Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ebay vs stock twins

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-07, 05:43 PM
sc300fan1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay vs stock twins

i have 2 chocies, i just got my wiring and drivshaft done on my 2jzgtte sc300.
now iam wondering if i should run my stock twins with a a fmic,piping,bov and boost controller. and put the rest of my money in the bank, or buy ebay manifold,wastegate and run my t-70? iam only 17 and dont have enuff money to go big with hks or greddy supply i did good to get a 2jzgtte with 6speed. i can have my manifold,piping,wastegate,255fuelpump,fmic,oillines,bov, downpipe,t-70 turbo all for under $900? what is a smarter move? have fun with ebay parts tell i get out of high school and then go big, or just chill with the stock twin with a few bolt ons? let me know your oppion, thanks.
Old 07-28-07, 05:51 PM
SCwidaGTE
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did you afford the Z and a 2jzgte SC at 17 years old? must have nice parents or alot of dead relatives with deep pockets.
Old 07-28-07, 06:08 PM
jefferino
Lead Lap

^^I agree! If I had the money at 17 to have a car like yours I would probably be able to afford anything.

As for your question...why waste your time with cheap ebay manifolds that will most likely crack. Just my opinion....you get what you pay for.
Old 07-28-07, 06:27 PM
sc300fan1
Driver School Candidate

ok lol for 1 if i wanted yalls opinion about my life i would ask for them. but thanks jefferino for your opinion (ON THE TOPIC) ur prolly right, its most likly gonna crack and waste my money and time.
Old 07-28-07, 06:58 PM
SCwidaGTE
Driver

that explains it, rich mommy and daddy

and, if you have unlimited funds from your parents, just have a nice manifold etc made. thats my plan, only minus the funds from my parents part, lol.
Old 07-28-07, 07:05 PM
sc300fan1
Driver School Candidate

lol is that isnt that funny, to bad i paid for my swap. guess the mommy and daddy jokes arent gonna work on this on =( sorry. traded my 1994 saturn my old ge motor with 5 speed tranny and $1200 bucks that i worked for. cough cough. someone always tryin to get mad just cause they aint got what someone else has.
Old 07-28-07, 07:08 PM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

sc300fan.... never be ashamed of your parents success. Later for the haters...I use to act like a turtle because my parents had it going on and others didn't. if my daughter doesn't take advantage of her resources I will feel like some of my sacrifices were a waste. back to the thread... I would try to upgrade that mani and turbo... I hear those stock one break easy.
Old 07-28-07, 07:51 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your 2JZ is JDM with the ceramic bearings, upgrade to the USDM turbos. These can be had on Supraforums for very reasonable amounts of money.

The USDM turbos with an aftermarket downpipe, exhaust, intake, front mount, and boost controller can haul *** with lightning fast spool and great reliability. If I was on any kind of budget (17 and supported by parents or 24 and working an $11/hr service job), this is the route I would take.
Old 07-28-07, 08:04 PM
SCwidaGTE
Driver

Originally Posted by sc300fan1
lol is that isnt that funny, to bad i paid for my swap. guess the mommy and daddy jokes arent gonna work on this on =( sorry. traded my 1994 saturn my old ge motor with 5 speed tranny and $1200 bucks that i worked for. cough cough. someone always tryin to get mad just cause they aint got what someone else has.
your 94 saturn was worth 8000+ bucks? 1200 plus a ge motor and trans equals like, 3000.... last i checked, gte swaps ran 10kish plus all the stuff to make it work. must have been one MINT 94 saturn. and, the Z? what beater car did you sell to buy that 25,000 dollar car? haha. and i'm not mad, because i don't want a blue SC300, and if i did, i would want it paid for out of my pocket
Old 07-28-07, 08:26 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

What I want to know is, ..what the hell is a 2jzgtte? Is this some new, top secret engine I dont know about?
Old 07-28-07, 09:37 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by na4now
What I want to know is, ..what the hell is a 2jzgtte? Is this some new, top secret engine I dont know about?
hardly. it is a misnomer for the 2JZ-GTE. people who don't know any better think the engine code requires two T's, one for each turbo. in reality, even if Toyota made a quad turbo W12, the suffix on the engine code would still be -GTE.
Old 07-29-07, 01:11 AM
YouLose
Driver

Originally Posted by sc300fan1
what is a smarter move? have fun with ebay parts tell i get out of high school and then go big, or just chill with the stock twin with a few bolt ons? let me know your oppion, thanks.
Thats if you get out of highschool with all those typos.
Old 07-29-07, 01:32 AM
Teflon Don
Rookie

Man, you guys are harsh! Leave the kid be.

To concur with most of the people here, Id hold off and get proper stuff. Chances are you will want to drive the car hard and the cheap stuff will pop soon enough.

good luck.
Old 07-29-07, 02:51 AM
sc300fan1
Driver School Candidate

lol naw the saturn was sold for 3gs, and the 2jzge was sold for $800, i was gonna let the motor go for $300 because it was ate up with miles (300,000) but a local guy gave me 800 for it. i got a deal on my swap from another local guy. for around 5gs. he was asking 6gs but i put the money in his face and he took it =) money talks b/s walks. sorry for the type os.
Old 07-29-07, 02:53 AM
cwtt
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Just go BPU or BPU+ until you can save up for a name brand turbo kit. Before I went single on my Supra (Boost logic 67mm single kit) I was BPU+. I made 430whp. BPU+ puts you at 400-450wheel hp (on race gas). That is enough for any 17 year old kid to kill them selves. Honestly that is probably too much power for you. That is way over 500 crank hp. This of course is on a US spec GTE motor.

If you have a JDM motor then you will have slightly less hp only because you can't turn the boost up on the ceramic turbos. You will still make a lot of power out of them with just BPU mods.

BPU mods on a GTE motor will still allow you to make power and retain a lot of the Toyota reliablility. If you go with one of the ebay single kits, it is going to cost you a lot more than you think. You will have to get a clutch, fuel system, you better have a 6spd v160, and of course a good machine shop because the ebay kits never fit perfectly.

Just stay BPU+, it is fast and reliable.

Quick Reply: ebay vs stock twins