Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My Mechanic Says Car Not Worth Fixing

Old 07-07-07, 10:46 AM
lalexigirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Mechanic Says Car Not Worth Fixing

I just joined here.
I have to replace valve cover gasket, distrib seal, timing belt and there's an oil leak. I am attached to my 95 SC300 but my CD needs to be replaced too! I don't have any mechanic abilities. Should I go to a auto mechanics school???? Get the parts myself from salvage and bring to my mechanic?? He's a very honest mechanic and he just doesn't want me to spend money I don't have! What do I do??? I need suggestions and thoughts you guys help!!https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ima...es/biggrin.gif
Old 07-07-07, 11:34 AM
mattsmall

lol, valve cover and distrib is easy to fix, timing belt i would take to a shop to have done since you have limited mechanic skills and the oil leak is probably from the valve cover gasket leaking. it is california so any car that isnt new is a pos so dont spend a little money to fix the car just drop 40,000 on a new car.
Old 07-07-07, 11:48 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsmall
it is california so any car that isnt new is a pos so dont spend a little money to fix the car just drop 40,000 on a new car.

lalexigirl, Yes no matter how nice the SC is, you will always be throwing some money at it. Search around here with your problems, chances are someone already has gone through the same thing, and posted on how they fixed it.
As for parts, there is a classified forum. And there are many dealerships that can find most everything. Most of the time Aliga (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/members/667-aliga.html) has three or four of what you may be looking for.
Old 07-07-07, 11:49 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles are on the car/engine? If the oil leak is bad, then maybe you can just replace with a lower mileage used engine. 2jz-ge are pretty cheap nowadays, maybe around $500. Add in labor which is maybe a bit over $1k. Just replace all the belts and other hard to get to parts before installing it. So for under $2k you can have a newer engine.
Old 07-07-07, 12:52 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

iunno if she wants to turn a few hundo into thousands so fast, she said she has no money. . .
the stock motor is damn strong anyways and will tick for a long time...i say just have him do the timing, and buy the Service Manuals...
they are VERY well written, and well worth the money, since the 2jz's manifold wraps over the valve cover...i wouldn't want to do that work either(i hate taking apart 5 things to get to 1 thing)...but that is your call. Either cough up some more $, or do it yourself and expect some down time.

miles on your car?
Old 07-07-07, 01:06 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

replace the seals (they are cheap and easy)and save up on the timing belt. The leak will most likely be fixed by the valve cover seals.

If a car wasnt worth fixing just because a timing belt needed doing; then this would be a crazy world. Dont listen to him; the SC is a GREAT car.
Old 07-07-07, 02:20 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

A T-belt on a 2JZ is a cakewalk. Seals (both cam and the crank seal is EASY). The dist-o-ring is nothing. (two 8mm ,one 12mm bolts and done) Valve covers are a little bit of fun but no big deal for any one that has some time under the hood of a car. These are all common problems for not only our cars but most all cars out there. Our motors will run forever if we do a little work here and there.
Old 07-07-07, 02:35 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

par ur car and take the bus like i used to and save some doe
Old 07-10-07, 12:15 PM
lalexigirl
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks But More Questions

My mechanic had replaced 2 quarts of oil last week which means the leak is somewhere but I'm not burning oil inthe exhaust. In 1 week he's found it leaking but do we think it's from an internal or external oil leak from the distributor? I dunno. Valve cover seals and valve cover gaskets seem to be 2 different things. I want to address the most important 1st and not make a bunch of repairs that may not be necessary since I'm an HR Consultant and not a Mechanic. I do love my Lexus! Did I mention it's a stick? I only drive stick but this is my 1st Lexus before this I was Toyota Corolla Girl!

Originally Posted by 2JZ_SC
A T-belt on a 2JZ is a cakewalk. Seals (both cam and the crank seal is EASY). The dist-o-ring is nothing. (two 8mm ,one 12mm bolts and done) Valve covers are a little bit of fun but no big deal for any one that has some time under the hood of a car. These are all common problems for not only our cars but most all cars out there. Our motors will run forever if we do a little work here and there.
Old 07-10-07, 12:27 PM
lalexigirl
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks But More Questions

I'm the 2nd owner bought it in 2000 with 35K miles. I replaced the clutch when I first bought it cuz they were not clutch people. It's now 95K miles. I replaced the battery in February because stupid Sears didn't check the alternator. Then my alternator had to be replaced. So this leak had been going on for a while. I switched mechanics just recently and he wants to make sure we replace only whats needed. It's not burning oil from the exhaust but it's leaking around the distributor but is it internal or external oil leak? I dunno. My mechanic is trying to pinpoint this.

Any ideas from your experience is helpful. I'm an HR Contractor not a mechanic. I just like my Lexus

Originally Posted by sc300max
How many miles are on the car/engine? If the oil leak is bad, then maybe you can just replace with a lower mileage used engine. 2jz-ge are pretty cheap nowadays, maybe around $500. Add in labor which is maybe a bit over $1k. Just replace all the belts and other hard to get to parts before installing it. So for under $2k you can have a newer engine.
Old 07-10-07, 12:36 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

if its leaking from the distributor its external. this is an easy fix with a cheap like 6 dollar o ring u can get from lexus or toyota
Old 07-10-07, 01:00 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Is you're mechanic lazy or something? Not to bash him or anything. But if he couldn't pinpoint where the oil leak is coming from, I don't think I would want him working on my car. Really the things that you have described can be fixed for peanuts. The only major thing that I see being time consuming is the Valve cover gasket. You live in Cali. So I really don't see it being to hard to find some fellow SC, hell even NA Supra guys that would be willing to help you out and get you're car running great. But Welcome to the Lexus, SC, SC 5spd family. Were a close knit group and like to help one another.
Old 07-10-07, 01:18 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Only 95K miles!?!? Dang, my car has 185K, and runs like a top. The gaskets are no big deal. The valve cover gaskets and timing belt are the only thing thats a little difficult. Its definatly worth fixing. Just find somebody that wont rape you!
Old 07-10-07, 02:05 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

It sounds to me like the mechanic is setting you up so he can take the car off your hands for much less than it's worth, fix it himself, and either keep it or sell it. Where are you in CA? If you are in SoCal, take it to Dynamic Auto Services and at least get Son's opinion before you get too worried about this.
Old 07-10-07, 09:09 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

where are you located. im in bay area and fix stuff for cheap. dont mind people watching me to learn a thing or two. if you get the timing belt done might as well have him do the front main while hes in there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Mechanic Says Car Not Worth Fixing