Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question: Clattering sound while under load in 5spd SC300

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 02:23 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question: Clattering sound while under load in 5spd SC300

Hi Everyone,

I've done a few searches can can't find an exact match...
I own a 93 SC300 5spd with about 200k on the odo.

My problem is when my car is in gear thus under load, at low rpms (< 2000) I hear what I believe to be valve clattering (almost like a light train chugging type sound). If I am free revving in neutral, I do not get this same sound. Rather, it sounds quite healthy.

I'm trying to get a second opinion on the source of this sound to avoid an unnecessary and costly valve adjustment.

Thanks in advance for indulging my problem everyone.

To update this post, when I drove home today I made sure to turn off the radio and listen well and hard @ this clattering noise (while in traffic of course). I then noticed that the sound also occurs during high rpm's (while in gear), it just masked by the louder sound of my engine revving. Although, free revving it still sounds much healthier.

Last edited by habitat; 07-25-07 at 09:59 PM. Reason: update.
Old 07-25-07, 03:09 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What shape are your motor mounts in?
Old 07-25-07, 04:17 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If not motor mounts, try trans mount or shifter bushings.
Old 07-25-07, 04:58 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

i have the same thing, and im pretty sure its the exhaust heat shield, one of my clamps or whatever is apart at the seams and the two sides are banging together, when im in nuetral it sonds fine and at higher rpms its not as bad, i havent figured anything out yet as to how to fix it but im working on it and will let you know when i fix it
Old 07-25-07, 09:55 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnar
What shape are your motor mounts in?
Good question, I'll be sure to check it out. I did see some topics on this issue which involved vibration. I don't so much feel any odd vibrations other than normal engine vibration, It's more of a sound that I hear directly in front of me.

Originally Posted by rocessk3
i have the same thing, and im pretty sure its the exhaust heat shield, one of my clamps or whatever is apart at the seams and the two sides are banging together, when im in nuetral it sonds fine and at higher rpms its not as bad, i havent figured anything out yet as to how to fix it but im working on it and will let you know when i fix it
Hmm, Exhaust heat shield. Where is this heat shield located? Headers? Cats?... Can? Whatever you do, please update me on your progress.
Old 07-26-07, 11:42 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by habitat
Good question, I'll be sure to check it out. I did see some topics on this issue which involved vibration. I don't so much feel any odd vibrations other than normal engine vibration, It's more of a sound that I hear directly in front of me.

Hmm, Exhaust heat shield. Where is this heat shield located? Headers? Cats?... Can? Whatever you do, please update me on your progress.
get under your car and look at the exhaust, directly on top of the Y-pipe is a small heat shield(which i removed because two of the clamps were broken and it rattled),

the heat shield is the orange part on this drawing, there is a top and bottom section of it(one piece is on top of the piping and an identical piece on bottom that are held together by rivets around the seam) a couple of rivets popped out on mine and the two sections are rattling together at the seam, i need to find a way to hold them together to stop rattling. once i do this im pretty sure the problem will be solved