Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car dies.. alot.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-07, 12:04 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dies.. alot.

Well, I'm in the stages of running around with my hair on fire to prepare for Deployment and now... the car doesn't want to stay running? I get in it, start it and it idles at like 700, stutters and shakes and dies. I tried starting it 10-15 times but it doesn't stay running... This is not a good time for this. It throws a code but I have no clue how to check it. Anyone have a clue?

1992 SC300 5 Speed. 105K Miles.
Old 05-22-07, 12:10 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the MAFS is connected properly. Unplug it an replug it just to be sure. This is stock? If it continues, try some injector cleaner (seafoam) and if needed a new Fuel ECU. these are the steps i was advised on this board and it worked like a charm for me.

Best thing would actually to get that code read.
Old 05-22-07, 01:15 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Start with the free stuff. Take it to a local Autozone and borrow their ecu scanners to read the code. Maybe its a bad idle air control valve? Did you do anything to the engine prior to this happening?
Old 05-22-07, 01:17 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Nothing has been done to the engine. I added HID's and a Car Stereo. I guess I'll unplug and replug the MAF and try reseting the ECU. I'll go from there. Its weird... its never given me trouble.
Old 05-22-07, 03:37 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300max
Start with the free stuff. Take it to a local Autozone and borrow their ecu scanners to read the code. Maybe its a bad idle air control valve? Did you do anything to the engine prior to this happening?
wow you can barrow it for free? hah i wanna try that =]

on top of what everyone said.. maybe check your trottle cable? its highly unlikely that thats the prob.. but i remember a friend of mine was messing with my friends s2k.. adjusting the cable.. and it would start idle about 500-700 revs and then bogs n stall.
Old 05-22-07, 04:16 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

You check ur codes by connecting te1 and e1 on the diagnostic ports, autozone cant help you out because u are ob1 not ob2 ... besides how u gonna get there if ur car wont start .... might be a loose vacuum hose or ur intake split where u can see it ... if u do a quick search for "codes" you should find a bunch of threads with a website that has all the codes on it ... let us know what u find.
-Jack
Old 05-23-07, 04:26 AM
stonewis
Pole Position

Mine did something like this too. I replaced the fuel pump ecu (located on the bulkhead behind the back seat panel on the driver's side) and voila, it runs!
Old 05-23-07, 06:20 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

sounds like a fuel problem, try to replace your fuel filter, or check fuel pump to see if it is working properly ^
Old 05-23-07, 08:14 PM
jonesy
Driver School Candidate

how much for a fuel pump ecu?????
Old 05-23-07, 11:15 PM
vg7z
Rookie

FUEL PUMP ECU! I had the same problem as well...itd start, then just choke out and die.

BTW im in the process of deploying too AL UEDEID AB, Qatar
Old 05-24-07, 06:44 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Well the best of luck to you as well fellow service member. I'll be in Anbar Province, so who knows if I'll come back lol.
Old 05-24-07, 09:20 AM
vg7z
Rookie

Damn, Anbar is a hot ****ing zone. best of luck to you too.
Old 05-24-07, 09:25 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same problem with my old 95 SC400... $2000 later, 6 visits to various Toyota and Lexus dealerships, and several nights staring at the engine...

Never fixed... Sold the car with the problem

Good luck!
Old 05-24-07, 03:32 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Well, thank kinda' kills my excitement! Lol
Old 05-24-07, 04:06 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

I did the jumper thing using the diagnostic port and the Check Engine Light just keeps flashing... never pauses or anything. I decided to : Remove the negative cable from the battery and wait a few moments, plug it back in and tighten it. Then, I unplugged the Fuse under the hood, freaking... EFI Fuse. Waited, attempted to start my car. It did the idle for 3 seconds, then putter and die. I turned the ignition to on, and did the jumper thing and it just starts flashing without stopping. Repeated the entire process but the second time around I put the jumper in before putting the key into the ON position.. same constant flashing. I have ALOT of running around to do and need this car running... kinda bugged because I can't figure it out :S

Quick Reply: Car dies.. alot.