Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Custom SC400 Exhaust on a Budget-- Pics--

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-07, 05:15 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Custom SC400 Exhaust on a Budget-- Pics--

I'm starting off with a custom center section made from 13ga 3" that splits off to a pair of 14ga 2.25" exits -- The front Y will be retained and stepped up from a 2.5" adapter on the stock front Y that flares up to fit the 3" center pipe-- The front 2.25 piping is fine and is good quality SS also--

I'm retaining the stock mufflers as they're straight thru 2.25's and are in perfect condition after 16 years in TX -- gotta love Texas cars! --

I'll eliminate ALL 3 resonators that happen to be full of the remnants of what the cats spit out into the exh. system, so hopefully that nasty raspy sound of that crap shaking around under throttle will go away and be replaced with a nice throaty growl--

I really tried to do this one right --- Hope it looks good enough--
This has cost me $25 so far-- I know a guy with a shop and a Tig --
It's not professional, but there aren't any leaks so it'll work-- and the wire he used is stainless so the welds will never rust-- The pipe is standard aluminized mild steel from any exh. shop-

I hand hammered the 3" to the proper shape and it came out perfectly-- after cutting the 2.25 to shape for the Y on the bandsaw with minimal grinding it fit perfect and was ready to weld --

The Videos--

At the muffler--

In Town-- Low Speed--

On The Interstate-- With no Drone!!

BONUS VIDEO! Some Guy Carrying a Lawnmower in the back of a Pontiac G6-- Only in Arkansas!!

Last edited by MJHSC400; 05-19-07 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-15-07, 07:40 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn..

when ur finish post up the price :] and maybe
post up how much youll sell em for if u make more ;]
Old 05-15-07, 08:08 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

I deleted the pair of resonators near that rear wheels. It made the car sound pretty sweet. For $50 at the exhaust shop, I think this is a great, simple upgrade to hear the V8. http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...ation_0001.flv

I think the center piece is a cat in California and a resonator everywhere else. I will be curious to hear how much deeper and louder the exhaust gets with the middle resonator cut as well.
Old 05-15-07, 08:11 PM
sc300gte
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats awesome, looks really good for $25 and exactly what im looking to make for my car. Can you confirm that the stock mufflers are straight thru 2.25"? If so, i plan on keepin the stock mufflers.
Old 05-15-07, 08:17 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

MJHSC400, you're going to be in for the ride of you're life.....it's gonna sound raspy as hell, and after a while you won't like it...Don't believe me, watch my video, basically the same setup, i had it running just like that with just the two precats and the piping as restriction.
Old 05-15-07, 10:01 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

blizzy ur mufflers wobble like crazy :]

but sounds nice! :]
Old 05-15-07, 10:21 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty sure the stock mufflers are 2.25-- the pipe that runs to them is flared right next to the inlet and the pipe just before it seems to be 2" --

Blizzy!! That sounds awesome-- Did you notice any gains from that change to your stock system??

I love the way these motors sound, and if it's too loud I can always add a pair of dynomax's -- they have a tendency to knock the wind out of any exhaust note-- but still sound deeep with no highway drone--

We'll see-- I may just love it!!

I think the 3" will give it a nice low rumble at idle too-- We'll see tomorrow--
Old 05-15-07, 10:27 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

3" i think is pushing it.. that will be loud.. but its your car :] 3" will sound sick as hell thuogh.. :]

i just went with mufflers and its pretty.. nice loud? :]
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...400Exhaust.flv
good luck man.. keep us posted
Old 05-15-07, 10:39 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

fwynn-- those n1's are pretty--

It's hard to tell-- are they louder or quieter??

Was the clip with the stockers after you chopped out the resonators??

Thanks for the input-- I'll try to get this setup installed tomorrow--

I really think 3" is fine for the center/shared chamber-- I just think it might get a little loud--
Old 05-15-07, 10:57 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just for shiza and giggles: Here MJHSC400, this is relatively what your car will sound like: Here
Old 05-16-07, 12:47 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds good man-- I hope it does sound like that-- but only a little quieter, which the mufflers should help -- (they muffle)
Old 05-16-07, 05:21 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Here's some more exhaust ****--

Old 05-16-07, 12:53 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Well--

Good news and bad news--

The SC exhaust system is NOT STAINLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I paid a guy to tig the center section in-- about $90 to be exact, then we found out it wasn't stainless-- very pissed off me--

BUT--

YOU GUYS should only end up paying about $45 to have a center section like this welded in--

The sound--

It sounds freakin awesome-- This is the perfect sound--
Absolutely NO DRONE!! The stock mufflers are awesome -- they sound just like a dynomax -- exactly like them-- Never raspy-- throaty-- quiet under normal throttle-- gets loud when it revs under heavy throttle-- zero drone while cruising--

The total cost--

$130 total--

pipe-- $29
labor-- $100 (that's just for welding the system in-- the labor for the Y was free)

Final Thoughts--

I see no reason to buy aftermarket mufflers if your stockers are in good shape-- My whole system was rust free, so the stockers are in great shape and sound exactly like I want it to--

You should be able to buy the pipe for $25~ $30 and have the Y made for $45 labor or very close to that-- Then the labor for welding it in should be about $45 too--

Butt Dyno Results--
It seems to be a little bit torquier through the revs and pull better on the top end without choking at 5500 anymore-- Everything from about 4k and up feels better for sure-- Maybe 5~9 hp total -- Sounds awesome though--
Old 05-16-07, 12:54 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Audio Link coming soon--
Old 05-16-07, 01:48 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

you make some fast work man. that is awesome that you are already done and installed. I will be anxious to hear how it sounds.

Your enthusiasm is obvious. It is great that you are so pleased about your new set up.

Quick Reply: Custom SC400 Exhaust on a Budget-- Pics--