Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Funny how decisions get made for you

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 12:48 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Funny how decisions get made for you: My turbo SC reconstruction

I've got two cars that would be great swap candidates. All kinds of motors are available for them too; I've done all the research; in fact I've got all the documentation researched pretty much on wiring a MKIII Supra 1jz into the 240sx....

There's no AC in it though. And here we go! I was gonna drive the Lexus around for a while since it does have AC and is more comfortable to drive (power windows, locks, actually has a radio, etc). About a year ago I was driving it, and realized it had been overheating really bad. Steam coming out the head area and everything. Well I let it sit at the house for about 6 months.

I clean it up and start driving it again and there's no problem. Well with my new job (pays damn good money, enough to fund these kinds of projects without too much trouble), I have to drive on the interstate for about 10 minutes each way. Now its starting to show signs of magic disappearing coolant and bubbles and other crap like that.

Well, I was trying to decide what to do; I had a line on a GOOD price at a near-local engine importer for a 2jz-gte aristo motorset and was going to swap that into something. Well, I've got other things I have to do now as well, and I couldnt drop that much cash all at once. And I don't like credit cards for car mods; I figure if I can't pay for it in cash, then I should just wait.

So, the SC needs a headgasket. I'll give it a headgasket
And a beefy clutch and other supporting/maintenance mods while its out of the car. Then I'll be throwing a turbokit on it. So the goal is 500whp or bust

I'll be doing some writeup work on a journal as I do it and post it here. Maybe me and dejacky can combine forces and build a document truly to be known throughout the ages.

Prolly a ported/coated China manifold, 3" downpipe, midpipe, and a 4" catback. Maybe 550 injectors for starters and either a PT61 or PT67 turbo. Anything that I dont know about thats new these days? I've been in the turbo Nissan game for a while longer these days.

Last edited by Bean; 07-03-07 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-14-07, 03:42 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats awesome. Good luck and I look forward to reading your future posts!
Old 06-14-07, 05:53 PM
Scoupe3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you thinking of a stronger head as well? Is it recommended while running numbers like yours? I need to put a new HG as well so trying to figure things out.

Good luck with the NA-T build. Post a lot of pics.
Old 06-14-07, 06:15 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

There you are. No wonder I havent been seeing you on in a while. That would be a great project. Documenting every step of your project would be perfect for us Do It Yourselfers. I was looking into doing my motor upgrades myself also since my 300,000 mile monster is about ready to retire. But yeah set it up. You know I'll be there to track your progress. Im doing mine and my little brother's SC.
Old 06-15-07, 08:47 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Sweet JspecSC3, sounds like you got your hands full

I may do some mild porting of the head; probably on the intake ports, it depends on cost and stuff when I get to that point. I'll be doing the build at my parents house (who have so graciously given me a work area -- letting my dad use the engine hoist and stuff for his projects doesnt hurt all that much )

I've already ordered:
Cometic 2mm headgasket (well its more like a 1.9)
Toyota engine gasket set
ARP head studs
RX-7 550cc injectors
MSD 6A ignition box

I havent decided on a fuel control solution yet. It may be a VPC/GCC combo if its cheap, or it might end up being a trusty AFC + LS400 MAF again.

Probably ordering the fuel control stuff next, and then a clutch The kit from 98mkiv on the na-t forums provides just about everything else. But I'm starting to wonder if a T61 is going to be enough for 500whp at 18psi
Old 06-16-07, 11:09 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

I got the MKIV wheels on the car and it rides so much better than those old bent BBS wheels I had before

But it doesnt ride at all anymore. Its propped up and has a lot of things pulled from it. I've still got to disconnect a couple things (starter wire, driveshaft, interior harness, PS lines under motor), but its real close to getting yanked.

Anyone know offhand what size/type of head the ARP studs have on them?
Old 06-17-07, 10:22 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Good to see you getting back in the game Bean! I've been a little distant from the Lexus scene as well since I picked up my new daily driver (see sig )

Im planning on dropping another motor into the SC though. Or rebuild my blown 1jz.. Havent quite decided but I want to go single next time around... Keep us updated!
Old 06-20-07, 06:23 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Hey chino! Glad to see you posting as well. Hadnt seen you over at clubna-t in a long while. It seems there's some pretty cool new stuff out for the GE motor these days.... mainly parts from china; but they are copies of things that you can't mess up so bad Like dual fuelpump hangers, etc

My ARP studs came in the other day. I'm still awaiting my ignition box and headgasket. Motor is almost pulled; just gotta disconnect the driveshaft and the bottom bolt on the shifter and she can come out! Woo!!

I think I've done well enough given time constraints. We'll see how the rest goes. I'm still curious as to how difficult replacing the valvestem seals are. And how hard reassembling the head is.
Old 07-01-07, 08:03 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Got motor and tranny taken out of the car. Damn there sure was a lot to unbolt in that thing. My 240sx wasnt nearly as complex.

One big difference I noticed was the weight of the driveshaft... holy crap! That thing has to be about 2x the weight of the one in the 240sx; its a bit thicker; but JEEZ.

Tried to get the motor on a stand but the holes didnt want to line up; i've got another trick up my sleeve but I got tired. Summer sun really tends to beat down on you in the south

I've never seen such a dirty engine bay as mine. There was a slow oil leak and burnoff and its quite obvious. Its caked up everywhere. Its powerwasher and degreaser time!!! I'll prolly pull the head off on the 4th; I've got to pull the intake manifold off first; and there's a ton of crap under there.

Anyone got any data on how hard the valvestem seals are to do and general head work? I'm thinking about taking the head and extra parts to Carquest or something and have them do an inspection, general cleaning, and cleaning of the valves with new seals, etc.
Old 07-01-07, 08:16 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

SupraTT wheels that I just got with tires

Notice the firewall. Then notice the strut-tower. They are supposed to be the same color

Engine on the hoist with transmission in the background. Over to the left you'll see a dead KA24DE

New kitten. My last name is Durden. His name is Tyler... Tyler Durden. Yes he's that cool
Old 07-05-07, 03:43 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Well I'm about to order the Horsepowerfreaks Bronze clutch

Its supposed to handle far more power than the W58 could ever handle and I've heard good reviews of it.

I figure if I blow the W58, I'll be able to resell the clutch if I decide to change transmissions.
Old 07-22-07, 01:58 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

So no BHG. The stock gasket was fine. Was obvious I didnt used distrilled water back in the day with rust colored dust, but it was ok. It seems the rear heater hose on the back of the motor was ripped and was leaking water into the plug valley.

I still needed to do all of this though, the head is now OEM-ready and 70% of the parts are very clean. I got the arp studs, headgasket, and head on today and I'm about to leave for Sears to pick up the tool I need.

I cleaned the piston heads off using a wired brush; use the same wired brush on the block face, along with nice gasket scraper and PurplePower Industrial Degreaser/Cleaner. It worked pretty well, the surface is very smooth to the touch. Its not shiny or anything, but its smooth and clean.

Here's the head on but not torqued down
Old 07-22-07, 02:13 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

subscribed, good progress man. keep us updated with pics.
Old 07-27-07, 01:11 PM
Scoupe3
Rookie

Awesome work bean..........did you end up replacing the valve seals yourself? While you are at it why not change the motor and transmission mounts like OLT mentioned a few days ago.

Last edited by Scoupe3; 07-27-07 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-28-07, 12:15 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

I've got new Supra mounts already; tranny mount was fine.

I got the head torqued down yesterday evening and will be installing the camshafts and timing components today.

Quick Reply: Funny how decisions get made for you