Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Technition said I had an Oil leak..

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-07, 12:14 AM
acenase
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technition said I had an Oil leak..

So I got my oil changed today and he said that I have an OIL LEAK... wtf. He then said I would need to 'overhaul the engine' to fix it. Also he mentioned that the Cover below the Oil Filter will fall off sometime while I'm on the highway or something so I should remove it. Anyone had any information about this cover below the Oil Filter that bolts up? What should I do about this Oil leak he mentioned?
Old 08-26-07, 09:27 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by acenase
So I got my oil changed today and he said that I have an OIL LEAK... wtf. He then said I would need to 'overhaul the engine' to fix it. Also he mentioned that the Cover below the Oil Filter will fall off sometime while I'm on the highway or something so I should remove it. Anyone had any information about this cover below the Oil Filter that bolts up? What should I do about this Oil leak he mentioned?
he's talking about the plastic piece under the engine - it is bolted to the chassis by a bunch of 10mm bolts - the problem is it is plastic and every time you've scraped the front of the car since the day it was new, this plastic piece has been coming apart, also, every time the oil has been changed, it has put more wear and tear on this part - the bolt holes in the plastic become worn, torn, etc, and it eventually wants to fall off... not a huge deal - I'd just remove it and leave it off - or you can buy a new one...

as far as oil leak and engine overhaul - where did he say the oil was leaking? an engine overhaul is all internal, and any external leaks would not require an engine overhaul... common things to leak engine oil and the oil pan, drain plug, front and rear main seals, oil pressure switches, and valve cover gaskets... not so common are head gaskets and oil filter housings...

Depending on the leak, it would probably be a good idea to pressure wash all the residual oil off the underside of the motor and put some UV dye in the oil... run it for a day or two and check it for leaks - then report back...