Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

O.L.T. could you PLEASE clarify...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-07, 03:25 PM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default O.L.T. could you PLEASE clarify...

Sorry to start a new thread, but I had posted the following in another thread but I think it got overlooked. Since Im taking a long trip this Friday morning, I was hoping to take action on the following topic, but worried I would never get the clarification I needed.

O.L.T. you wrote: "See that metal rod under it? It connects to the unit and moves via the hydraulic action inside the cylinder. Simply remove the arm from the dome and manually move the latch on the bottom of the heater control valve. Turn your heat on in your car and if you do not feel heat after doing this, you are set and ready! Give it a few minutes to cool down since there is still heat in the core, letting the car sit a while is a good idea too just to be sure."

Now I could guess im gonna get a for the following question, but since Im taking a 2 trips from TX to CA through the 100+ degree desert, I need all the help I can get with keeping the cabin as cool as possible even if only a couple of degrees.

O.L.T. that arm identified with the yellow arrow, (hope you can understand the question) am I supposed to pull it straight down from the end pointing up towards the hood of the car, as in directly away from the dome valve, or should it be down and a bit towards the passenger side of the car, or maybe down and a bit towards the back of the car, or down and towards the front of the car, or down and towards the drivers side of the car? Or am I pulling from the wrong end of the arm and instead should be pulling from the end pointing towards the center or drivers side of the car?

Thanks in advance O.L.T. and sorry for the confusing layout of the questions.
Old 09-05-07, 04:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

#1- engine forum question, engine related.

#2-
Attached Thumbnails O.L.T. could you PLEASE clarify...-screenshot.jpeg  
Old 09-05-07, 04:02 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

..........and #3

one way you get heat, one way you don't try it and see. It's been years since I did it. Turn the heater on and move it in, then after a minute if it is still warm, move it out.

The metal arm of the valve is not what you move, the swing arm it connects to is.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-05-07 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-05-07, 06:24 PM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

#1) You are right, my apologies for the overlooking of this.

#2) It did cross my mind to PM you, but I figured others could benefit from the information you provided on this if they too were confused (cause I know of 2 members who were)

#3) I must be the biggest idiot on here... im still at a loss. I guess my confusion is between identifiying what you call the metal arm and the swing arm, and at what location point to physically seperate one from the other.

I know its probably 20x's harder to explain it than to do it, and probably 500x's harder for me to understand (when im sure its something as plain as water)

Thanks O.L.T. for your time and effort in this!!!
Old 09-05-07, 08:16 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

real easy, one arm swings, and one just goes up and down.