Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The Stock 2J in the Sc300

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-07, 10:30 PM
SC300Dori
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetSC
This is the result of too little research. You my friend are clueless

gadgetSC

No I'm not just got my mind made up.....LS1 FTW

Last edited by SC300Dori; 09-15-07 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-15-07, 11:23 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good Luck with your LS1.
Old 09-15-07, 11:39 PM
SC300Dori
Driver

Yeah its the best decision for that car because the stock motor can turbo'd yes but it could be costly no one has gave me a figure toward turboing the motor all ppl were saying its well under a certain number and not giving me a set figure and just criticizing me on my decision and miss understood what i was talking when i have a 17 thousand dollar budget for the whole car not the motor....So hey the ls1 is bang for the buck LS1/t-56 tranny 3500....to me that beats the JZ motors
Old 09-16-07, 07:57 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CL Member, Bean, is on a 2JZ-GE na-t project: $3000 for 500whp. He is thrifty and a capable mechanic, so he is able to minimize costs well; but, that should give you an idea of what the stock motor is capable of with limited investment.

500whp is a drop in the bucket with the right turbo, fuel system, and tuning.
Old 09-16-07, 10:19 AM
SC300Dori
Driver

Originally Posted by Blizzy
CL Member, Bean, is on a 2JZ-GE na-t project: $3000 for 500whp. He is thrifty and a capable mechanic, so he is able to minimize costs well; but, that should give you an idea of what the stock motor is capable of with limited investment.

500whp is a drop in the bucket with the right turbo, fuel system, and tuning.
Thanks for the info I'm a certified technician also....So my Question to you or other ppl...will i have to rebuild the bottom end if it has X amount of miles on it..... i bought one of 3 that has 186,000 I don't think the bottom end is still good on it....but y'all know better than me...Another since I'm drifting what would be good size turbo for it the hp i want around 450-500 hp that should enough to get it moving sideways...
Old 09-16-07, 10:31 AM
1badsoarer
Driver

Question: How much drifting have you done? Skill > car. I would work with something else before you talk about getting so serious with so little practice...
Old 09-16-07, 10:40 AM
SC300Dori
Driver

^^^^^^I've been drifting almost 3 years now...My first was a 240sx or course like everyone else i started when i was 16...going to to local events now ill be getting into Nopi and the Pro Am series in the next year or two....The reason I choose the sc300 because of my idol Takahiro Ueno he is the only reason i like drifting so basically I'm getting a car like his now that I'm able to afford it now...I think i can handle it I drifted my buddies soarer with a 2JZ 590 hp...I had trouble in the beginning but i caught the hang of it i had to learn how move the weight of the car where i wanted it....So i have the skill to drift I'm no noob

Last edited by SC300Dori; 09-16-07 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-16-07, 10:46 AM
SC300Dori
Driver

Quick ? is that Mvpmotorsports.com legit
Old 09-16-07, 11:21 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC300Dori
I was on SupraForums.com and on I-supra.com and they told me....I'm going to go with LS1 instead I already put in order for it earlier today...I wanted a 1J or a 2J but....I want something i can count on....Having a JZ motor would be sweet but I don't want it choking on me b/c of my right foot...
So you're going with an LS1? That would be an interesting swap. I see alot of drift cars out there nowadays running those motors. If you were building something for drift and didnt want to spend alot I would just go NA-T because you would have to spend the extra money to pay someone to swap it out and all that. Or if you have a bigger budget just go GTE! You definetly get much more power out of that than an LS1.
Old 09-16-07, 11:56 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I think the best route for you would be the rev happy 1jz motor. I think Ueno has a vvti 1j motor. I would go with a twin GT28 setup for quick insane spool. Slap on a Kaaz 2 way and you're good to go.
Old 09-16-07, 01:06 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info I'm a certified technician also....So my Question to you or other ppl...will i have to rebuild the bottom end if it has X amount of miles on it.....

Just do a compression test. There is a few guys turbocharging these engines with 200K+ miles on them. The stck motor, with a hg and head studs will hold an insane amount of power.

Check out bean's posts. Btw, you can get a dave h kit for around $1700+ your fuel upgrade. Check out clubna-t also. Lots of very helpful info., there.
Old 09-16-07, 01:09 PM
SC300Dori
Driver

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
So you're going with an LS1? That would be an interesting swap. I see alot of drift cars out there nowadays running those motors. If you were building something for drift and didnt want to spend alot I would just go NA-T because you would have to spend the extra money to pay someone to swap it out and all that. Or if you have a bigger budget just go GTE! You definetly get much more power out of that than an LS1.
Yeah i was going to I have mixed feelings on i guess if thats what u want to call it i already have the LS1 but i can keep it and go JZ I'm just not sure...I can do everything to swap 4 the LS1 myself I'm a Certified Technician so i know what I'm doing...I would like to keep the car all Toyo...Yeah my s14 has a LS1 in it and its beast but im tired of seeing everyone with my car its time for a change...Yeah u can get more top end out of the GTE compared but the LS1 has monster grunt on the low end and thats what I like personally
Old 09-16-07, 01:11 PM
SC300Dori
Driver

Originally Posted by na4now
Just do a compression test. There is a few guys turbocharging these engines with 200K+ miles on them. The stck motor, with a hg and head studs will hold an insane amount of power.

Check out bean's posts. Btw, you can get a dave h kit for around $1700+ your fuel upgrade. Check out clubna-t also. Lots of very helpful info., there.
Whats HG and Is his kit reliable?...I mean i dont want to buy something thats going break when i come out of a turn....I think I'm just going to rebuild it i guess

Last edited by SC300Dori; 09-16-07 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-16-07, 01:15 PM
SC300Dori
Driver

Originally Posted by cherplex
I think the best route for you would be the rev happy 1jz motor. I think Ueno has a vvti 1j motor. I would go with a twin GT28 setup for quick insane spool. Slap on a Kaaz 2 way and you're good to go.
Yeah he has like 8 of them...Yeah he the VVTI 1J motor But he has one HKS GT30 on his...But thanks for the Input Ill make my mind up soon....I know if i get Tuning it is going to be a pain in behind
Old 09-16-07, 01:30 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know if i get Tuning it is going to be a pain in behind
Tuning an na-t 2JZ is significantly easier, more available, and cheaper than swapping an LS1.

A 61-67mm turbo on the 2JZ generally yields excellent spool (ie. full boost at or before 4k rpm) and significant power (ie. over 400whp). Obviously, the 67mm can blow more air at the expense of spool.

As Cherplex said, appropriately sized twin turbos can really torch the road. On a 1JZ, a pair of GT28R's will start spooling practically off idle and they will still blow 450+whp on pump with the appropriate supporting modifications. But, such a set up is difficult to fabricate (though still significantly less so than an LS1 swap).

A 2JZ-GE na-t is definitely the easiest way to go. Running a compression test will give you good feedback as to the overall health of the motor. If you are high and even across all cylinders, I would boost it all day.

As mentioned, HG = Head Gasket. It is often best to swap for a thicker head gasket to effectively lower compression since the stock 10.1 compression is favorable to detonation at boost levels over 10-12psi unless you are running high octane race gas like 100 unleaded or even C16.

As far as the internals of the 2JZ-GE go, they can handle as much as the LS1 internals (at least 600whp). Toyota has a reputation for over-engineering their engines. JoshFSM is running 700+whp off stock internals save his pistons being shot-peened.

Quick Reply: The Stock 2J in the Sc300