Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

could somebody teel me about the paper clip to the +b to fb

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-07, 12:48 PM
clean
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could somebody teel me about the paper clip to the +b to fb

yes my car was starting and i read a thread on using a paper clip hookin the +b to fb in the diagnostic plub under the hood, what dowes this actually do, cause i did it and my car turned right on, but when i press the gass pedals its sound like its about to go out, could sombody tell me whats goin on here, im excited that the car turned over but what do i need to fix the problem fully
Old 05-22-07, 01:04 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its used to read the ECU codes.
Old 05-22-07, 01:06 PM
clean
Driver

ok so when i take the paper clip out is it goin to not start again, so do i need to get a new fuel pump or what?
Old 05-22-07, 01:45 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if its for the same purpose that I am talking about. The one that I know of, you put the paper clip like so, then you read how many times the check engine light flashes. Thats how you get the code or you can simply borrow a scanning tool from autozone for free.
Old 05-22-07, 01:53 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, the diagnostic port you should be using in not under the hood but under the dash on the drivers side. Next, the ports you need to jump are TE1 and E1
Also, use a length of wire with both ends stripped. Makes life a LOT easier as opposed to trying to mash a clip in there.
Here's the link to where each is located and what each code is:

http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/

BTW. Search is your best friend here. I myself have posted on this at least 10 times, and each post comes up when I searched.
Old 05-22-07, 03:50 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mkorsu
First, the diagnostic port you should be using in not under the hood but under the dash on the drivers side. Next, the ports you need to jump are TE1 and E1
Also, use a length of wire with both ends stripped. Makes life a LOT easier as opposed to trying to mash a clip in there.
Here's the link to where each is located and what each code is:

http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/

BTW. Search is your best friend here. I myself have posted on this at least 10 times, and each post comes up when I searched.
Actually .... you can use either diagnostic port. I always use the one under the hood because i dont have to use a light to read where the wires go.
Old 05-22-07, 06:43 PM
clean
Driver

ok i dont see no engine light flashing when my car turns on, matter of fact when i put the paper clip in +B and FP the car turns on and idles perfect with no engine light on, but while im in park i press the gas it seems like its going to die but then the rpm needle reevs all the way up, o yea and i was wrong when i started this thread the correct ports im using are +B and FP together
Old 05-22-07, 07:53 PM
clean
Driver

o yea and i tried counting the engine light but it keep goin on and on i counted for like 30min lol nah i really did tho, so what does that mean if the light keeps blinking with no pause
Old 05-22-07, 08:13 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Sounds like you bought yourself into one heck of a problem with this car. Door not opening, car not starting, dying out, etc.......

Hope ya got this cheap......
Old 05-22-07, 08:26 PM
trangk
Driver

If the check engine light blinks continously with a 1 sec pause in between that means you have no trouble codes. Jumping B+ and FP just turns your fuel pump on. TE1 and E1 are the ports you need to jump to get the engine codes.
Old 05-22-07, 09:10 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

After reading this post, I went over to my brother's SC and jumped TE1 to E1 in the diagnostics port located in the driverside footwell. I then started the car. I got my code which was code 28 (Main O2 Sensor). After getting my code I then pulled the EFI fuse for 10sec. and my check engine light was cleared. Very simple to do.
Old 05-23-07, 06:15 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFiend
Actually .... you can use either diagnostic port. I always use the one under the hood because i dont have to use a light to read where the wires go.
Didn't know that. Good to know! Thanks
Old 06-21-07, 10:48 AM
MCG33
Pole Position

My car just recently began dying/not starting because of the fuel pump ecu, which I knew was a problem with the car when I bought it, but Ive driven a few thousand miles and it hadn't happened yet so I actually forgot about it. So after jumping b+ to fp it starts up no problem. I have a couple questions though and didn't want to start a new thread for this but:

1) When I opened up the diagnostics port, there was a ton of yellow grease all over the inside. I tried wiping up as much as I can but there is still a little bit in there. Anyone have any idea why there would be grease in there?

2) Now when I start the car there is a very loud wooshing sound coming from behind the rear seat, which I assume is the fuel pump running at full power now. I know its not good for it to be constantly running like that so should I only jump ports when the car won't start, or will I be ok driving around this way for the next week or so until I can get a new FP ECU?

3) Do I need to pull out the paperclip when the car is not running or can I just leave it in there?

Sorry if any/all of this has been answered before but I have been searching and haven't gotten any solid answers to my questions. Go easy on me I'm still learning.
Old 06-21-07, 12:07 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MCG33
My car just recently began dying/not starting because of the fuel pump ecu, which I knew was a problem with the car when I bought it, but Ive driven a few thousand miles and it hadn't happened yet so I actually forgot about it. So after jumping b+ to fp it starts up no problem. I have a couple questions though and didn't want to start a new thread for this but:

1) When I opened up the diagnostics port, there was a ton of yellow grease all over the inside. I tried wiping up as much as I can but there is still a little bit in there. Anyone have any idea why there would be grease in there?

2) Now when I start the car there is a very loud wooshing sound coming from behind the rear seat, which I assume is the fuel pump running at full power now. I know its not good for it to be constantly running like that so should I only jump ports when the car won't start, or will I be ok driving around this way for the next week or so until I can get a new FP ECU?

3) Do I need to pull out the paperclip when the car is not running or can I just leave it in there?

Sorry if any/all of this has been answered before but I have been searching and haven't gotten any solid answers to my questions. Go easy on me I'm still learning.
Answers I can give you:
1: I think the grease is a perservative kinda thing, Its in all the plugs and ports in all the cars I've owned, probably helps keep dust and crap outta the plugs.

2:I had the exact same thing happen to me and I leave it jumped, never have any trouble. My MPG hasn't dropped, and I notice no gain or loss in power, so its pretty much normal. The loud whooshing noise isn't really that loud, and if its actually very audible.. you might want to check your pump.

3: The fuel pump on comes on when you turn the ignition to the second slot. I thought I would only jump it when it wouldn't start, but I can't start my car at all without jumping the fuel pump. My Fuel Pump ECU is totally shot. I just left a soft wire jumping the +B and FP and its been running great ever since. Sometimes I'll hit some bumps and the car will shut off in the middle of the road and I know exactly why, the wire comes out sometimes. I even tested my vehicle using an AFR Gauge and its not running rich or anything.. I'd just leave it in there.
Old 06-21-07, 08:03 PM
MCG33
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YumaSC300
Answers I can give you:
1: I think the grease is a perservative kinda thing, Its in all the plugs and ports in all the cars I've owned, probably helps keep dust and crap outta the plugs.

2:I had the exact same thing happen to me and I leave it jumped, never have any trouble. My MPG hasn't dropped, and I notice no gain or loss in power, so its pretty much normal. The loud whooshing noise isn't really that loud, and if its actually very audible.. you might want to check your pump.

3: The fuel pump on comes on when you turn the ignition to the second slot. I thought I would only jump it when it wouldn't start, but I can't start my car at all without jumping the fuel pump. My Fuel Pump ECU is totally shot. I just left a soft wire jumping the +B and FP and its been running great ever since. Sometimes I'll hit some bumps and the car will shut off in the middle of the road and I know exactly why, the wire comes out sometimes. I even tested my vehicle using an AFR Gauge and its not running rich or anything.. I'd just leave it in there.
Right on thank you! I feel much better now.

Took my ES to work today and left the SC in the garage with the clip still attached and started to worry that something would be wrong when I got back. But she just started right up and actually seems to be driving better than before so I will definitely leave it for the time being. I appreciate all the answers, you told me everything I needed to know!

Quick Reply: could somebody teel me about the paper clip to the +b to fb