Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

AC conversion R12 to 134a

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 06:58 AM
RikTT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC conversion R12 to 134a

Want to convert my ac r12 to 134a.Bought the coversion for it.I have to switch the the nipple pieces.theres one acess port by the radiator (red cap) and theres one under the intake hose on the body.Which ones the high pressure side?
Ricky
Old 07-12-07, 07:44 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RikTT
Want to convert my ac r12 to 134a.Bought the coversion for it.I have to switch the the nipple pieces.theres one acess port by the radiator (red cap) and theres one under the intake hose on the body.Which ones the high pressure side?
Ricky
bad, wait, no, horrible idea...

many many reasons....

ya want me to inform you why, let me know...
Old 07-12-07, 09:05 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
bad, wait, no, horrible idea...

many many reasons....

ya want me to inform you why, let me know...
care to share?
Old 07-12-07, 09:11 AM
csaxon
Driver

R12 is superior to R134a for cooling. Why would you want to change it?
The following users liked this post:
Brownd3max (03-19-21)
Old 07-12-07, 09:46 AM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

R12 is old, has many polutants that destroy ozone. Many shop in California won't work on R12 systems anymore.
need I say more?
Old 07-12-07, 09:55 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

TREEEEEE HUGGER!!!!

just kidding... lol
Brownd3max (03-19-21)
Old 07-12-07, 10:03 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by LukeDogg
R12 is old, has many polutants that destroy ozone. Many shop in California won't work on R12 systems anymore.
need I say more?
Bring it to Vegas, we do R12 work here on an almost daily basis.

R12 only damages things if released to the atmosphere, in a closed loop A/C system, not much to worry about - so long as you aren't doing it on purpose, the government has no laws against using it...

R12 is more efficient, this doesn't mean that R134 doesn't work well, as it works great, in a system designed for it... R134 systems have larger condenser and evaporator cores with smaller tube/fin designs due to it's smaller molecular size... The smaller condenser and evaporator cores run out of heat transfer capability at a certain point on every vehicle no matter R12 or 134, the problem is, putting 134 into a system designed for 12 will lower the point at which heat transfer no longer happens...

HCF134A is also smaller in molecular size than R12, which means any potential leaks that may exist will become major leaks. Also, I do not believe our hose assemblies are rated for 134 usage, so 134 may seep straight through the walls of the hoses. In addition to this, the seals and o-rings used in our cars were not designed originally for the ultra tight clearances as a newer 134 system, so you would have to replace and check all of the seals as well.

Another problem - our compressors were designed for mineral oil. The system is filled with a specific amount of mineral oil. Mineral oil is too heavy for 134 to carry throughout the system, so you must use an oil that is compatible with 134. This oil was not originally designed to be used with our compressors (though this may not be horrible), but our main problem is that the mineral oil must be drained and the substitute oil added (typically a PAG oil, however, I'd have to look up the correct substitute). Then you have to get the correct amount of oil in the system, which typically means running it a little overfilled (no way to tell how much is in the whole system for sure), which means running less refrigerant than the car calls for...

There is more, but thats the main stuff...
Old 07-12-07, 10:27 AM
RikTT
Pole Position

good source of info mitsuguy....i know r12 has polutants and factory system has mineral oils etc...this is why i cant really find a shop that would recharge it plus they or the tech has to have a refridgeration license..not to mention a lil more on the price for r12. the conversion has all of that stuff that reseals plus its a high mileage type, which most of our rides are..
R134 is definitely more readily available and a DIY job, if i can convert it over.
So, which is high pressure side on the sc3 ? In the front or under intake hose ?
Ricky
Old 07-12-07, 10:59 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

eff the sc, ac is for wimps, take out the supras.
Old 07-12-07, 11:07 AM
Toshima
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aliga
eff the sc, ac is for wimps, take out the supras.
more info please
Old 07-12-07, 11:23 AM
RikTT
Pole Position

pick up the damm eff'ing phone !!! supra's top come off..enough a/c there
Old 07-12-07, 03:49 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

fcukin' lol
Old 07-12-07, 04:22 PM
RikTT
Pole Position

any one familiar with 406a or autofrost? might be the same thing. Is it sold over the counter..someone said it might be compatible to r12, just add it to the system.Mine is already low,everything works fine , just a recharge needed
Old 07-12-07, 04:26 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by RikTT
any one familiar with 406a or autofrost? might be the same thing. Is it sold over the counter..someone said it might be compatible to r12, just add it to the system.Mine is already low,everything works fine , just a recharge needed
at any reputable shop, a R12 recharge should cost $250 or less, just do it and be happy everything works well as is...

once you contaminate an A/C system, you will NEVER find anyone that will work on it without charging a huge amount to clean the system first...

a/c gauges are expensive, and you pretty much ruin a set if you introduce a mixture of gases to it, even air is harmful - it is imperative that no moisture gets in the system... if a mechanic sees that an A/C system has had anything other than R-12 or 134, 100% of the time, they will not work on it - it contaminates their stuff... we have a $1200 gas analyzer for finding this stuff out prior to working on a car...
Old 07-12-07, 08:32 PM
ncsu-tc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LukeDogg
need I say more?
Propaganda
Brownd3max (03-19-21)

Quick Reply: AC conversion R12 to 134a