Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Nissan Stanza electric fans in a 1992 sc300

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 10:48 PM
turbochris
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan Stanza electric fans in a 1992 sc300

Ok well i wanted to start out by saying high to everyone on this forum. I am new in here and just purchased this 1992 sc300 about 2 months ago. Anyways i am a Mitsu guy who just loves turbo's and going fast. But i am starting off slow with this car because i somehow talked my wife into letting me by it because it would be a nice daily driver...."hehe". THank god she have no clue about cars.
Anyways on to my install.............

I am putting a electric fan out of a early 1990's Nissan Stanza in my 1992 sc300 5 speed. I figured because i searched and didnt find anything with part numbers or pictures that i would kinda put something together for the next guy who comes along looking to do the same modification. I purchased everything to do this for less then 60 bucks total and it took me about 2 hours.

First thing............get the the junk yard and get a electric fan. I went tyhrough the formuns and read something about how a early 90 Stanza fan would be a very close fit. So i went to the local yard and there were like 4 of them there to choose from. Cost me $20 out the door for the fans with plugs.
Attached Thumbnails Nissan Stanza electric fans in a 1992 sc300-fans-3.jpg  
Old 06-14-07, 10:50 PM
turbochris
Driver

I then stopped at Pep-Boy's and purchased a fan controller part # 3653 for $29.99. I also purchased a couple of the fan zip-ties to hold it through the radiator. You will only need one or 2. This is all you will need for this little project.

I then took the fan out of the sc300 and did some measuring to make sure it was going to fit........... It was close....very close. Only thing that i had to do to make it look clean was remove the battery and trim the tray to fit. This was also the place i mounted the fan control
Attached Thumbnails Nissan Stanza electric fans in a 1992 sc300-fans-control.jpg  
Old 06-14-07, 10:55 PM
turbochris
Driver

Of course there was then making sure the fan was centered and mounted securely. THe one bolt on the stock fan shroud fit perfect.......the others were off just alittle to much. This is were the fan zip-ties come into place. You will see in the picture the passenger side bolt fits in place.
Attached Thumbnails Nissan Stanza electric fans in a 1992 sc300-fans-5.jpg  
Old 06-14-07, 10:59 PM
turbochris
Driver

On the other side you will see were the fan zip-tie is and that holds the fan perfectly. Its right below were the stock bolt goes. I just drilled a little hole and then pushed the tie though.
Attached Thumbnails Nissan Stanza electric fans in a 1992 sc300-fans-control-2.jpg  
Old 06-14-07, 11:16 PM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome, this kinda fresh blood is needed around here...keep us posted on how much this mod lowered your temperature.
Old 06-14-07, 11:17 PM
turbochris
Driver

I then ran the power wire to the fuse box to a 12v source thats on with the ignition. I grounded the fans directly to the frame of the car. With this fan controller you have the option of having the fans on all the time or you can set them at a desired temp. I chose to have them come on as soon as the themostat opened for the first time. The way to do this it to start the car and let it warm up. Once you feel the stat open and the rad. gets hot turn the controller till it comes on. After this the fans will come on after the car warms up. The good thing about doing it this way is if you are like me and are always messing with the car, when its cold and you turn the key forward the fans will not just start running. So after i had everything put together i took it for a ride around the block to make sure it was not going to overheat...........and all was good.

Just so everyone knows.......i live in TEXAS and its been in the mid to high 90's for the last 2 or 3 weeks and the car still runs cooler then it did with the stock fans. So this will work just fine.

As far as power goes......haaa..its a little bit of a difference ....and once owning a dyno shop i would say its about 8 to 10 WHP if i was lucky. But the throttle response is much better and after installing the intake pipe/filter i am getting about 340 mile per tank with the A/C on stop and go, beating the crap out of it. On my trip to San Antonio last week i got 407 miles on a full tank with the A/C on. This was cruising at around 75 mph all highway not driving like a ***.
I have a few more pictures of the install and i hope this will help anyone else looking to upgrade there cooling system at a affordable price.

thanks
chris W
Attached Thumbnails Nissan Stanza electric fans in a 1992 sc300-fans-6-intake.jpg  
Old 06-14-07, 11:18 PM
turbochris
Driver

More pictures..............
Attached Thumbnails Nissan Stanza electric fans in a 1992 sc300-fans-and-intake-8.jpg  
Old 06-14-07, 11:19 PM
turbochris
Driver

Attached Thumbnails Nissan Stanza electric fans in a 1992 sc300-fans-intake-7.jpg  
Old 06-14-07, 11:20 PM
turbochris
Driver

Attached Thumbnails Nissan Stanza electric fans in a 1992 sc300-fans-1.jpg  
Old 06-14-07, 11:21 PM
turbochris
Driver

final install.................
Attached Thumbnails Nissan Stanza electric fans in a 1992 sc300-fans-6-intake.jpg  
Old 06-14-07, 11:27 PM
turbochris
Driver

Originally Posted by bigmalik00
welcome, this kinda fresh blood is needed around here...keep us posted on how much this mod lowered your temperature.

Its hard to tell. The gauge is alittle lower but i havent put a digital gauge on it yet. I will once the turbo goes in.

As far as fresh blood.......haha i am that crazy guy that will saw his car in half if i know it will go faster. But it will have a clean install...........I have had several high high horsepower dsm's but i really am starting to like these cars. Might have to get one and make a drag car out of it.......wife permitting.....lol.........but she will tell me to sell my awd Talon and its not going anywhere so we will see here soon.

chris w
Old 06-15-07, 01:36 AM
DryBlaze
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice clean install. Nice DSMs I've always wondered whos dsm that was.
Old 06-15-07, 03:16 PM
turbochris
Driver

Originally Posted by DryBlaze
Nice clean install. Nice DSMs I've always wondered whos dsm that was.

Thanks...........the white car is no longer around. But the maroon ones in my garage waiting for its new clutch and tranny. It might be a little faster then the white car if i decide to gut it and make it a drag car. But i like my a/c.....lol .

chris w
Old 06-15-07, 04:15 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

if you want some cheap fans that fit good and pull probably close to twice as much cfm as those fans use factory camaro fans from an lt1 or the v6 of those years i got my set of camaro fans free from a redneck and they pull better than some flex a lites
Old 06-15-07, 04:39 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool writeup!! This is the sort of thing I love to do-- Stuff that makes some guys cringe--

"You put a Stanza fan in a Lexus????" Ha ha ha ha--

Love it--

I'm plannin on swapping from the SC4 hydraulic setup to this type, so I'll be glad to know this -- I might check out those camaro fans too though--

FWIW--
It may be worth looking at the fan from a Dodge Dakota (2001 era w/ 4.7 v8) -- It's got a really slim fit aux fan that's a pretty strong puller-- I towed with only the aux fan cooling that big iron block v8, so it would definitely work-- It cooled the motor fine without the clutch driven fan--

Last edited by MJHSC400; 06-15-07 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Nissan Stanza electric fans in a 1992 sc300