing but TechTom/Technosquare/Gforce flashes. And thats a deadend with the scrambler chip that they use.

I've found some errors in cross referencing this processor, the D151802 comes up as an Intel MCS-51 variant when it isnt since the MCS51 is a DIP-40 and the D151802 is a DIP-64. I'm still looking. Most of the info that comes up about it is in Japanese or Chinese.

I have found out, however, that the Subaru and FD RX-7 guys use similar or identical chips.
Old 09-18-07, 02:29 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a Great idea
Old 09-18-07, 02:53 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

wow this is interesting, i will be watching and waiting! i have a donor 5sp ge ecu if u need it for testing and such oh almost forgot about the auto ge ecu i got one of em too
Old 09-18-07, 04:33 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck with the endeavor. I think there are many who will be rooting for you.
Old 09-18-07, 05:06 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 I'd love to see this happen!
Old 09-18-07, 06:53 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

subscribed.
Old 09-18-07, 09:17 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there was a program you could replicate, it should be DSMLINK. I use to run this on my 1g talon. It took me deep into the 10's with reliability daily driven. Heres a link: http://www.dsmlink.com/
Old 09-18-07, 10:12 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

This is AWESOME! The honda guys can solder in a chip, download free software, and use a chip burner to burn thier own custom chip. Costs less than $200, or so for a complete setup.

Ive seen them change the chip with a different one, in just a couple minutes. Heres a website:

http://forum.pgmfi.org/
Old 09-18-07, 10:44 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is good news. thank you for taking these big steps to help the toyota community.
Old 09-19-07, 09:04 AM
atekt
Lexus Test Driver

This is HUGE Bean! Awesome idea my man!
Old 09-19-07, 11:35 AM
mrcs007
Driver School Candidate

I work for a company that makes racing data acquisition and ECUs. Also have access to chip programmers as well. I focus on different software support, but if I can help, let me know. I utilize a 02 2jz-ge vvti vehicle at the moment.
Old 09-19-07, 11:55 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcs007
I work for a company that makes racing data acquisition and ECUs. Also have access to chip programmers as well. I focus on different software support, but if I can help, let me know. I utilize a 02 2jz-ge vvti vehicle at the moment.
That'd be awesome! I feel good about this project.

Quick Reply: Throwing down the gauntlet against Toyota's ECU