Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

$1500 turbo kit

Old 08-09-07, 11:54 AM
parnzen
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $1500 turbo kit

i was looking on ebay at parts for an sc300 and i found a turbo kit for $1500. would anybody trust this on their car?

Last edited by neurocity; 08-10-07 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-09-07, 11:58 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Just remember you get what you pay for.
Old 08-09-07, 12:04 PM
parnzen
Pole Position

do u think that it would work well for a low psi application? like around 5-7 psi?
Old 08-09-07, 12:26 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by parnzen
do u think that it would work well for a low psi application? like around 5-7 psi?
You need to do some more research, plan your budget, your goals etc check www.clubna-t.com and www.supraforums.com for more info.
Old 08-09-07, 02:42 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hadnt seen that kit, It looks like its worth looking into.....But as Cherplex stated , be sure to do the research, before making a decision.
Realistically , that 1500 kit could turn into $4K+ EASILY!! And thats if you do the labor yourself..... Add another $2-4K if you need a professional to do it.
By the time you decide on how to manage your fuel, IE controller, bigger inj, FP. As well as a WB to monitor your AF. Plus you will need to either learn to tune the controller , or be sure to budget a tuner @ $150-200HR ......AND....... Most likely there will be addtl parts , not in the kit. IE: gaskets, seals, hoses, and several misc parts that you didnt plan to replace, but break during the conversion.
Plus any fabrication that you may need. IE welding, exhaust, and IC piping etc, As well as several other significant expenses that may arise.
There are also other things to consider that i wont get into, such as emmissions, etc.
Old 08-09-07, 03:31 PM
parnzen
Pole Position

do other turbo kits come with an ecu and all the computer stuff u need?
Old 08-09-07, 03:43 PM
Duckness
Lead Lap

nope. its all seperate to tune.
Old 08-09-07, 07:10 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Hhhaa I think i know the company that sells those kits. trust me DONT buy chinese turbos. id say everything in there is decent minus the actual turbo and the manifold. manifold will probably crack and turbo will burn seals and you will burn oil alot. The place i kno of has pallets of returned turbos
Old 08-10-07, 03:15 PM
cruzinbill
Rookie

id say if u wanna spend that amount go to www.clubna-t.com
Old 08-10-07, 03:39 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

If your driving a Lexus which repairs are already most costly then a lot of cars, do it right the first time. I look at my turbo set up as the last thing I need, so I will invest a good penny into it the first time around so I'll be satisfied. BL Kit for 5K with everything mechanical besides the rest of the exhaust is outstanding I'd just saw hold off on the boost until you can afford a well known setup like DaveH or BoostLogic.
Old 08-10-07, 04:39 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meh. Its a good kit, there are quite a few on clubna-t that have used it. Mark (98kmkiv) is a better ebay user to buy from. I think he posts here and he's a regular at SF and a sponsor over at clubna-t.

He is very legit and always willing to help out. I'd recommend him over this other seller.

I plan on using the kit as the base for my turbo build. And as its been said, remember there are other things you have to get to really do it right. Headgasket, arp head studs, clutch, motor mounts (your stockers will be toast), fuel, fuel control of some sort, etc. It can add up fast. I had saved $1700 and was going to buy one of the kits, until I pulled my motor apart and realized HOW MUCH stuff I had to get. $600 clutch, $120 motor mounts, $350 for the headgasket and headstuds, $200 for flywheel cleaning and head cleaning, $60 for a engine gasket kit, etc...

It added FAST and that doesnt include anything that has to do with an actual turbo kit. Though now, my motor can handle anything I can throw at it, the head is completely rebuilt and leaks no oil anymore, I can run a LOT more boost than stock compression and it will handle over 30psi on race gas without the head lifting, and my clutch (HPF Bronze) will handle over 700hp and is very daily drivable.

YumaSC300, what you say at the end of your post is EXACTLY the same thing people used to say about the DaveH kit. I remember when it came out the first time. I was one of the first to actually buy the manifold. I think I am the ONLY person to actually fit a T04B turbo onto one. I'm glad DaveH has gotten the recognition he deserved... there's a Sony-stigma with people these days on price. Sony televisions and most Sony products are crap, yet people still buy them because of the name and because they cost more than comparable products, they've GOT to be better right? If you get this kit and take care of it and do inspections, it will last a LONG time.

And if it needs to be rewelded, remember the manifold is about $150 or so new And a Boostlogic one costs 10x that. The Boostlogic manifold IS a better manifold. But not 10x better
Old 08-10-07, 06:40 PM
motorswaps
Rookie

I have had no issues with this stuff, but I am not running that turbo anymore either...
Old 08-10-07, 10:58 PM
YouLose
Driver

You should buy an XSPOWER turbo kit, replace it with a turbonetics kit on ebay (really cheap) HKS wastegate & B.O.V .
Old 08-11-07, 11:28 AM
Duckness
Lead Lap

you might as well build your own kit.
Old 08-11-07, 02:58 PM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

no.......piece your own kit together...get what YOU want, get the turbo YOu want, the wastegate YOU want, and BOV you want and ect....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $1500 turbo kit