Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My SC just started bellowing out smoke; smells like gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 11:27 AM
MCG33
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My SC just started billowing out smoke; smells like gas

Ok so first off, my fuel pump ecu crapped out on me a couple weeks ago, so I have been using the paperclip jump from b+ to fp to bypass it until I got a new ecu. It had been driving fine up until yesterday, when I noticed that I didn't hear the fuel pump come on when I turned the key to the on position like I had been before. The car started right up so I didn't think anything of it and it got me home fine.

So just now I go out to start it up and run to the store, and again no sound from the fuel pump when I turn the key to on, but still starts right up. So I shut it off, check the paperclip and it didn't seem to have moved out of position, but I take it out and make a new one to stick in there to see if it helps. So with fresh paperclip in, again no fp noise but starts up. I let it warm up for like 30 seconds and start to smell gas. I tried revving up the engine a little bit and then all this smoke starts shooting out of the exhaust, it's a whitish smoke and reeks of gasoline. I shut down the car, took the clip out and started it again. Same thing, except I actually heard the pump come on this time (which is weird because I couldn't even start it without the clip last week) so now I am just completely lost.

I'm assuming this has to have something to do with the fuel pump because of the smell, but what exactly might be causing this? The engine was also shaking a bit. Could I possibly have a BHG? It was running fine up until this point. What should I go check before I break down and just take it to the shop?

Last edited by MCG33; 07-12-07 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-12-07, 11:59 AM
MCG33
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked my coolant and its brown, and checked the oil cap but there doesn't seem to be any straight moisture. The oil does seem a tad thin though. Now I'm scared to even drive it up Lexus even though its less than 5 miles away, if it is the head gasket I don't want to make things even worse.