Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Battery Relocation Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 05:07 PM
GTE_SC3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Relocation Help

Hey well ive relocated the battery to the back. I have everything done except for I havent run the power cable to the front of the car. Well my question is does anyone have pictures or a route to run the power cable up front. There is just not enough room to run the wire without pinching it in between something. Ive also searched but there isnt anything really about how people run it to the front.

Or do the cars that have a relocation kit on them go through the inside of the car to get past all the crap and exit out just in front of the rear axle.

If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated. Lets here some ideas.

Thanks
Chris
Old 07-11-07, 05:21 PM
sliva001
Lead Lap

I'm about to relocate my batt to the trunk too. I think I'll just run it under the car. alongside the plastic cover of the fuel lines
Old 07-11-07, 06:47 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

thats whut i would do, and put a type of cover over it.
Old 07-11-07, 07:55 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

When I ran a dedicated 6 guage wire to my trunk I found a very handy underutilized passage way from near were the battery is into the drivers side wheel wheel. You have to remove most of the drivers side plastic wheel liner beginning nearest to the door to reveal it. From there it was easy to run wires to the back under the carpet, the rear seat (removed) area and into the truck through existing gromet holes. I did not want that power line exposed to the elements.
Old 07-11-07, 08:09 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ran my 0 guage power wire through the cabin. if you take out the rear seat, you'll see a sort of rubber grommet that you can run that through. then just along the side and up under the steering column. i believe there's a grommet in the firewall there too, or you maybe just have to make one if you opt to go this way. then i have the 0 guage power wire connected to a distribution block that's connected to the stock power cable just in case.

added info: i upgraded my alt to a 200amp alt so i added a 0 guage onto the alternator. so i have both, stock power wire and 0 guage wire from alt to the distribution block which runs to the 0 guage to the battery in the trunk.
Old 07-11-07, 08:38 PM
LEXuriouss
Banned

soo why do you guys play with power cables again? why would you relocate your battery? turbo ?
Old 07-11-07, 08:50 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Why are you relocating your battery to the back? Weight distribution?
Old 07-11-07, 08:58 PM
LEXuriouss
Banned

weight? u kidding me? battery is maybe 15-20lbs stop eating cheesburgers ! and maybe weight dist. will work out then
remember your car is super heavy!! this will not do a thing unless your car is gutted.. remember sc is 3500 or 3600 lbs!

luxor just kidding man
Old 07-11-07, 09:07 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I think most people do it because of the turbo. Gotta make room for those crazy Virtual Works manifolds.
Old 07-11-07, 09:40 PM
GTE_SC3
Pole Position

Well im doing it because, my Sc just became my race car. The 2JZGTE motor is on the way and will be in by next week. And well since i wanted the engine bay looking clean I moved it back to the rear of the car. Also the single turbo kit is going to be order soon with a GT42 Turbo. But I wont get into everything till in makes a pass then we will supply info on the setup.

Also I was looking under the car, and noticed that I wouldnt be able to run it above the rear axle. There is just to much stuff to pinch the wire. But I did notice there was a few holes in the mount that I think connects to the rear diff. so i was thinking maybe if nothing gets in the way I will run it through there. Tomorrow or friday I will take some pics of how it turned out to help anyone else, trying to figure out info on relocation of the battery.

Thanks for the input you guys, always helping out the New Guys on the learning curve.

Chris
Old 07-11-07, 09:49 PM
RLB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luxor
Why are you relocating your battery to the back? Weight distribution?
the 3 most common reasons are more space/room under the hood (its very tight as it is stock imo and much more tight trying to run tubing, wires, turbo, etc), easy/better access and servicing from the trunk, and better weight distro more so if you have more than one battery or a heavy one.
Old 07-12-07, 02:25 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ran mine to the back, I think I used 1 gauge, if I remember correctly. We drilled a hole through the firewall in the front drivers side engine compartment, and ran the cable under the carpet, and down the side of the center tunnel to the rear. We then ran the cable infront of the rear left seat at the floor, and up the side to the rubber grommet behind the upper rear of the seat, and into the trunk, then we rsan it to the passenger side from inside the trunk and mounted the battery in the place of the stock CD changer. We ran all the stereo cables on the opposite side of the tunnel. If you go to my post, SC400TT Project car, somewhere in there are pics of alot of this.

BTW, I did it because of the space needed to place the turbos...

Ryan
Old 07-12-07, 10:02 AM
KAME
Driver

I'd recommend just running a lightweight battery. I have a ~12lb. Odyssey battery that is very small, fits in the stock location, and removes a lot of weight. Moving a stock sized battery or Optima battery to the back will actually add weight. My car has been on a diet since I bought it, and I should be around 3200lbs. by the years end. Currently at 3315lbs. with a 1/4 tank.
Old 07-12-07, 07:34 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the weightloss specs. on the Odyssey battery KAME, Im going to get one when mine goes bad.
Old 05-02-10, 09:25 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm doing the same thing. Can I just run a power cable to the back, or do I have to run a negative cable all the way to. I wanted to just ground the engine grounds to chassis then ground batt in back separate.

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation Help