Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Resetting the ECU? Or do I need more fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 10:04 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Resetting the ECU? Or do I need more fuel?

Hey folks,

I just got my car back together this morning before I came to work. New plugs, cleaned out the MAF, and put the alternator back in and locktite/double nutted the power wire (I've had the nut completely back off twice on me now, and I lose charge).

I fired it up really quick to make sure everything was ok before I had to leave, and once it warmed up a little the idle got choppy - not surging or wanting to die, just stumbling. Give it any gas and the car smoothes out.

My roommate said it sounded lean at idle, once the ECU relearns itself should that work itself out? The car didn't do it prior to the plugs going bad. All I have performance wise is an intake, catback, and pulleys - I have the Walbro 255 for boosted applications sitting in my room but I didn't think I'd need more fuel yet.

Advice is always appreciated guys!
Old 07-13-07, 10:26 AM
Devir
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you say you did alot of work on the car and replaced the plugs, cleaned the MAF and all, i'd say the car needs some relearning. It's sputtered and nearly stalled on me a few times after major updates (eg; BGI, performance sparks)...

You are best to let it idle to warm, then slowly rev it to various RPM points. 1500, 2000, 2500... This will let the ECU remap all the RPM ranges.

In the case of the MAF, how did you clean it? Those things are very delicate. If it was extremely dirty, then it's freaked out over the increase of air and is trying to respond. It takes about a day or two to really get adjusted, depending on how you drive.

After making my BFI mod, It was a good week before I needed to go above 3k RPM. When i needed to floor it, the car near stalled almost killing me. Moral is, train the ECU before you get on the road.
Old 07-13-07, 11:40 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think it was overly dirty, but it did sit in the engine bay without an intake on it for a while in my garage. I used electrical contact cleaner and let it sit and dry out completely for a few days.

Good to know, thanks for the response. I need to get it out of the garage now, I live in a duplex and the neighbors don't appreciate us having our cars running in the garage (my roommate has a deathly loud Formula as well) unless we're just pulling it out. Which I can understand, because **** in my room shakes when he starts his car.