Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tremec TR-6060? Size of T-56 & Handles 650lb-ft tq, will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 04:42 PM
USAF_RT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tremec TR-6060? Size of T-56 & Handles 650lb-ft tq, will it work?

Unfortunately since the search feature is gone, I cannot go pulling up any threads on the Tremec T-56. But I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the dimensions and/or possibilities for the future TR-6060.

Of course the Getrag is great for the Supra guys that can just drop it in and everything lines up fine...but for us SC300 folk and other 2JZGTE people looking for a good 5 or 6spd manual transmission that requires a custom driveshaft anyways, I figured there might be other options out there. I realize their are many other aspects aside from the physical dimensions, but I figured this might stir up some thought.

And since it's from domestic cars, they might be more available than the Getrag...or at least at a slightly better price once they have been out for a little while.

---------------------
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The Tremec TR-6060 six-speed manual transmission features six forward speeds and one reverse speed. It is derived from the Tremec T-56 6-speed manual transmission. The forward helical cut gears are synchronized while the reverse gear operates through a fully-synchronized constant-mesh system. The TR-6060 sports removable wear pads on the shift forks, and uses aluminum alloys for the main case, extension housing, and clutch housing. It is manufactured by Transmission Technologies Corporation and is rated for 600 ft-lb of torque.
Originally Posted by Mustang Magazine
So you might be wondering exactly how a Tremec TR-6060 compares with the T56 you know and love. In short, it’s better in just about every way. It can handle more torque thanks to a move from a 10-spline input shaft to a 26-spline unit. Moreover, the new case is stronger, the countershafts are one-piece units, and the gear faces are wider. All these changes add up to much greater strength, which we’ll all appreciate after we start modding these cars. What we noticed while driving the car, however, was its easy, precise shifting despite the factory shifter.

The prime movers in the better shifting are increased synchronizers on all the gears. Where the Terminator T56 had only two synchros on the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts and single synchros on the remaining gears, the TR-6060 offers triple synchros on the 1-2 and 3-4, and dual synchros on all remaining gears, including Reverse. Plus, the synchronizers have been upgraded from a carbon-particle paper to a sintered-bronze material.

Gt500 Transmission Gears
A larger input shaft, beefier gears, more synchronizers, closer gear ratios, and more make this six-speed one that should become a popular aftermarket upgrade.
So this transmission shifts easier, but it also offers a shorter shift throw. "The synchronizer hubs are much narrower, reducing fore and aft shift travel,” Tremec’s Jim Averill explained. “Additionally, the hub system uses three encapsulated ball-and-coil-spring struts that are much more precise than the old-style hoop-and-stamped strut. This also adds to a smoother fore, aft shift.”

So the TR-6060 is smoother, stronger, and just better than its predecessors. That’s cool, but the better news for those who aren’t buying GT 500s is that Tremec will be rolling a lot of this technology into its aftermarket transmissions, so you’ll be able to put all the good stuff in your Mustang soon.
Old 07-23-07, 05:40 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by USAF_RT
but for us SC300 folk and other 2JZGTE people looking for a good 5 or 6spd manual transmission that requires a custom driveshaft anyways, I figured there might be other options out there.
Don't forget a custom bellhousing and likely a custom shift linkage...not only drastically affecting cost but also probably eliminating the future use of a short shifter.
Old 07-23-07, 07:32 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Search feature works for me.
Anyway, there is an adapter for the TKO600 to a 2jz.
I was looking at doing it, but after the price of the tranny (cheap) the bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, hydro t/o bearing it cost damn near the same as a decent v160.
Im still torn on doing a 4L80e or the TKO
Old 07-23-07, 11:20 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

It still does not address the main problem with the T56 and one of the main superior qualities the V160 holds over it: 5 regular gears and only 1 overdrive gear. The T56 has 2 overdrives and it sucks. Its basically a 5-speed with an extra gear thrown on top. No thanks. I'll take the R154 which is easier (and cheaper) to use.

I guess Tremec doesnt understand... I'd thought they'd have released a REAL 6-speed transmission by now.
Old 07-24-07, 10:43 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

modifying a driveshaft isnt expensive. Any Welder/fabricator can mod yours for 100-400(depending on the shop). Of course custom 1-peice's like the Virtual Works/WOTM run around 12-1300.

Stop looking for the easy way out. If the W58 is too weak for you, there is of course the r154(cheap and it fits) Or save you pennies for the V160 swap. Both Toyota and no need to modify.

As others have said, after you start changing and fabbing parts for a T56(which isnt that strong anyways) or other trans. You could have a complete r154 swap and money left over for a nice clutch. Hell, even if it came to be more money a direct boltin, one day worth of work is worth the extra few bucks then sourcing and modifying non-interchangeable parts.
Old 07-25-07, 07:49 PM
USAF_RT
Driver

Originally Posted by Arizona
...Stop looking for the easy way out. If the W58 is too weak for you, there is of course the r154(cheap and it fits) Or save you pennies for the V160 swap. Both Toyota and no need to modify...
r154 fits with modifications...
Old 07-25-07, 08:57 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Not if you get the right one. Soarer R154s are drop-ins. And there are several on this forum that have one; they arent THAT rare.
JZA70 R154s are a dime a dozen and just need the shifter linkage changed.
Old 07-26-07, 06:53 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

the t56 is a strong tranny but it was made for a motor with much more torque so your powerband wont match your gearing which will make you bog alot
Old 07-26-07, 02:22 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Torque has nothing directly to do with acceleration or gearing preferences. Torque is just a value of instantaneous rotational force and by itself means absolutely nothing. If it is applied over time, then it will accelerate a vehicle but Torque over time is Power. (referenced as horsepower or Kilowatts, etc)

The T56 has similar gearing to other 5-speeds out there (sans the extra overdrive gear). What you're referring to is the tall GEARS, which are independent of the transmission and common on some cars equipped with the T56... like the 2.73 rear end in Fbodies, etc.