Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

engine woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 07:30 PM
TRDRacer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine woes

N/A 1997 SC300

Ok so here is the story, the car was dirty yesterday, so i washed her inside and out, I then went and used a damp rag and cleaned my engine bay. After the wash I took here out and everything was working great! Today, I start here up and everything seemed fine, I took here on the road and once I steped on the gass something did not feel right, she started studering, I stoped at a red light and sounded like she had a rough idle and kinda missfiring. I looked at the RPM needle and it was fluxing up and down. The Light turned green so I gave here a little gas and when I got passed 3500PRM she sounds like a vacume and barley pulled. I stop at the red light and she died on me! I turned here on again and she had a rough idle and the check engine light turned on and the traction control light was blinking on and off, so I went slowly back to my house and checked the engine bay if any hoses were loose but saw nothing wrong!
Can you guys help me please? Cause I want to see if I can fix here myself and really don't want to pay $200 for a diagnostics check and god knows what else to fix here.

Last edited by TRDRacer; 08-14-07 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-14-07, 07:36 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to here that man and i know how you are feeling. Just yesterday either a hose busted or my radiator cracked because i had coolant all over my engine bay. I had to take her to a Lexus mechanic and im looking at 300+ to get her fixed. To top it off the guy said depending on how long i drove it hot i could have ruined the block and entire engine so I have my fingers crossed and i hope someone on here can help you out with your problem.

GL
Old 08-14-07, 07:51 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

hard to say what without seeing it... any check engine lights on? when you restart it, does it idle ok, rough, miss? the vacuum like sound above 3500 - was that accompanied with a loss in power? going to need a little more info here....

anything you can tell us really helps....

and who the hell charges $200 for diag?
Old 08-14-07, 07:53 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by SCpwner
Sorry to here that man and i know how you are feeling. Just yesterday either a hose busted or my radiator cracked because i had coolant all over my engine bay. I had to take her to a Lexus mechanic and im looking at 300+ to get her fixed. To top it off the guy said depending on how long i drove it hot i could have ruined the block and entire engine so I have my fingers crossed and i hope someone on here can help you out with your problem.

GL
the motors are pretty tough when it comes to overheating... they are (sc400's) at least all aluminum, which definitely fares better than a bi-metal engine... best of luck to ya though!
Old 08-14-07, 08:05 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your MAF connection. Make sure it completely plugged in or has no broken wires. You may want to check the connections of everything you wiped down, even the throttle body.

gadgetSC
Old 08-14-07, 09:31 PM
TRDRacer
Driver

OK I restarted here up and here is whats up, the check engine light in coming on the tracktion light is blinking on and off! the car runs rough at idle and sounds like it is missfiring cause the exhaust pops sometimes maybe every 20 sec, it is fine when you going between 1000 and 3500 RPM then when it hitts 4000 and above the car dose not pull hard just makes a vacume type sucksion noise and the rpms go up slower then normal and feels like it had half it's power and when I hit a light the car sometimes turns off cause it cant keep a steady and high enough idle. I checked the MAF and the wires and it looks good to me! The Throttle body is fine and when the car is in park and i rev the car by hand under the hood or by foot it runs fine but still has a rough idle!

You guys think that maybe the damp rag F'ed up my sercuitry?
Old 08-14-07, 10:05 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

not a security issue... could be lots of things - but the key is going to be getting those diagnostic codes - that'll tell us the area to start...
Old 08-15-07, 08:11 AM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
not a security issue... could be lots of things - but the key is going to be getting those diagnostic codes - that'll tell us the area to start...
Autozone or advanced auto does diagnostics for free... I would suggest going there if you can get there.
Old 08-15-07, 10:10 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think he meant circuitry, not security.

So you just wiped it off, right? My initial thought of someone cleaning their engine and having issues are washing it out in a car wash and not letting it sit and idle long enough to dry everything out, but if you were just wiping things down with a damp rag I can't imagine that would mess anything up.

+1 for going to Advance and having them pull the codes and let you know what's acting up.
Old 08-15-07, 01:24 PM
TRDRacer
Driver

K I got bad news my wires from emissions and the wires from the traction control are burnt! Delear said water got into them and it would cost me $750 to replace cause they need to take half the engine out inorder to get to the wires! I dunno how this happened as the towel was partly wet? Where are those wires located anyways?
Old 08-15-07, 01:46 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

I'd find an SC or Supra enthusiast somewhere in your area and have them check it out before I trusted a dealer that there was $750 worth of damage to my car.
Old 08-15-07, 01:52 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

sounds weird to me too... did they give you any diagnostic trouble codes...
Old 08-15-07, 03:45 PM
TRDRacer
Driver

NO they gave me no codes but I will ask to give me them on the paperwork when I get it back today. I think something fishy is going on here cause they say they can get the car done today,I left it there at 7:30am. DO you guys think that is enough time to pull the upper part of the engine, replace the wires and put it back in?
Old 08-15-07, 03:57 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Ouch, you already left it with them at that cost? I haven't even heard of emissions wires, and 5-speeds don't have traction control so I don't know about that either, but that still sounds ridiculous.
Old 08-15-07, 04:07 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

I don’t see why “emission system” wires and TRAC system wires being burnt would cause misfires. The track will cut throttle angel to control engine power and emission will kick a light. It sounds more like a vacuum issue. (that would explain the vacuum sound on acceleration) First thing. Find out what codes your car has/had. Seconded thing. There are several emission circuits, find out witch ones are “Damaged”.

Quick Reply: engine woes