Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC 300 Problem!! Starts but won't crank. Need suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 07:07 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC 300 Problem!! Starts but won't crank. Need suggestions.

Ok, first off I drive a '92 SC 300 5 speed.

Last night I was driving doing about 30mph, and the car shut off on me. I tried to immediately restart it and got nothing. I waited a little bit and tried to start it, it cranked up for about 10 seconds, idled around 1200 rpm like it was cold and acted like it was going to run and fell on its face. It kept doing this intermittently. I would give it gas and got nothing, then all of a sudden it would rev out, then it would die. Today I checked the fuel pump (Had a walbro in there from about 2 years ago) and put the stock fuel pump back in. Did the same thing, and got it started but it died after it ran for a few seconds. I put some gas in the car too, as I thought maybe the fuel was low and the gauge was wrong..didn't work. Next I took off the catalytic converter as i figured it could be clogged after 15 years..didn't change a thing. I have a new battery as well...reading 12.75 volts.. it's working fine. didn't notice any CEL when it was running either. Replaced two plugs that looked a little fuel fouled..cleaned off the distributor... checked my vacuum hoses. I'm stumped right now. It hasnt cranked in a couple of hours...I need some advice...this is my only car!
Old 06-02-07, 07:44 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

could be a clogged fuel filter, they are a pain in the a** to change sometimes. u need alot of wd-40 or something like it and line wrenches so u dont strip the fuel line nuts. oh one more thing. if u replace the filter make sure theres little to no fuel in the tank as the filter is lower than the tank and gas will leak till u get the new filter on and tight
Old 06-02-07, 07:54 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

forgot to mention, i took the fuel filter out of the system completely and it didnt work, so it's not that.
Old 06-03-07, 04:07 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps it's a fauly MAF sensor, or igniter. I just fixed my igniter, which had very similar symptoms.
Old 06-03-07, 09:24 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

I went through the exact same thing a week ago and it ended up being my Fuel Pump ECU... I just jumped it and it runs fine. Under the hood next to the intake manifold, there is a Diagnostic port. All the way to the left on the port, when you open it there is a sticker inside the cap. There will be a B+ and a FP. It should be the bottom plug all the way to the left, and the top on the same side. If the car starts and runs fine then its your Fuel Pump computer. Worked wonders for me.
Old 06-03-07, 06:20 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YumaSC300
I went through the exact same thing a week ago and it ended up being my Fuel Pump ECU... I just jumped it and it runs fine. Under the hood next to the intake manifold, there is a Diagnostic port. All the way to the left on the port, when you open it there is a sticker inside the cap. There will be a B+ and a FP. It should be the bottom plug all the way to the left, and the top on the same side. If the car starts and runs fine then its your Fuel Pump computer. Worked wonders for me.

Thank you so much for the input.. I just went and tried it and the car starts and runs fine now. This is why I love the Lexus community, so helpful