Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Th400 vs Built Auto

Old 06-17-07, 09:28 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DIrEctQL
but notice everyone sane switched to 6 speed or some kind of variant of TH400.
Hey Direct, you're not suggesting that I am not sane, are you......I must be sane, I have a V160 in the background...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 06-17-07 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-17-07, 09:38 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Hey Direct, I am glad we are having this exchange. It will mean all will learn, hopefully. I admitted that I am not experienced with the Built Toyota Tranny, right in my last post, so no need to beat on that one again and again. I just went to SP racings site, and they have a sale right now for $3500 to $5000 depending upon which stage one selects. There are no details that I saw as far as if there is an adaptor plate for the 1UZ, it says electronics, but does this work with the 1UZ? I saw no adaptor for the drive shaft, I assume that the DS will not mate up to the trans mission without some kind of modification. That definitely did not seem to include installation, and I believe it has been established that the stock tunnel is not large enough to handle the tranny. Just a few issues that one would need to carefully research before they decided to go forward with a SP TH400... Direct, I have respect for what you are stating, just that you make several assumptions...For example, on my TT SC400, Untuned, with the stock Toyota Tranny and TQ converter ( I did have a MVP Stage 1 Shift Kit), I never Torque braked, and was able to quickly get off the line and smoke my tires before I shifted to second gear. I wonder what will happen when I have my built engine in and it is tuned? So why do I need to torque brake when taking off the line? Shifting the car manually with the auto is hardly even practical due to how quickly the car got to redline, so it is better to let it shift itself, as it knows what to do and when.

I really do not know what to expect..., I do know I will find out. Like I said, I have a V160 in the background, waiting for me just in case the Toyota cannot handle it.

Peace...

Ryan
I understand. But you will still be doing 1-2 shirt. You still use smaller pressure plate torque converter. You will be driving in traffic.... and on top of that you make a lot more power than stock motor did. You better check the trans filter a lot and get good cooler with always on fan. Also every time you will be doing trans-braking you will be shredding the pressure plates.

Max (RedSupra) knows a lot more about these transmissions. He can give you more tips.

I understand your arguments for A340, it's just not very practical in the end.
Old 06-17-07, 09:40 PM
DIrEctQL

Hey Direct, you're not suggesting that I am not sane, are you......I must be sane, I have a V160 in the background...

Ryan
When I say sane I mean "aware of the surroundings". Such examples are GadgetSC, Aliga, DaveH, and countless others.
Old 06-17-07, 09:40 PM
YouLose
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does 3 speeds work for daily driving?
Old 06-17-07, 09:43 PM
DIrEctQL

Ryan
PS. Insane people have problems letting go and get stuck. That's why they need a psychiatrist. I am lending my services for free. But this time only.
Old 06-17-07, 11:13 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

PS. Insane people have problems letting go and get stuck. That's why they need a psychiatrist. I am lending my services for free. But this time only.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Ryan
Old 06-17-07, 11:27 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

the boostlogic trans is $1900 and is awesome...

built a friends Supra to run mid 11's on stock turbos, stock IC, and just a 50 shot of nitrous on this trans and a 4k stall... stock weight and all...

definitely worth it...
Old 06-17-07, 11:45 PM
YouLose
Driver

Do you send boost logic your tranny and they rebuild it or you buy a new rebuilt one from them? And how long has your friend had the tranny for?
Old 06-18-07, 08:44 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YouLose
Do you send boost logic your tranny and they rebuild it or you buy a new rebuilt one from them? And how long has your friend had the tranny for?
You send them a working, non-modified tranny, they rebuild it and ship it back.

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 06-18-07 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-18-07, 08:49 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

When I say sane I mean "aware of the surroundings". Such examples are GadgetSC, Aliga, DaveH, and countless others.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm Insult? Funny one if so, Last time I checked, several people in the circles I hang with and myself, are "aware of our sorroundings"...

Remember the old cliche':

"Different Strokes for different folks" and different budgets will determine what products are purchased....

Ryan
Old 06-18-07, 11:21 AM
YouLose
Driver

Hmmmmmmmmmmm Insult? Funny one if so, Last time I checked, several people in the circles I hang with and myself, are "aware of our sorroundings"...

Remember the old cliche':

"Different Strokes for different folks" and different budgets will determine what products are purchased....

Ryan
Off-topic?
Old 06-18-07, 11:39 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

You Lose, just a little friendly humor.... Trying to have fun...

On topic, contact Zohair at BL and ask him any questions you want. Remember, if you elect to go the BL route, your tranny must be working and have no modifications to it. They will not support any other companies' modifications to the tranny, simply, send it to them stock. Thye do the rest. When you review their site, look at the new Billet Aluminum forward clutch piston they add.

Ryan

Off-topic?
Old 06-18-07, 12:02 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

The following comes from BL's site regarding their tranny:

This transmission was tested and developed on BoostLogic’s 9 sec@142mph daily driven street Supra. This transmission has been tested for over 25,000 miles and counting, as the Supra it was tested on is a daily driver. More than 40 low 10 second passes have been made on this transmission and it still drives like the day it was put in. It shifts FIRMLY and INSTANTLY. It doesn’t shift too hard to daily drive but will HOLD the power at the track. Hundreds of cars have been using this transmission and are loving it. The price of this transmission does not do justice to the level of performance this transmission puts out. The transmission is half the price compared to other competitors and is PROVEN to run 9's in the 1/4 mile. A working core exchange is required. Call for more details.

Our transmissions now include a proprietary BILLET AL6061 Forward Clutch Piston in all of our built transmission.

List of Single Turbo Cars running Boost Logic Built Transmissions: Sam Mahdavi(Mahdavi Motorsports) 9.4 @150mph
Yamil Widy(AAP) 9.6@148mph
Duy Bui 9.9@144mph
Jason Crooks 10.0@140
Dan Dixon 9.02 @ 157mph
Sean Ivey 9.84 @ 147mph

BL has a lot of credibility within the marketplace. That is why I made my choice.

Ryan
Old 06-18-07, 01:12 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The following comes from BL's site regarding their tranny:

This transmission was tested and developed on BoostLogic’s 9 sec@142mph daily driven street Supra. This transmission has been tested for over 25,000 miles and counting, as the Supra it was tested on is a daily driver. More than 40 low 10 second passes have been made on this transmission and it still drives like the day it was put in. It shifts FIRMLY and INSTANTLY. It doesn’t shift too hard to daily drive but will HOLD the power at the track. Hundreds of cars have been using this transmission and are loving it. The price of this transmission does not do justice to the level of performance this transmission puts out. The transmission is half the price compared to other competitors and is PROVEN to run 9's in the 1/4 mile. A working core exchange is required. Call for more details.

Our transmissions now include a proprietary BILLET AL6061 Forward Clutch Piston in all of our built transmission.

List of Single Turbo Cars running Boost Logic Built Transmissions: Sam Mahdavi(Mahdavi Motorsports) 9.4 @150mph
Yamil Widy(AAP) 9.6@148mph
Duy Bui 9.9@144mph
Jason Crooks 10.0@140
Dan Dixon 9.02 @ 157mph
Sean Ivey 9.84 @ 147mph

BL has a lot of credibility within the marketplace. That is why I made my choice.

Ryan
yup... they run their cars at San Antonio Raceway (where I used to live)...

awesome cars, and the guys are cool too
Old 06-18-07, 02:13 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does 3 speeds work for daily driving?
the author of the thread is asking a question, and it has been a number of posts without a direct response. Can someone with a TH400 daily driven comment about driveability?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Th400 vs Built Auto