Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Air Conditionong Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-07, 05:17 PM
toyofreak
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Conditionong Issues

Hey Guys,
Another quick question, and this time I did run various search parameters regarding the Air Conditioning.

Anyway, my AC has been acting up when it gets VERY hot. Summer kinda came late for southern California. When the car sits under the hot sun for a while and I fire her up, the AC doesn't like to work. The AC light in the control module likes to blink. I turn it off, and turn it back on, the condensor kicks on and I get cold air, for about 5 minutes when it starts blinking again and the compressor shuts off.

Thinking that I was low on R134A, took it to my buddy's shop with an AC machine and found out I was low half a pound. Our cars need 2lbs. Thinking this is why the car's compressor isn't kicking on. Topping the freon did not solve the problem.

Now, when the car is moving, especially on the freeway, the car's AC unit works fine, and it's cold cold air. But that usually requires several times of hitting the AC button after the initial start. You know it's blinking when the car gets warm. Look at the climate control unit, and sure enough.

So this leaves me with three conclusions.
1. I have a SLOW freon leak, not enough freon causes the compressor not to kick on until it circulates around the system.
2. I have a weak AC compressor, which doesn't like to work when idling
3. I have a problematic climate control unit.

First time I encountered this. The problem is when I am suited up, I want the car to be cold right away. Not in 5 minutes after I hit the freeway after I'm drenched in a pool of sweat.

Any ideas or feedback?
Old 08-21-07, 05:44 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

" If compressor lock occurs during A/C operation, the A/C switch indicator on the A/C control assembly starts blinking to warn the driver."

- From my factory service manual, sounds like your compressor may be seizing on you.
Old 08-21-07, 07:54 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try replacing the magnetic clutch relay (swap it with a similar relay from your fuse box if possible). This is a common problem on some Toyota's. Worth a check.

Make sure your drive belt isn't slipping.

Could be the magnetic clutch is bad rather than the compressor itself.

KC
Old 08-21-07, 08:55 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

why don't you have your friends shop do some real diagnostic work...

there are lots of things that can be causing your issue - first search this site for the procedure for doing self diagnostics- this will give you a reason why the a/c is turning itself off... might be something simple like a pressure switch...
Old 08-22-07, 01:32 AM
toyofreak
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...elf+diagnostic

Found it! Mitsuguy, you know how the old school mechanics are like. They have both Alldata and Mitchell on Demand, and they insist on doing it the hard way. Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll PM you, since I head over to LV alot. Thanks.
Old 08-31-07, 06:03 PM
toyofreak
Driver

OK, this problem of mine has STILL not been resolved. And it seems like a few members here are having problems with their AC.

We did a diagnostic and pulled a code 14. Engine Coolant Temp sensor. That was replaced and the same problem still exist. Bearing in mind that we have already topped off the Freon back to 2lbs as well.

Alldata is saying replace one sensor. Mitchell is saying replace another. The only problem is Mitchell is saying to replace the one where I have to tear the whole dash out.

Anyone else with this problem and any solutions to other than replacing EVERY temp sensor? I mean when the AC works it blows cold. It's just sometimes it chooses not to work, and intermittent electrical problems are the hardest to diagnose.
Old 09-02-07, 11:52 PM
toyofreak
Driver

Wow, nobody has ever experienced this problem before? To have the AC light blink when the compressor turns off? This is a hard problem to figure out because it's intermittent.

I already replaced the Temp sensor off the radiator, since that was the easier to replace. But Mitchell on Demand is telling me to replace the one off the heater core, and I really have no desire to tear my dash apart to do that. Alldata says that there is one more by the block near the intake.

I have already recharged the AC system. Is this a common problem with the sensors going out and throwing a code 14? Also bear in mind that I have flushed my cooling system a few months ago in preparation for the Summer. I don't want to tear my dash apart to replace the temp sensor by the heater core only to find out it's someone simple and stupid.
Old 09-03-07, 08:38 AM
AKauto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like its gonna be that sensor under the dash, don't waste your time with the coolant sensors because that has nothing to do with A/C opperation, taking that dash appart isn't that bad. If anything breaks on your dash while doing it contact R&J Distributing on here they have all the dash parts youd need
Old 09-13-07, 12:31 AM
questnyc
Rookie

I have the same problem. MY A/c come son for a few minutes then shuts off but the light doesnt blink. Any suggestions?
Old 09-13-07, 05:23 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

my light has been blinking since i bought the car, i also have a problem with the AC not getting cold after the car sits in the sun for a while, i didnt know what it was. i havent tried pushing the AC button on and off though, im gonna try and get it to the shop next week some time after my 1jz swap, because these Florida summers are killer without AC. it does seem to work when the car has stayed cool all day though, but it never gets ICE COLD
Old 09-15-07, 07:10 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alldata is better than mitchell IMO. If you have a leak you need to find it, uv ink the system and find it. Nothing else will do you any good if its going somewhere. Vaccum out the system and start over again, but you need to have somone check for the compressor, reciever drier, all components. Ther so many thing this could be it need to be diagnoesed properly. Hell you could have had a riped desicant back in the reciever and it could have pluged the system who knows. Ive seen all kinds of weird stuff....
Old 09-15-07, 08:22 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

Originally Posted by toyofreak
Hey Guys,
Another quick question, and this time I did run various search parameters regarding the Air Conditioning.

Anyway, my AC has been acting up when it gets VERY hot. Summer kinda came late for southern California. When the car sits under the hot sun for a while and I fire her up, the AC doesn't like to work. The AC light in the control module likes to blink. I turn it off, and turn it back on, the condensor kicks on and I get cold air, for about 5 minutes when it starts blinking again and the compressor shuts off.

Thinking that I was low on R134A, took it to my buddy's shop with an AC machine and found out I was low half a pound. Our cars need 2lbs. Thinking this is why the car's compressor isn't kicking on. Topping the freon did not solve the problem.

Now, when the car is moving, especially on the freeway, the car's AC unit works fine, and it's cold cold air. But that usually requires several times of hitting the AC button after the initial start. You know it's blinking when the car gets warm. Look at the climate control unit, and sure enough.

So this leaves me with three conclusions.
1. I have a SLOW freon leak, not enough freon causes the compressor not to kick on until it circulates around the system.
2. I have a weak AC compressor, which doesn't like to work when idling
3. I have a problematic climate control unit.

First time I encountered this. The problem is when I am suited up, I want the car to be cold right away. Not in 5 minutes after I hit the freeway after I'm drenched in a pool of sweat.

Any ideas or feedback?
Maybe your fan clutch is bad?(Assuming you don't have electric fans) If not enough air is going through the condensor it won't work good unless your moving,
Old 09-15-07, 08:29 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by twizted
Alldata is better than mitchell IMO. If you have a leak you need to find it, uv ink the system and find it. Nothing else will do you any good if its going somewhere. Vaccum out the system and start over again, but you need to have somone check for the compressor, reciever drier, all components. Ther so many thing this could be it need to be diagnoesed properly. Hell you could have had a riped desicant back in the reciever and it could have pluged the system who knows. Ive seen all kinds of weird stuff....
I use both, as well as Identifix... they both have their advantages / disadvantages... I think it's easier to find things in Mitchell, but check both if I have any doubts...
Old 09-17-07, 04:44 AM
kevro
Pole Position

friend of mine had similar problem years ago, i dont recall the exact code, but we took the clutch out and the center nut section had some small washers stacked inside, we removed one and put it back together. worked after that. figured out the problem because we watched the compressor when it was running and we would see it kick on and spin and then look like it slipped a bit and then the light wold come on, like the ac system recognized the slip, my guess is the compressor was getting close to death and was causing the clutch to slip a bit occasionally, removing teh shims allowed it to get better grip when spinning, it lasted one more summer before needing replacement.
Old 06-22-08, 12:21 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Resurrection

I recently started getting the notorious blinking AC light. The blinking light is spawned by very hot temperatures and brisk acceleration. A few cycles of the AC on and off will often get the system to work again. At constant speeds, the AC works fine and gets cold as a normal AC would.

Running a diagnostics check yieled a code 21 as usual, although it was not in direct sunlight.

Researching this issue on CL makes me conclude that the problem is with the AC clutch. It would make total sense considering the issue is aggrevated by acceleration on really hot days.

Did anybody ever resolve this issue with a new clutch? I plan on replacing the whold AC compressor, clutch and drier to try and resolve.

Quick Reply: Air Conditionong Issues