Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

American V8 in a SC

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 09:59 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default American V8 in a SC

Co worker wanted to do something different than a 1 or 2 JZ engine swap, has anyone dropped a American V8 in a SC. Small block chevy or Ford with accompanied transmission. He is doing research and ask me to as the experts here online. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-07, 10:03 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Haven't seen one yet, but a few have talked about it.

You should do it.
Old 07-28-07, 01:13 AM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

LS1 muahahaa
Old 07-28-07, 04:42 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

local shop does stock ls1's in sc's for 9k
Old 07-28-07, 07:56 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recall seeing that this has been done before, but I do not recall seeing any Club Lexus guys who have pulled it off.

An LS1 is probably the ideal engine. Although, the s/c 4.6L from the Cobra would be amazing as well. A custom fab job on the front crossmember to accomodate the engine mounts would be the most major stumbling block short of the wiring.

I would run by TTC Performance's website. Eric (CL member cowboy) has developed a number of goodies for the 4.7L iron block 2UZ Tundra engine. The swap would be easy, and his 5.5L stroker kit alone would give you an absolute monster with gobs of torque off idle.

In my opinion, the money saved for having to jump through hoops to get the LS1 into the SC could be invested in the 2UZ and give you a pretty kick *** engine that would be very "out of the box".
Old 07-28-07, 08:41 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some of the hardcore guys on Lextreme have discussed this, and I know Jibby has definitely discussed this quite a bit. It is certainly doable, and one of the great things about the LS1 is the Power and torque it produecs along with great fuel efficiency on the street. But for the purists, you are still looking at a pushrod V8 vs a Quadcam OHV V8, and that is almost considered sacrilege in most Lexus circles. I wouldn't mind seeing it done, but you will definitely have to plan it well, along with the right engine management, and drive train. Lots of work, like building a new car from the ground up...I think I would just go out and buy a late model Vette and agressively work on stiffening the chassis even further, and improving the quality of the interior, mod the engine in it, and call it a day...Much easier to do, and what a looker the new Vettes are...

It won't be cheap to do the swap correctly...

I gotta agree with Blizzy, if I wanted a 5.7 liter N/A in my Lexus, I would go the route of Eric at MVP or I would check with Lextreme as well, of course these stroker kits may suck lots of gas...Check with them, and see what they can do for you.

I still think to mod the SC engine, either Turbo or supercharge it. You do not have to go to the level that I did to get to 400 HP or so, a low boost turbo set up on the stock engine, or Eaton or whipple attached to the stock engine with low boost should get you there as well...For a lot less money. Just make sure you do a leakdown and have excellent compression before you add all that forced air, and your fuel economy on the FI, especially the turbo, should be equal to stock, at least when you don't have your foot in it...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 07-28-07 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-28-07, 10:31 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LS engine is today's version of the 2JZ: lots of cars have em, but its starting to become commonplace every where you look. Not only will the Chevy guys go after you with pitchforks and torches, its boring to have another LS1 floating around the tuner world. Being different is what building a car is all about though, so if you want to go LS1, then be my guest. I say go with the 2UZ-FE, stroke it and super charge it. If you want more grab one of those 5.7L Tundra engines (3UR-FE) and start tweaking those....
Old 07-28-07, 11:01 AM
fonzo
Pole Position

the th400 tranny has been used with the 2jz. So I know you can put a chevy engine can be used but that a big cost ?
Old 07-28-07, 09:15 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

OR-- Look into the 5.6 V8 from Nissan in the Titan-- pretty stout motor -- At least that would be Japanese still .....
Old 07-28-07, 09:43 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
OR-- Look into the 5.6 V8 from Nissan in the Titan-- pretty stout motor -- At least that would be Japanese still .....
a stroked 5.5L 2UZ would cost a little bit more, but would swap much more easily and make gobs more torque than a Titan (385lb*ft). The stock 2UZ already makes 315lb*ft of torque. With 20% more stroke: jesus.

now, rebuild the head to rev a grand or two over the stock 5300 rev limiter and use cams to bias the power band accordingly: holy ****, you have an n/a monster.

add nitrous, and you have a classic american muscle car build on a Toyota engine in a Lexus: talk about unique.
Old 07-28-07, 10:05 PM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder if late model 1uz heads could be used on the 2uz block for the better cams and breathing. I also wonder how easy a 2uz swap would be. Are mounts the same?
Old 07-28-07, 11:55 PM
zero442
Driver School Candidate

I agree with blizzy, for a project with similar costs and no custom crossmember or motor mounts i assume would be associated with the lsx swap your friend could have a completely unique all Toyota monster.
Old 07-29-07, 06:53 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

I find this thread very interesting...
All of the ideas suggested are certainly possible, and I believe it is positive to discuss different thoughts as possibillities for one to consider in modding the SC. I think you all know enough about me that you know I strive to be as unique and one-off with my mods as possible, and I understand the satisfaction of driving a SC or other vehicle that is different, yet retains certain features and functions of the original intent of the manufacturer.

As you all know, when it comes to modding a car, the sky is the limit...You can do practically anything you want if you apply enough time, effort, engineering and money, especially money to a project. Believe me, I know....

My point is, to swap other manufacturers motors and trannies that either have not been done, or even find a shop to make the custom fabricated parts necessary to accomplish this is a monumental feat, and an extremely expensive one. Consider all the engineering, time, effort, fabrication, and expense it would take to swap in a foreign manufacturters parts into the Lexus. It took me 1.5 years to just find the right fabricator to build a custom set of reverse flow headers to fit my TT 1UZ project...I am not saying this could not be done, but it is a tremendous undertaking...Not worth it, IMHO...

If you stroke the motor, a much easier project, but still a major amount of work and expense. And once you stroke a motor, Lexus or otherwise, rework the heads and the cam profiles, consider your standard Lexus driveability as having gone out the door. Your car will not drive the same, and again, your fuel mileage will go out the door.

I really believe that to mod for extra performance and power, Supercharging the stock motor is the most economical, and the easiest...You will get loads of instantaneous torque, the car will double its HP, and you will have spent a lot less money to boot. Second is a turbo setup that does not run high boost. Again, you can use the stock motor and still get double your HP, and the car will awaken to a point that will put a major smile on your face...

I am not saying don't do it, But I would just go out and buy a Nissan 350Z, or a used Vette, before I would go to that level to re-build and re-engineer a SC to have their motor and drivetrain...Because the money you will spend will probably exceed the cost to go out and find a good deal on a used model of these other cars...And how old is your Lexus SC?

My thoughts...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 07-29-07 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-29-07, 09:14 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

due to size constraints, I've heard the tundra heads won't clear the hood-- Makes me think the Titan heads wouldn't either--

Anybody that thinks a homebrew mod job on a 2UZ will yield results on par with the titan 5.6 is nuts- that motor makes 350 ft/lb AT 1500 rpms-- so basically what I'm trying to say is, that motor makes 350 ft/lb AT 1500 rpms--

BUT-- I seriously doubt the titan motor would fit either... Or the new Tundra motor for that matter--

For this job, there is a best answer, well, two best answers-- do one of those combinations of the 2uz block and late 1UZ heads, with a stroked crank and maybe a bore-over -- 5.X liters of gas sucking torque-- Then get that sucker tuned on a standalone-- Good luck not going broke on that one, but at least it will be a native block you didn't have to fab mounts for --

The other best option is the LSX -- tiny outer dimensions for a v8, lightweight, even lighter than the 1uz aluminum block-- Just use one from a Trans Am or a GTO -- that way the mani won't say Vette on it and you'll be able to fool a few onlookers-- custom fab is easier than custom tuning and wiring issues in my opinion - - so mate it to a T56 and you'll get 28mpg or thereabouts-- I think we're a bit heavier than the vette's and will probably get mpg more like a GTO -- but who's complaining-- You're a set of headers, camshaft (just one stick), and hypertech away from making 400+ hp and 450+ tq.. Those motors go nuts with just a few mods-- Then your SC would finally be fast from light to light and on a track-- No waiting for boost either, and no messing with a supercharger--

I believe Dellowe's from Australia also makes bellhousings that will mate a LSX block to an R154 -- which would yield better tranny fitment I think--

Last edited by MJHSC400; 07-29-07 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-29-07, 09:41 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Agreed, but I don't even know of anyone that has a running version of the 2UZ with the later heads, I believe some are attempting it though. Interesting to see their results.

Again, expense, even if any of these versions fit, lots of cash, and most SC users are not going to go there....Bang for buck, not a great return.

Waiting for boost? Designed right and sized with the proper turbos, waiting for boost is practically non-existant, I can tell you from experience on my SCTT. Messing with a supercharger? And the problem is???

Either is still simpler than swapping foreign motors and drivetrains, IMHO...

Ryan

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
due to size constraints, I've heard the tundra heads won't clear the hood-- Makes me think the Titan heads wouldn't either--

Anybody that thinks a homebrew mod job on a 2UZ will yield results on par with the titan 5.6 is nuts- that motor makes 350 ft/lb AT 1500 rpms-- so basically what I'm trying to say is, that motor makes 350 ft/lb AT 1500 rpms--

BUT-- I seriously doubt the titan motor would fit either... Or the new Tundra motor for that matter--

For this job, there is a best answer, well, two best answers-- do one of those combinations of the 2uz block and late 1UZ heads, with a stroked crank and maybe a bore-over -- 5.X liters of gas sucking torque-- Then get that sucker tuned on a standalone-- Good luck not going broke on that one, but at least it will be a native block you didn't have to fab mounts for --

The other best option is the LSX -- tiny outer dimensions for a v8, lightweight, even lighter than the 1uz aluminum block-- Just use one from a Trans Am or a GTO -- that way the mani won't say Vette on it and you'll be able to fool a few onlookers-- custom fab is easier than custom tuning and wiring issues in my opinion - - so mate it to a T56 and you'll get 28mpg or thereabouts-- I think we're a bit heavier than the vette's and will probably get mpg more like a GTO -- but who's complaining-- You're a set of headers, camshaft (just one stick), and hypertech away from making 400+ hp and 450+ tq.. Those motors go nuts with just a few mods-- Then your SC would finally be fast from light to light and on a track-- No waiting for boost either, and no messing with a supercharger--

I believe Dellowe's from Australia also makes bellhousings that will mate a LSX block to an R154 -- which would yield better tranny fitment I think--

Quick Reply: American V8 in a SC