Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Water Pump/Timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-07, 05:36 AM
Sintari
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Water Pump/Timing belt replacement

Alright, so recently my car began leaking coolant from the back of the motor. So I thought I had a blown headgasket and prepare for the worst. So I start looking for the coolant leak but I couldn't find it. So I slap myself in the head because I think I am losing my mind. Well, then I notice a pool of coolant in the bottom of the engine bay on the plastic type guard that blocks road debris.

Upon further inspection, I see that the leak is not from the back of my motor but from my water pump. My water pump has gone bad and the water/coolant is running down the plastic guard to the back of my engine bay making it look like water/coolant is leaking from the back of the engine. So I breathe a sigh of relief and tear into her.

Now I made this thread to give folks a heads up about replacing the water pump. The water pump is directly behind the hydraulic tensioner for your timing belt. So if you're replacing the water pump, replace your timing belt too since it's a cheap belt and you're already there. The only thing you're going to need is a vice to press the tensioner back down, or you can use a sea clamp. Obviously you'll need to remove the alternator, tensioner pulley and fan shroud. I even removed my radiator so I wouldn't damage it or hit it with any tools. Also, you "may" need an impact gun for the bolt that holds on your harmonic balancer. I used one and it came off with ease.

If you have air tools, this is a good 4 hour job. If you have regular tools then it may take you a good day or so. Either way, it's an easy job, just very time consuming.

-Josh

Last edited by Sintari; 08-23-07 at 05:37 AM. Reason: .
Old 08-23-07, 07:47 AM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Is this 300 or 400?
Old 08-23-07, 08:40 AM
Sintari
Rookie

I should have specified, this was done on an SC300 (5spd - 2JZGE).
Old 08-24-07, 09:34 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I did the Waterpump, Harmonic balancer, and the timing belt on my brother's SC. It was such a pain. Lets just say EVERYTHING had to come off. Maybe you can post some pics?
Old 08-26-07, 07:10 PM
Sintari
Rookie

.Unfortunately I did not take any pictures. Now I realize I should have. But you're right, everything on the front of the motor has to come off. The harmonic balancer was the hardest thing to remove.

I suggest that anyone with tools and willpower to give it a try. Shops are expensive and I am sure they would charge hundreds of dollars to complete this task. It's not hard at all, just time consuming.

If anyone has any questions or is planning on replacing their timing belt/water pump, then send me a message and ill walk you through it as best I can.

I'm always up for trying to help folks save money!

Last edited by Sintari; 08-27-07 at 04:32 AM. Reason: .