Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Th400 vs Built Auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 01:33 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just read this whole thread, I am glad I am one of the "sane" ones that went with a six speed. LOL Actually, I don't feel sane at all with the six speed. The cost is crazy, a Built BL tranny is a much cheaper solution. In the end, it really depends on the intended use of the car.
Old 04-26-08, 02:05 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'm "sane" too, lol. I went with a V161, 6spd pumpkin, one piece driveshaft, and triple carbon clutch. All for the low, low price of almost 8k. I actually bought it all within the last 2 weeks, and everything will be here on Wednesday. Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go put the Kotex back in my *** to stop the bleeding.
Old 04-26-08, 02:39 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aka paco
guy down here had a na-t supra making around 400 to 450hp

went through 3 boost logic transmissions

i personally feel like the only transmissions to have with 400+hp and the reliablity to beat on them are a R154, V160, or something like a TH400.

why are toyota tranny's so weak anyways? people run 500+hp on honda manual transmissons all day.
Honda's have no torque...

Ryan
Old 04-27-08, 07:38 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aka paco
guy down here had a na-t supra making around 400 to 450hp
went through 3 boost logic transmissions
i personally feel like the only transmissions to have with 400+hp and the reliablity to beat on them are a R154, V160, or something like a TH400.
why are toyota tranny's so weak anyways? people run 500+hp on honda manual transmissons all day.

The stock auto trans is not made by Toyota. It basic platform has been used by Toyota for years. Since at least the early 80's, and probably before that. The current 5-speed autos are still the same basic platform.
The basic trans has also been used by Nissan, and Jeep.
The off road community is crazy, and has lots of experience building this trans. In my opinion they are much harder on parts then drag racing is.

I built my trans with raybestos "blue" clutches and "coleen steel" plates. they claim this combo will hold 3X the torque capacity vs stock. On my trans they held 505 ft-lbs at the rear wheels. Stock valve body but shimmed all the springs for a firmer shift. The trans held with no slippage. I took it out cause it wasn't a great choice for a good 60 foot time, not due to it's failure.

Your friend needs to learn from his mistakes. Using the same part that keeps failing is a waste. The stock trans fails around 350 Ft-lbs or torque. A little under 400HP on a 2JZ is around 350Ft-lbs. He might be getting stock clutch plates with stiffer springs for a firmer shift, but no real torque capacity increase.

Last edited by rdm20fan; 04-27-08 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-27-08, 09:27 AM
blackops
Rookie

One of our cars have been doing 450whp on a stock 1JZ transmission for over a year. Is it sad and has signs of being kicked in the *****? yes, but it's still kickin.

Boost Logic is the only way to go for a built auto. If people claim to be blowing them up, then they don't have one. Period.

As far as TH400 goes, great for a drag only car... but without overdrive, forget any kind of highway driving on a normal basis.

As far as 6spds go? If you have a 1JZGTE, the V161 is superior to the V160, the gear ratios match the engine better.
Old 04-27-08, 11:02 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rdm20fan
The stock auto trans is not made by Toyota. It basic platform has been used by Toyota for years. Since at least the early 80's, and probably before that. The current 5-speed autos are still the same basic platform.
The basic trans has also been used by Nissan, and Jeep.
The off road community is crazy, and has lots of experience building this trans. In my opinion they are much harder on parts then drag racing is.

I built my trans with raybestos "blue" clutches and "coleen steel" plates. they claim this combo will hold 3X the torque capacity vs stock. On my trans they held 505 ft-lbs at the rear wheels. Stock valve body but shimmed all the springs for a firmer shift. The trans held with no slippage. I took it out cause it wasn't a great choice for a good 60 foot time, not due to it's failure.

Your friend needs to learn from his mistakes. Using the same part that keeps failing is a waste. The stock trans fails around 350 Ft-lbs or torque. A little under 400HP on a 2JZ is around 350Ft-lbs. He might be getting stock clutch plates with stiffer springs for a firmer shift, but no real torque capacity increase.
Well stated Bob... Thanks for illuminating some of the mass confusion on this thread about this subject...

I am really looking forward to getting my car back and running with the fully built BL tranny and the PCS stand alone to control it and the e-shift...I expect it to be a great combo. I also expect good 0-60 times with the BL tranny/Prfecision TQ combo...Even though I am quite aware that you do not believe the Precision TQ to be much better of a converter than a standard rebuilt stock one...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 04-27-08 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-27-08, 02:49 PM
lexhere27
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to find in the forum but what is the difference between the sc400 4 speed and the supra 4 speed that BL builds? Are they the exact same?
Old 04-27-08, 02:53 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lexhere27
I tried to find in the forum but what is the difference between the sc400 4 speed and the supra 4 speed that BL builds? Are they the exact same?
same... both are a340 transmissions... the lexus version uses 4 clutch packs, the supra one uses 6... when it's built, they are pretty much the same thing...

a good friend of mine ran consistent 11.50's on a built BL transmission with stock twins, stock sidemount and no nitrous on his supra...