Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 exhaust ideas, i need your input please

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 09:14 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default SC300 exhaust ideas, i need your input please

so ive done some searching and stuff about the SC300 exhaust and im mainly finding stuff about the 400 but from what ive gathered(and i could be completely wrong so feel free to let me know) deleting the resonators on the 400 sounds pretty good, would this be the same for the 300 and besides sound, would this free up the exhaust any? also i was thinking of deleting the center part of the exhaust before the Y-pipe(i think its the Cat) and replacing it with 2.25 inch tubing, would this help me performance wise(ive read that it will in the 400 but im not sure if it will apply to the 300). also if i were to have this replaced with piping, i would probably have to cut it out myself and then take it to a muffler shop since they arent allowed to remove catalytic converters correct?

The orange part is what i was thinking of replacing with 2.25 inch piping
Old 05-29-07, 01:08 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just noticed your sig saying your going Turbo by the end of the summer. Why not wait to get theRIGHT size exhaust then, like a 3in turbo back. Just a thought
Old 05-29-07, 01:19 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocessk3
so ive done some searching and stuff about the SC300 exhaust and im mainly finding stuff about the 400 but from what ive gathered(and i could be completely wrong so feel free to let me know) deleting the resonators on the 400 sounds pretty good, would this be the same for the 300 and besides sound, would this free up the exhaust any? also i was thinking of deleting the center part of the exhaust before the Y-pipe(i think its the Cat) and replacing it with 2.25 inch tubing, would this help me performance wise(ive read that it will in the 400 but im not sure if it will apply to the 300). also if i were to have this replaced with piping, i would probably have to cut it out myself and then take it to a muffler shop since they arent allowed to remove catalytic converters correct?

The orange part is what i was thinking of replacing with 2.25 inch piping
If youre definately doing the 1jz swap by the end of the summer,I would just hold off til afterwards.
As far as the GE exhaust. Lose that precat first.
The stock precat is very restrictive after 15 yrs (just look inside it and youll see what i mean)........ And thats where i would start looking at upgrading . (IE a hi-flow cat w/ a flex joint, a test pipe, or xerd headers, etc) Even an OEM replacement will make a big difference.
Then depending on your $ situation adding mandrel bent all the way to the muffler(s).
I had a cracked flange on my precat. Wich caused my car to run rich , ultimately melting it inside. It was like a softball of melted metal. .....I knew i was going na-t within a few weeks so i didnt want to waste money on a new one . So i gutted it out. **I definately dont recommend it**
First i tried for a couple hours unsuccessfully with a chisel and hammer. Then I alternated a tire prybar and an impact drill to break through . I honestly dont know how any air was getting around that mess . https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...92641&cat=3850
Old 05-29-07, 07:41 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ditch the car and leave the resonators... that will give it more of an exhaust note... if its still too quiet for you, ditch the resonators... or just get a full exhaust

EDIT- i just read about you going turbo soon... if thats the case i wouldnt keep any part of the exhaust stock... i ran the stock exhaust with hollowed cat for a while and then unbolted the mufflers for a while so i just ran the resonators... eventually went with a catback...
Old 05-30-07, 08:04 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

ok, thanks guys. youve been pretty helpful, i guess i'll learn some patience and wait till ive got the 1jz in and then get a nice brand name exhaust lol
Old 05-30-07, 11:04 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

3" Back + 2 mufflers. FTW