Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-07, 11:20 AM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Question

ok so I already have aftermarket mufflers and tips simply for looks, but now i am looking to do a full exhaust all the way up to the headers.

I am thinking about running 3" piping, does that sound like a good size? i plan on twin turboing the V8 in the next year hopefully so i think bigger piping might be necessary down the road, what does everyone usually do on the SC400?

and also the SC has three cat converters right? where is a good place to buy some high flow ones, is their a part # for it and how much should i be looking to spend on each one?

thankyou
Old 06-05-07, 11:53 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2.25" is about the max that should be used on a stock 1uz. Since you are going to turbo soon, 3" or larger should be adequate. Be advised, that 3" complete exhaust on the stock motor will destroy your low end. You may be better off waiting until you do the turbo. This way you can be sure you have the right size matched to your needs.

2 cats and 1 resonator (at least that's how I understand it). Remove them all and use 2 Magnaflow cats.

www.magnaflow.com
Old 06-05-07, 12:07 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mkorsu
2.25" is about the max that should be used on a stock 1uz. Since you are going to turbo soon, 3" or larger should be adequate. Be advised, that 3" complete exhaust on the stock motor will destroy your low end. You may be better off waiting until you do the turbo. This way you can be sure you have the right size matched to your needs.

2 cats and 1 resonator (at least that's how I understand it). Remove them all and use 2 Magnaflow cats.

www.magnaflow.com

what exactly is a resonator? and is it illegal to delete it because i know doing that to the cats is and you will fail emissions.

do all magnaflow cats work or is their a specific part for our car? and what kind of losses in power are we looking at (roughly) if i do put in the 3" now? i'm really impatient, a short coming of mine for sure
Old 06-05-07, 01:38 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A resonator is exactly what it means. It resonates the exhaust sounds so it is quieter. It is not illegal for emissions if you get rid of the resonator since it is just there to reduce sound. Not sure about legality of sound levels in GA, but I'm pretty sure its not too loud if you get rid of the resonator. I believe user RedPhoenix deleted the resonators on the sc400 and he posted vid clips of it too so you might want to check that out to see how it sounds. I agree with mkorsu that you should wait until you turbo your car before getting exhaust work done. What if the turbo plans fall through? You will have wasted the money and be stuck with a 3" exhaust system.
Old 06-05-07, 01:55 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/universal/910.asp

91000 series, or 94000 series. You will need to determine if you need/want a variant of those, ie single/dual sensor, no sensor, etc.
Old 06-05-07, 02:28 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

ok well i just went by the shop and i think what i'm going to do is put on 2.5" piping, delete the resonator, and put in 2 magnaflow high-flow cats.

he said each cat is 250$ and the piping and labor would be about 200$

so roughly a total of 700$... that sound like an okay price?
thankyou for all the comments, i really appreciate time taken out to help me
Old 06-05-07, 02:34 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Those high flow cats you can get on the net for under $100. I went from a 94005 (right) to the 93506 (left) (a little wider) on my RX300.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Question-img_2129.jpg  
Old 06-05-07, 02:40 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Nope.

You can find the cats online for less than $75 each. Plus, I would still recommend the 2.25" exhaust. Bigger WILL effect the performance of a car that already is not good off the line. The 2.5" will make it worse!

Search here at CL on exhausts and you'll find the model #'s and locations where members have purchased.
Old 06-05-07, 02:43 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I agree with mkorsu, I have 2.5 inch piping on my RX300 except for the y pipe after the resonator that is a 2.25 inch for each pipe. You won't notice much more difference going up to 2.5 inch from 2.25 in terms of exhaust, and if you need 2.5 or higher, think about forced induction.

mkorsu, you are right, my model cost $92, but there are other places where it can be found even on ebay.

In Mexico, the same cat that cost me $92 will cost in excess of $300 due to customs costs and ... greed.
Old 06-05-07, 08:03 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

oh dang, they're tryin to rip me a new one then.
guys who said they have got them elsewhre cheaper, mind sharing the local and parts #?
Old 06-05-07, 08:53 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

a few things:

(1) resonators are legal whether on the exhaust or removed from the exhaust. They only act like a ginat gymnasium for the sound waves to bounce around for a while prior to exiting the vehicle.

(2) 2.25" piping on a dual exhaust is capable of handling 400 or more hp without choking the top end. Keep in mind that every increase in pipe diameter exponentially increases pipe corss-sectional area. This means anything great than 2.25" will give exhaust gases FAR too much room to get "lost" on their way out of the back of the exhaust. This is cancer to your bottom end performance. In addition, the larger pipe will give the sound waves an exponentially more direct route out the back of the exhaust making your car extremely loud. A 3" dual exhaust would not only wake the dead, but pull your V8 like a bat out of hell from 12-15k rpms...oh wait. A 2.25" exhaust would give you a hell of a pull from 4k-6k...much better.

(3) Good high flow cats can be easily had for under $100. Great high flow cats can run you twice or three times that, but the returns are very diminishing.

(4) If you are going to twin turbo, save your $1200 for the full exhaust from the headers back and use that toward turbo manifolds. The 15whp you gain from the full exhaust is not worth it.

If you want to hear the effects of deleting the resonators, I did just that for $40 via my local exhaust shop. I reused the stock muffs, and -in conjunction with my BFI- it sounds pretty damn good for such a small investment:
http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...ation_0001.flv
Old 06-05-07, 08:56 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

ps. I too am looking into FI. It will happen at some point down the line. In the meantime, I just wanted to hear my engine a bit for the least amount of coin: to know that the car when running so as not to grind the starter, etc. Since deleting the resonators, I have gotten infinitely many more racing propositions. It definitely no longer sounds factory.
Old 06-05-07, 10:56 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

awesome post Blizzy, you never fail to impress. I think you have convinced me to go delete the resonator since the sound is what really made me want to get the exhaust. I will just wait until AFTER i get the forced induction on there.

So i guess now i shift my question...

Where can i get an excellent twin turbo setup for the 1UZ? and how much are we looking at so i have a goal set for myself
Old 06-06-07, 06:23 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Lucky SC
Where can i get an excellent twin turbo setup for the 1UZ? and how much are we looking at so i have a goal set for myself
No such animal. If you want to turbo the 1UZ it will be a complete custom job. Search for posts by member "Chrisman" and you'll see what it entails. Chris built a full custom setup for the 1UZ for another member's car.

It's not easy and it will cost a substantial amount of coin!

Don't let that stop you though, just be prepared to be spending in excess of $10k all said and done.
Old 06-06-07, 09:21 AM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mkorsu
No such animal. If you want to turbo the 1UZ it will be a complete custom job. Search for posts by member "Chrisman" and you'll see what it entails. Chris built a full custom setup for the 1UZ for another member's car.

It's not easy and it will cost a substantial amount of coin!

Don't let that stop you though, just be prepared to be spending in excess of $10k all said and done.

10k just for the turbo!?!?! or the project all together

if its 10k just for a turbo then i am afraid i am out and will have to be a follower and go the 2JZ-GTE route or 1JZ

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question